Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mostly public radio or classical music station. The three discs in my car are Andrea Bocelli, Cecilia Bartoli, and Learning Italian on the Go. Although I am not getting very far on the Italian. Music is much easier!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Molto buono!

Audrey

Old 02-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Grazie!
Old 02-06-2010, 01:45 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
... not getting very far on the Italian. Music is much easier!

Old 02-06-2010, 06:06 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

When we are "home," I listen to the local Jass music station (KUVO 89.3) but don't spend much time in the car -- runs for grocery would be a long trip.

On the road, I would find the local Jazz or C&W station if we are in large city for any length of time. Most of our "vehicle" time, however, is spent in the great wide-open radio wilderness where searching for a new station every half hour is the norm. I have overcome that problem by running any of various devices through the car radio:

A Sansa Fuze -- has a 800 song personal playlist (in .WAV format.)

A Slacker "Ultra-Portable" -- an off-line "Personal Radio Station" (see below) player.

My Blackberry Storm2 tuned into any of several "personalized" radio stations. Examples are: Pandora and Slacker.

The Blackberry also gives me access to "streamed" radio. Examples are: Radio Companion and iheartradio.

These devices allow me to listen to very high-quality sound through the "surround sound" speakers in the vehicle with the added advantage of not taking my eyes off the road searching for a radio station. (A behavior as dangerous, IMHO, as "texting" while driving.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We've been listening to Spanish language (lessons) CDs.

Audrey
And how are you doing so far?
Old 02-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
These devices allow me to listen to very high-quality sound through the "surround sound" speakers in the vehicle with the added advantage of not taking my eyes off the road searching for a radio station. (A behavior as dangerous, IMHO, as "texting" while driving.)
Yes, that can be pretty dangerous. I have been trying to find radio stations to program into my new car's radio. So far I have only done that at stoplights, though I sometimes hit the "scan" button while driving. That button is great because it does all the looking for me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yes, that can be pretty dangerous. I have been trying to find radio stations to program into my new car's radio. So far I have only done that at stoplights, though I sometimes hit the "scan" button while driving. That button is great because it does all the looking for me.
New Orleans has a most diverse selection of great radio stations. (San Francisco used to) WWOZ (90.7), for example, is a station I would never get tired of listening to. The fact that it took me three days to find WWOZ attests to the quality of the stations in your city.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

What are you listening to in the car these days?

What ever is on the radio, usually country or classic rock. Now if I'm traveling out of town, I take a variety of cd's with me.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #50

Definitely Sirius satellite radio. Classic Rock channel 14 or Deep Tracks channel 16. I would be lost without satellite radio. I live in a very rural area; the nearest FM station is 75 miles away and reception is iffy at best.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #51

i like sirius blues channel.

today it was 2pac ahahaa
Old 02-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #52

Today (traveling the 385 miles from Marietta, GA to Jacksonville Beach, FL) we listened to "Willie's Place" (Willie Nelson & friends) on Sirius Radio....over my iPhone, through the car stereo! Then listened to WSM AM-650 from Nashville...on the iPhone....crystal clear reception 500 miles away! Still being amazed by technology! After that we tuned in the car radio to listen to the Daytona 500, until we got to the hotel to watch it on TV.