What are you afraid of?

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
not the thread you thought, but here goes.... spiders! hate 'em...hate 'em, hate 'em... compared to spiders, snakes are like puppies...

Attachments

• 10676161_10153043328551907_399571863844019527_n.jpg
    10676161_10153043328551907_399571863844019527_n.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 31
Spiders are good luck on boats, they keep any other bugs away. Never had a spider bother me, I won't let anyone kill a spider on my boat. They're more afraid of you, if you just leave them alone they won't bother anyone.

I like spiders. When I was 4, the very first book I checked out of the library by myself was about spiders. In fact, we have one resident in our bathroom right now. It has been there a few months.

What I do fear is ending up back in the trailer park, with a dirt yard, a mangy dog chained to a car up on blocks, and filthy children running around diapers and nothing else.

Spiders, snakes, wild animals, bees, heights, strangers following me, intense thunderstorms or microbursts or blizzards while driving...the usual stuff.

As far as the critters part goes, this fear stops me from even thinking about retiring in warmer climates. I'd be afraid to go outside. :LOL:
The snow and cold up here keeps a lot of the "critter factor" at bay.

Getting eaten alive by a large animal. Nothing terrifies me more.

I am glad that my little island is devoid of anything capable of this. Although, while I am kayaking, there is always a niggling fear that I could become the first person eaten by an orca in the wild...:nonono:

The dark. Yep. Hate going to get something out of the car at night. Make DH do it instead!
Kinda afraid of heights, too, but can get through it when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Trains, always feared getting hit by one. For 10 years we had to drive through a crossing that only had signs, no lights or bars. Bad crossing; year after we left that place some poor guy didn't see the train coming.

DW is deathly afraid of spiders and clowns.

quicksand.

Seriously, not afraid of spiders or snakes. I've had both for pets back when I was a zoology student. I admit I was a little nervous passing a 12' gator on an 8' wide path a couple of days ago. But the only thing I can think of that I'm really scared of is being stuck in a small space. I used to be a spelunker, but sometime as I got older (and fatter) I seem to have gotten really claustrophobic. Last time I went into a cave I got wedged in and panicked a little. Crowded elevators bother me, I usually take the stairs instead. I got stuck in a man trap at work one day, and broke into a sweat. I'm not sure how it happened. Adult onset claustrophobia.

Last edited:
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain.

Good lines from Dune, which was otherwise one of the silliest books ever written.

Fire.

A tree falling on the roof.

Brown recluse spider. :dead:

I do a lot of hiking and backpacking. I guess my fears would be hypothermia and dehydration.

Flying. The plane crash in Taiwan would be my worst nightmare.

Haven't run into anything that I'm afraid of yet.
Don't understand when people make fun of another persons fear. One of my sisters is very afraid of spiders and a cousin will do things to scare her like rubber spiders.

But the only thing I can think of that I'm really scared of is being stuck in a small space. I used to be a spelunker, but sometime as I got older (and fatter) I seem to have gotten really claustrophobic. Last time I went into a cave I got wedged in and panicked a little. Crowded elevators bother me, I usually take the stairs instead. I got stuck in a man trap at work one day, and broke into a sweat. I'm not sure how it happened. Adult onset claustrophobia.

Same for me, small spaces bother me now but when I was younger, no issues. My real fear is snakes, just can't shake it and have been this way all my life although not quite as bad recently. If by myself and I come across a black snake in the yard, I can use the hoe or broom to move it along so the dogs don't mess with it. My DW and I have a deal, she deals with snakes and I deal with spiders.

Spiders are good luck on boats, they keep any other bugs away. Never had a spider bother me, I won't let anyone kill a spider on my boat. They're more afraid of you, if you just leave them alone they won't bother anyone.

Late friend once slept over on his sailboat at Catalina Island - bitten by a spider - nasty wound.

Me...having lived in Australia....(and haven't been there for almost 50 years)....still shake/check any shoes in the garage before putting them on.

Heights, if I could conceivably fall somehow, such as off a balcony.

1978 I did my one & only parachute jump, in the unrealized hope that it would somehow cure me of a fear of heights......not a chance!

(Mildly proud that I actually let go of the plane's struts at 3,000'.......then again there was no way in hell I was going to disembark, and walk past the onlookers, with an intact 'chute when the plane landed.....death seemed like the preferable option. :LOL: )

Alzheimers

I saw it hollow out and slowly kill my Dad. I don't want to inflict that on my wife and kids.

Back
Top Bottom