What Are You Drinking Right Now?

Sounds tasty. I love Pilsner Urquell.

As luck would have it, that is exactly what I am drinking right now at 1 AM in the morning, Mountain Time! 500 ml cans, imported. Squinting at the can with the Mark I calibrated eyeball, 500 ml looks like about 1/5 more than a regular can. (Yeah, I'm a chem-e and ought to be able to do the conversion in my head, but I left my head at the office on Friday.)

One of the best beers in the world, for my money.

How 'bout that. Someone else (Cool Dood) is also up this late.

DanTien said:
Dory -
what do you think your method costs per 12oz/22oz bottle?

And how much for, er, a 72 oz Super Gulp?

Just, y'know, asking.....

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
As luck would have it, that is exactly what I am drinking right now at 1 AM in the morning, Mountain Time! 500 ml cans, imported. Squinting at the can with the Mark I calibrated eyeball, 500 ml looks like about 1/5 more than a regular can. (Yeah, I'm a chem-e and ought to be able to do the conversion in my head, but I left my head at the office on Friday.)

One of the best beers in the world, for my money.

How 'bout that. Someone else (Cool Dood) is also up this late.

Hey, good taste...

and it's even later here, but I had a nap ;)

What I would be drinking now if I were FIREd would be felonious, so I won't mention that! ;)

Australian Shiraz. I am working on a 3 liter box. It has a handy spout so I don't have to endanger myself moving heavy object while intoxicated.

Mike

A cup of Barry's Irish tea.

Going to check out dory's beer machine later this morning! Looks promising!

kate

Just had an Ebisu beer, and am about to have a bit of Suntory scotch.

Bpp

DanTien said:
Dory -
what do you think your method costs per 12oz/22oz bottle?

It costs ~$33 for three packages of mix, the few extras needed in the process, and shipping.  (The shipping is 25% of that -- I haven't found a local supply, but haven't looked all that hard either.)

So an average of $11 per batch, maybe $1 cheaper for some mixes, $1 more for others.

The marketing stuff says you get 28 x 12oz glasses per batch, which would be 39 cents a glass. I have found so far that the last 2-3 glasses are really foamy, just like the end of a keg, so I suspect 24 glasses is a safer number, making the cost per glass about 46 cents.

You can't quite compare home brewed beer with store-bought -- probably about like trying to compare grocery store milk with farm milk, so price comparisons are also difficult. But the home brewed stuff (at least this stuff) compares with the premium stuff that sells locally for ~$1.30 per 12oz bottle in the grocery store, rather than the $0.65/bottle "college student" beer at the other end of the spectrum.

The one-time equipment costs are ~$100.   So I figure I have to drink about 120 glasses to pay for the equipment, and then I am ahead financially.

dory36

(ps - fwiw, I'd probably do this if there were no savings, as the home brewed flavor really does grow on you.)

Thanks dory for the breakout.

Yes, it isn't the same as store bought - if I picked the right receipe and did it right, it was a revelation....fresh taste better - but we had to drink it fairly fast - didn't keep!

I'm drinking fresh ground French Roast now...must be drunk right away also...

The suppliers tell me it will keep for a few months.

I never risked that.

dory36 said:

I never risked that.
Yeah. A beer surplus or beer spoilage is not something to mess around with. If it get's critical, I have several friends I can call up to help me with the crisis. :D :D :D

A slurpee.

Per capita, Calgary is ranked second or third in the country I believe for slurpee consumption so I'm just doing my patriotic duty....

I'll have to get the kid hooked on slurpees too when the time comes. :D

Peets Decaf Moca Java.

Love Peets coffee. I used to not like it because it was strong & bitter. Now I like it because its sttrong & bitter.

Ooh, I used to love Peets coffee. Used to load up on Kenya AA and Ethiopian Harrar there -- the stronger and more bitter the better. Haven't had any in 15 years. :(

Bpp

dory36 said:

I never risked that.

I wouldn't say beer goes bad as it ages, but you definately see the flavor go downhill over time. Depends on the beer though. Weizen is best as soon as it is done fermenting. Barleywine is often better after a year of storage.

Back
Top Bottom