Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What are you doing to survive the Bird Flu......
Old 06-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I never took this too seriously until the Lead Public Health official here in Minnesota, proclaimed - "it's gonna happen" - Not if - It will!
Now imagine, if you will, what the average Lead Public Health official would do to get his or her budget increases approved...hmm...perhaps create a little scary controversy?

My understanding is that the primary people picking this up are people living in dirt floor shacks WITH the chickens. After that, it spreads primarily to people who arent very well to begin with.

No dirt floors...check
No chickens...check
Health ok....check

We're good.

Hey, anything can happen. I think this is another case where tap water may be a bigger threat...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Nevertheless, I bought a few masks and a case of MREs.
MREs?!?

Canned chili, Spam, a 20-pound bag of rice. Mangos & lychee or whatever's in season. Plus some of that dried salmon we've been saving for apres-hurricane...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:33 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Canned chili, Spam, a 20-pound bag of rice. Mangos & lychee or whatever's in season. Plus some of that dried salmon we've been saving for apres-hurricane...
Hurricanie Frances, 2 years ago: never hit us but we sought high ground just in case. By some outlandish coincidence, we ended up at the house of friends who are wine connoiseurs. Us, our Doberman, their puppies, their kids, cats, etc.

Got bored of the Weather Channel, and got into the wine cellar. Got out the cards and board games. Drank (his) hundred-dollar-a-bottle wine all day, played poker. So much so that well after the hurricaine threat was gone had to hang around a while to wait out the wine's effects.

Yeah these hurricaines are rough here in Fla, but you gotta buck up. I already made my reservations for the next 'caine.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:09 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I never took this too seriously until the Lead Public Health official here in Minnesota, proclaimed* - "it's gonna happen"* - Not if - It will!* *
CT, what were his exact words?

It's a truism that we're going to have a pandemic. But nobody knows when it'll happen or what disease it'll be.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:12 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
MREs?!?*

Canned chili, Spam, a 20-pound bag of rice.* Mangos & lychee or whatever's in season.* Plus some of that dried salmon we've been saving for apres-hurricane...
Yeah, I've got all the canned and dried stuff, too. But with a toddler and a very pregnant wife, I have a lot less room to rough it. Plus if I have to vacate in a hurry and bring some food, grabbing the case of MREs would be a lot easier than loading the rice, dried beans, camp stove, propane cannisters...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
CT, what were his exact words?

It's a truism that we're going to have a pandemic. But nobody knows when it'll happen or what disease it'll be.
Here is one link. If you google his name, you will find countless speeches by him on this topic. He is highly respected here in Minnesota.

http://www.nih.gov/nihrecord/05_05_2006/story04.htm
Old 06-14-2006, 02:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Here is one link. If you google his name, you will find countless speeches by him on this topic. He is highly respected here in Minnesota.

http://www.nih.gov/nihrecord/05_05_2006/story04.htm
A pandemic will happen, absolutely.

That's what I thought.* *He's not talking about bird flu.* *He's just saying that pandemics happen.* * We don't know what.* *We don't know when.* *But someday, we'll have another pandemic.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
A pandemic will happen, absolutely.

That's what I thought. He's not talking about bird flu. He's just saying that pandemics happen. We don't know what. We don't know when. But someday, we'll have another pandemic.
You read every speech on the web that he ever gave! - That was fast!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:39 PM   #29

Quote:
You read every speech on the web that he ever gave! - That was fast!
Good debating tactic.* *Either you can tell me where he said that a bird flu pandemic was a certainty, or I can read every speech he ever made and find it myself.* * I'll pass.*
Old 06-14-2006, 02:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Good debating tactic. Either you can tell me where he said that a bird flu pandemic was a certainty, or I can read every speech he ever made and find it myself. I'll pass.
Another Quote:
“I believe an influenza pandemic will be like a 12- to 18-month global blizzard that will ultimately change the world as we know it today,” Osterholm testified before Congress in December. He’s been singing this dirge for years now, on CNN, Oprah, Nightline, and in the ears of some of the world’s most powerful people. Osterholm served as an adviser to the Clinton administration, and he consults with the Bush administration on numerous public health issues, from pandemic flu to bioterrorism."

I thought you wanted to learn something, rather than just get in an arguement. But I guess should know better by now! :
Old 06-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #31

I buy that. There are a zillion strains of flu, and new ones are created each day. We might also have a pandemic like the Black Plague, which wasn't a flu.

Bottom line: some people think we're overdue for a pandemic, but there's no strong evidence that Bird Flu is The One.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I wouldn't underestimate this one, kids. Lots of uncertainties to be sure, but it could be big.

