Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Something happening to my daughter or my grandsons . The skyway bridge .
I love going over that bridge - amazing view. Can't think of anything I'm afraid of, maybe Alzheimer's, though I have no family history of that, so I don't really worry about it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
May I ask if this has been a life-long thing or something that happened later in life? I used to have no problems flying but now I cannot get on an airplane due to the feeling of being buried alive. Silly I know. Nothing to do with "how does it stay in the air" or "What if we crash". It's the claustrophobia after flying for 30 yrs.
Yeah... well, I'm not sure. As a kid, maybe 7 years old, some of the neighborhood bullies squished me, head first, into a small galvanized barrel... closed the lid, and rolled me around the street... screaming, terrified panic.

After that, not too bad except for dreams.

Next time... in a canoe, with my son maybe 1974. A tributary of the DuPage River, ( Chicago suburbs) where it ran under route 88. They used two 7 foot steel tubes to run the river under the 6 lanes of highway. We were riding the river after a storm, and there was 2 feet of water in the tubes... enough to ride through, but with the water moving quite fast. Shoulda checked it out, but didn't. Rode the canoe quickly through to the end on a fast current, and came up against vertical steel bars, as in a jail... No way out... Occasionally still dream about that kind of thing. BTW... we struggled and made it back alive.

Last bad experience... and I too, spent a lot of time flying before retiring.... was on a DC9, I think... Chicago to LA... 3-5-3 seating, and I was midplane and middle of the "5"....Sitting next to a 350 lb lady, and a 6ft+ 275lb man... both asleep. Started sweating, then eyes glazed and began to shake. Panic and into the aisle, climbing over bodies. Stewardess... "You can't stand in the aisle, Sir"! Then, pity... she understood... moved to first class, double martini, and the world gradually returned to normal.

One more... the next and last flight... end of my pre-retirement... Oakland to Portland to give an important presentation at a big meeting...same damned seat... Lady with a crying baby... Me trying to soothe the 6 month old... Little begger threw up all over me... and into my suit coat pocket.

This could go on forever... would someone begin a thread "Flying Adventures"
Am sure others here have had moments of terror or humor in the years of flying... Deserves separate treatment.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Do you sleep with one eye open?
Gripping my pillow tight

Old 02-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The usual - Alzheimer's, blindness, paralysis, anything that takes away the ability to make my own decisions and act on them.

Fear of falling is generally built in as Rich said. When we went on the zip line tour last spring the hardest part was overcoming that and stepping off the platform. Dunno what my pulse rate was but I'm sure it was through the roof. Two seconds later I was having a ball.

Fear of fire is another primal one - every animal is afraid of that. At least the sane ones are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatumPoint5 View Post
Might be related to the difference between the "Fear of Falling" and the "Fear of Heights".

Fear of falling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Acrophobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't have a fear of heights, or even a fear of falling. I do have a perfectly reasonable fear of landing.

I don't think a fear of fire is primal. I think in animals it's a caution about the unknown. I've seen raccoons and skunks walk right up to a campfire trying to find out what smells so good (burgers and dogs, etc). I know I personally love fire. I'm always the guy on the camping trip that's building up the campfire. DW and I have been known to bring a bucket of chicken and drinks to watch fire departments burn down buildings. Fire is your friend.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #65

I had a fear of calling folks up on the phone. At my job I answered calls, and I even volunteered to take fundraising calls for the symphony. It took me over a year before I called Ms.G for our first date. Well Ms.G would always do the heavy lifting for me until one day. I found a volunteer activity that was really important to me, Ms. G said make the call yourself. It worked, later I was thinking what a silly guy I was, I may have missed out on a chance of a lifetime project that shaped who I am today.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rats

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

1) My boyfriend dying early (he is 17 years older than I).
2) My cats dying early. They are my only kids.
3) Me dying early. All that hard work for nothing.
4) My 2 sets of parents wanting to live with us & support them....in our 800 SF house someday. None of them have worked & saved enough. One set is so far in debt & will never change their ways. The other set has not had real jobs since they were in their 40's, and I don't think they have the assets to ER. Ugh!

Sent from my EVO using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-05-2015, 09:52 PM   #68
Dryer sheet aficionado

Bears

I tried to make a lot of noise when walking trails in Yellowstone.
Did the same thing after doing the trails at the Great Smoky Mountain National Park

drowning and dementia are big ones too
Old 02-06-2015, 12:37 AM   #69
Dryer sheet wannabe

Large stray dogs. Encountering one while out for a walk will always trigger a feeling of panic.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-06-2015, 07:39 AM   #70

People who get way too angry over minor stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuma View Post
Large stray dogs. Encountering one while out for a walk will always trigger a feeling of panic.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Oh yeah, any stray dog. I think this is a pretty rational fear.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Whatever is in Room 101!
Old 02-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not being able to get a breath.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Clowns
Old 02-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #75

Babies - way scarier than spiders, snakes, or large stray dogs. The worst they can do is bite you, but a baby can set back early retirement by five years.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Having thought about it for a few days, identity theft is probably my biggest concern, and it seems to be getting more common every day!

Americans fear hacking more than burglary, murder or any other crime?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
Clowns
Old 02-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
Rats
+1 I think it was those movies from the 70s that started this fear for me (Ben and Willard were the names of the movies).
Old 02-06-2015, 11:19 AM   #79

Death or what comes after.

Rats.

My golf clubs - they have mind of their own.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #80

Mountain lions and bears. Especially when I go outside on a very dark night. We have both up here. I have seen mountain lion tracks in the snow around my motor home and I have seen mountain lions in the area. Plenty of bear problems in the area with cabin and trailer break-ins. I think some fear of them is probably healthy.