Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just finished T is for trespass and it was good light reading .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2008, 12:18 AM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Join a health club -- not practical or frugal, and it's not my kind of thing
Try 24 Hour Fitness. At my local club, I had been a member three years. At time to renew they said if I prepaid for three years, then on renewal I could renew for $20 PER YEAR and that renewal rate would be GOOD FOR LIFE!!

I have renewed twice since then and it has indeed been $20 per year.

24 Hour is nationwide, so if they offer that deaL here they likely offer it everywhere.

One trainer told me they can afford to do this because the average new member actually comes to the gym for about six weeks then is never to be seen again. So they reward the folks who actually show up year after year with this incredible renewal deal. Plus they get lots of referrals for new members from their diehard, year-after-year renewed members who for sure believe in the benefits of what a gym such as 24 Hour Fitness offers. I guess the "satisfied customer" testimonial theory.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:53 AM   #123
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Try 24 Hour Fitness. At my local club, I had been a member three years. At time to renew they said if I prepaid for three years, then on renewal I could renew for $20 PER YEAR and that renewal rate would be GOOD FOR LIFE!!

I have renewed twice since then and it has indeed been $20 per year.

24 Hour is nationwide, so if they offer that deaL here they likely offer it everywhere.
What a great deal!!

Unfortunately, according to the club locator on their website they have no clubs within 50 miles of either my present location (New Orleans, Louisiana), or my planned ER location (Springfield, Missouri). Oh well!! C'est la vie. That would have been a terrific deal.

However, my present gym does offer reduced rates (70%) for those willing to attend during limited hours (basically, those weekday hours during which working people usually cannot attend, plus limited Saturday hours). So, I guess I will take advantage of that after ER, until we can manage the move to Springfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Just finished it yesterday. I highly recommend it, although there are some things I don't completely agree with. I think Nords did a book review on it.

How it's changing my life:
  • I'm trying to exercise 6 days per week instead of 4. Really don't want to, but they've got me convinced it will be worth it. I plan to do this too in ER, though while working I seem to only exercise 3-4 days per week.
  • Weight training. I love, love, LOVE weight training! My kind of fun.
  • Have always eaten healthfully, but will make some changes. I'll have to read this book. Right now, I think I am eating mostly healthy food although I DID have a piece of King Cake yesterday at work.
Things they strongly recommend, but that I won't do
  • Join a health club -- not practical or frugal, and it's not my kind of thing It's my kind of thing, and I belong to a good one.
  • Buy a heart rate monitor -- I can measure my throat pulse even while running Would love to have one! I am no good at the throat pulse measuring. This is definitely on the list for "what to do with my economic stimulus money".
  • Join clubs and do lots of social stuff -- I don't swing that way Me, either! Ugh.
  • Explore my spirituality -- no thanks I do a lot of this - - introspection and centering and such.
  • Buy a new bicycle -- I've got a great bike which is not as efficient or light as the newer ones, but burning calories is the goal here All I have is an exercycle right now. Maybe after ER.
  • Shave every morning -- no, sorry (I'm of the beardless gender)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Do you read cookbooks? DW says they might as well be SciFi...after she reads a recipe she thinks, "Yeah, like that's gonna really happen!".
yes, French Laundry is a very good one. Man's Search for Meaning is very powerful.

reading now (yes, bouncer here):
Taming the Spirited Child
The Optomistic Child
Kiterunner
The Art of the Long View
Wealth and Democracy
and From Wall Street to the Great Wall
Old 01-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Luckily we've had some rainy days in Florida because I have lots to read .Thanks all !
Old 01-30-2008, 11:44 PM   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
My cynical self warns me if the 73-year guy, Chris, drops dead anytime soon, well, I'm gonna be disappointed.
Especially if it's before I can beat the crap out of have a chance to thank him for bringing that book to spouse's attention.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:21 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I really don't see much point in keeping up many other connections, though.
In some ways I envy you this attitude. It creates freedom.

I am a slave to my needs, and there is nothing I can do about it. I like to read, like to do solitary things, but if I don't have something social going on at least every other day I find it boring, and I will be looking pretty hard to get something happening.

As for current reading, I am reading Alan Furst's Kingdom of Shadows, set in Europe in the late 30s.

Ha
Old 01-31-2008, 07:41 AM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

I just finished Larry Brown's posthumously published "A Miracle of Catfish." He was one of my favorite living writers. Am pretty bummed that Catfish was the last new book of his that I'll ever ready.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:13 AM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

What is with the shaving every morning?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:48 AM   #130

My guess: Shaving--the facial contortions involved while doing it--flexes facial muscles resulting in a younger-looking face.

We could just all make faces in the mirror everyday (or to our partners) and get the same facial muscle exercise!
Old 01-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #131
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
In some ways I envy you this attitude. It creates freedom.

I am a slave to my needs, and there is nothing I can do about it. I like to read, like to do solitary things, but if I don't have something social going on at least every other day I find it boring, and I will be looking pretty hard to get something happening.
Maybe I will feel that way too, after ER. Right now I am still at work, and I see more people than I'd like. When I'm on vacation, the last thing I would want to do is socialize. There are many things that I want to do in ER and a few involve being around other people, such as going to the gym, but none involve actually having ties with any of them.

I cannot recall ever being bored when alone. Just never happens. For me, boredom usually results from listening to someone that is saying boring things, or being pressured into watching a boring movie by someone, being stuck at work, or some such thing.

Last night I began The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need by Andrew Tobias. Seems correct but the writing style is a bit chatty. I'll know more as I get into it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-31-2008, 01:27 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There's one chapter that says "OK, you're going to live a longer and vibrant life. You're still going to get ugly, but there are some things you can do..."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yny.jpg (124.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-31-2008, 01:42 PM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Maybe I will feel that way too, after ER. Right now I am still at work, and I see more people than I'd like. When I'm on vacation, the last thing I would want to do is socialize. There are many things that I want to do in ER and a few involve being around other people, such as going to the gym, but none involve actually having ties with any of them.

I cannot recall ever being bored when alone. Just never happens. For me, boredom usually results from listening to someone that is saying boring things, or being pressured into watching a boring movie by someone, being stuck at work, or some such thing.
Meetings are boring.

Watching the squirrels is not boring.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:17 PM   #134
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Meetings are boring.

That says it all! When I emerge from a meeting and know it is my last one, I'll be ready to celebrate. Should be only about 22 months from now.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-31-2008, 02:29 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Meetings are boring.

What about watching squirrels while in a meeting? We have trees around our conference room, and I'm always watching them during staff mtgs, etc.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
What about watching squirrels while in a meeting? We have trees around our conference room, and I'm always watching them during staff mtgs, etc.
I spent most of my career in the basement; the only things to watch were mice and roaches.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:20 PM   #137
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Guess Im going to be one of those old miserable sob's because the whole shave every day thing sucks.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #138

I don't shave every day now, and I work full-time. I know for certain that I won't be doing it when I'm ER.

Currently reading 'Duma Key' by Stephen King. After loving almost everything he published in the 80's and very early 90's, I've been disappointed
by King's efforts of the last 15 years or so. I keep coming back for more, though. I'm 200 pages in, and it's been thoroughly enjoyable thus far.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:54 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
I don't shave every day now, and I work full-time. I know for certain that I won't be doing it when I'm ER.

Currently reading 'Duma Key' by Stephen King. After loving almost everything he published in the 80's and very early 90's, I've been disappointed
by King's efforts of the last 15 years or so. I keep coming back for more, though. I'm 200 pages in, and it's been thoroughly enjoyable thus far.
Me too , it was almost like he wasn't writing them . I've had" Lisey's story "or over a year and can't seem to get into it .
Old 01-31-2008, 05:40 PM   #140
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I have shaved every morning since I was 16 -- weekends, vacations and camping trips included. I do not feel that the day has really started until I do.