Problem is, no one really knows what to do about it. Or, it could just fizzle out. As for me, I'll do what Bogle always says: don't do something, just stand there.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:12 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Well, I wouldn't underestimate this one, kids. Lots of uncertainties to be sure, but it could be big.

Problem is, no one really knows what to do about it. Or, it could just fizzle out. As for me, I'll do what Bogle always says: don't do something, just stand there.
Yeah, that's about where I come down. I bought a few odds and ends, but mostly it is generic emergency supplies in case of hurricane, power outage, etc. that I should have around anyway. I'm not ready to start constructing the underground bunker or tinfoil hat.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-14-2006, 03:15 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I am doing a couple of things: 1. Keeping a very well stocked pantry of non-perishibles; 2. keeping myself healthy through a program of very good diet and exercise; keeping vitamins on hand and taking them daily.

BTW, last time I was sick (1999) I took Tamiflu, and it did seem to cause my flu to be milder and shorter than "normal."

Oh...and I do have a pretty well-stocked wine cellar also

Cheers,
Mike
Old 06-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa

My feeling is that it would be foolish not to prepare on a personal level.* *The downside to *personal* preparation is low, and the upside is potentially large.

The bigger issue is whether the same holds true on a national / government level.* * Do we really want the same folks who brought us the Katrina debacle to save us from bird flu?

Here's an article where scientists are already warning government leaders to focus on known issues instead of diverting resources to something that might fizzle (and will be probably be made worse by government solutions, in any case):

Article
Old 06-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
The bigger issue is whether the same holds true on a national / government level.* * Do we really want the same folks who brought us the Katrina debacle to save us from bird flu?
Oh, I think the Katrina embarassment underscores the point that we cannot count on our gummint to help us, at least not on a feddle level. Not that it will stop our elected boobs from pissing away untold billions on pork "crucial" bird flu stuff.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-14-2006, 04:07 PM   #37
Confused about dryer sheets

In my humble opinion it MAY arise, 20% likelyhood. My brother works at military facillity. They are ready for the pandemic.

If we go to extraordinary efforts to insulate ourselves, we will only delay the burnout period. That will lengthen the pandemic increasing risk for a longer period.

If EVERYONE on the planet were able to hunker down for a few weeks, it may disappear but how likely is that?

Once it has "crossed over" to the human population, it will be in the US within a week or 2. It will take 6 months to distribute vaccine, once the strain is identified. I am sure all international travel will stop as soon as it is id''d which will most likely be in Asia. That is the bad news since they will probably keep it quiet for a few days.

Realistically, we need 6 mos of supplies.

ER's etc will not accept flu patients, nor will hospitals.

There will be flu centers, probably schools and other large areas to treat and house the sick to keep them from the population.

All transportation will cease, if you are fortunate to work from home or can work from home, you might do ok.

Since there will be so many deaths, there should be plenty of jobs.

Masks and gloves will be a hot seller.

Most migratory waterfoul will dissapear for a generation like before.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:33 PM   #38

Just one question. Whatever happened to SARS? Seems like two winters ago this was in all the news reports as the next scary scenario. People in China were dropping like flies. I haven't heard it mentioned since. There is always somebody out there crying "the sky is falling". Gimme a break!

Grumpy
Old 06-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
Just one question. Whatever happened to SARS? Seems like two winters ago this was in all the news reports as the next scary scenario. People in China were dropping like flies. I haven't heard it mentioned since. There is always somebody out there crying "the sky is falling". Gimme a break!
That's my take on it too. I figure the Avian Bird Flu pandemic timeline will be thus: a few dozen/hundred in Asia drop dead from person-person transmission. Then CNN/Fox News start picking up the reports. All the crazies in the US rush out and clear out the shelves of all retail stores. Within a week, Walmart's shelves are restocked (as well as they usually are anyway). The bird flu hasn't hit the US yet. Then I go out and buy what I need in case there's a real emergency. I figure at any given time I have at least 4 weeks of stockpiled food in my house. Most of you are probably the same. Shelves and pantries full of canned goods and nonperishables?

Worst case I drive up to Grandma's house and help her eat all the hundreds or thousands of jars of food in her pantry. And drink her well water.

My backup plan is the eggs and poultry I'll get from all the chickens in the chicken coop in the back yard. That should hold me over for a week or two, right guys?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:02 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Isnt it the case that all prior pandemics occurred prior to any understanding of diseases and how they spread? Given modern understanding of infectious diseases, isnt it probable that widespread infection and death would be pretty limited?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote