Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2007, 07:11 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

We will have a quiet evening at home, champagne, stonecrab, and a fire (depending on the temp). If it is not raining, we may decide at the last minute to go camping (last year we were rained out).

We will likely fall asleep before the kids. If we are at home, we may ask them to wake us to watch the ball drop on TV.

I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Burning my government ID card, packing away the w*ork clothes, and cleaning out all the personal files on my laptop before I turn it into the gestapo HR.

Best possible celebration, congrats

Old 12-03-2007, 10:04 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I was going to post our plans, but they seem so mundane compared to Cattusbabe's that I'm embarrassed....
Old 12-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #24

No actual plans yet but probably do the same thing we've done the past few years, have a few friends over for pizza, beer and wine.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We'll probably do the same as we have done the past few years. Late supper and a few drinks. We'll do our best to stay up until midnight. Then finally go to bed, kiss the air in the general direction of each other's face, then lights out.

The next morning we'll be grateful that we do not have hangovers like so many years ago.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #26

We should be at Disney World until closing time then back to the hotel to sleep and the following day drive back to Montreal.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #27
Administrator

We'll probably be with Frank's family down at the family fishing camp on Lake Borgne in St. Bernard Parish, watching them simulate WW III and blow up half of southeast Louisiana. They get their fireworks from a family friend who is the sheriff of an adjacent parish and consequently they set off a lot of scary stuff that other people cannot legally purchase. All in all, the display each year is pretty spectacular and outrageously extreme.

Although I like municipal fireworks, I don't especially enjoy his family's private fireworks because I worry about carelessness and possible injuries, the legality, his sisters' many children running around through the fireworks unsupervised on sugar highs, and also, I can't breathe at all with the smoke and the sounds are deafening and probably damaging to our hearing. Frank and I usually arrive at the family get-together around 11 PM, and leave at 12:30. We used to like it more because his aged father got such a charge out of the fireworks, but now that he has passed away a few months ago, where's the fun? Somewhere else, I think.

Aren't families grand?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Although I like municipal fireworks, I don't especially enjoy his family's private fireworks because I worry about carelessness and possible injuries, the legality, the children running around through the fireworks unsupervised on sugar highs, and also, I can't breathe at all with the smoke and the sounds are deafening and probably damaging to our hearing.
I thought local fireworks were just a Hawaii problem, but I guess it's spread to the Mainland too.

It started as a Chinese cultural rite (setting off a string outside each corner of the house at midnight to drive off the new year's evil spirits) but it's kinda gotten out of hand. Chaos starts after lunch, the streets are smoked out by 9 PM, and the noise is continuous until 12:30 AM-- especially the midnight aerials & booming explosions.

The only "limit" is a $25 license necessary to purchase retail fireworks up to a certain limit. The license is frequently less than 10% of the total purchase so it's mostly a nuisance fee. But the sheer volume of the illegal stuff (flown in? shipped in?) doesn't give one a warm fuzzy about our homeland security measures.

After a military career of handling high explosives I just can't see the reason to spend the money, let alone take the safety risk. I enjoy the technology & artistry of a good aerial display as much as anyone else but this is nuts. We watch people wheeling carts out of Costco and you can count their boxes in $100 units. Most seem to spend $200-$300. The family that owned our house before us used to build a head-high 2"x6" framework across the 30-foot cul-de-sac and load it up with aerials and multiple strings of 100,000 firecrackers. And last year a woman in our neighborhood was storing over 25 tons of (illegal) fireworks in her home for retail sales. The police ended up bringing in both HAZMAT teams and the bomb squad.

Pray for rain...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nothing special, a nice fire, a few drinks, and maybe some "fireworks" with DW...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I thought local fireworks were just a Hawaii problem, but I guess it's spread to the Mainland too
I have no idea - - Louisiana south of I-10 is a pretty unique/strange region with its own customs, and Frank's family has been doing this for at least 50 years that I know of. Probably forever since his ancestors have lived here for more than six generations and they are really bound/enriched by tradition in some ways. I am thinking that here, the traditions may have started with gunfire, not with fireworks per se as with Chinese tradition, though my recollection of the history of it is a little vague.

When I lived in College Station, Texas, we would go to a municipal fireworks display and I loved it. There was a municipal display in the San Diego suburbs when I lived there, too, back in the early 1980's. I don't recall private fireworks to any great extent in either place.

I remember the fireworks in Hawaii, but since we lived on Kailua Beach the tradewinds or other winds would blow the smoke away in a few minutes. (Actually, when I grew up there we would watch the fireworks display off Flat Island on the 4th, and it was really nice, but I also did go to some private fireworks). Here there is no wind and I think it's very unhealthy!! It was much the same when I lived in an apartment in Makiki, where there wasn't much wind. But, I was on the third floor so I was above most of the smoke.

Quote:
Chaos starts after lunch
There were bottle rockets set off near my home at 5 PM and 7:30 PM last night. They were the first I've heard so far.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I thought local fireworks were just a Hawaii problem, but I guess it's spread to the Mainland too.

It started as a Chinese cultural rite (setting off a string outside each corner of the house at midnight to drive off the new year's evil spirits) but it's kinda gotten out of hand. Chaos starts after lunch, the streets are smoked out by 9 PM, and the noise is continuous until 12:30 AM-- especially the midnight aerials & booming explosions.

The only "limit" is a $25 license necessary to purchase retail fireworks up to a certain limit. The license is frequently less than 10% of the total purchase so it's mostly a nuisance fee. But the sheer volume of the illegal stuff (flown in? shipped in?) doesn't give one a warm fuzzy about our homeland security measures.

After a military career of handling high explosives I just can't see the reason to spend the money, let alone take the safety risk. I enjoy the technology & artistry of a good aerial display as much as anyone else but this is nuts. We watch people wheeling carts out of Costco and you can count their boxes in $100 units. Most seem to spend $200-$300. The family that owned our house before us used to build a head-high 2"x6" framework across the 30-foot cul-de-sac and load it up with aerials and multiple strings of 100,000 firecrackers. And last year a woman in our neighborhood was storing over 25 tons of (illegal) fireworks in her home for retail sales. The police ended up bringing in both HAZMAT teams and the bomb squad.

Pray for rain...
I'll be in HI (Kauai) over newyears. Nords, you're getting me awfully excited about it!

With a four hour time difference maybe the jet lag will help me peacefully through the night!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:24 PM   #32

Quote:
I am thinking that here, the traditions may have started with gunfire, not with fireworks per se as with Chinese tradition, though my recollection of the history of it is a little vague.
We usually hear more shotgun blasts than fireworks on New Years Eve. Around here fireworks are harder to come by, so they're mostly used on the 4th of July. But almost everyone in our area has at least 1 shotgun, and shells are relatively cheap. Besides, random shotgun blasts are harder for the local PD to track down, than those fantastically amazing pyrotechnic displays.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #33

Any recommendations on New Year's in NYC? Times Square seems too nuts for me...but I am sure there are PLENTY of alternatives...
Old 12-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There were bottle rockets set off near my home at 5 PM and 7:30 PM last night. They were the first I've heard so far.
It's probably the news that UH had an undefeated season and is going to the Sugar Bowl.

Or at least that's why it's been happening around here this weekend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bots2019 View Post
I'll be in HI (Kauai) over newyears. Nords, you're getting me awfully excited about it!
Yeah, sorry about the full disclosure. My nephew the Army Ranger has had three combat tours, too, so it'll be interesting to see his reaction when he's with us. Or maybe I should lay in a big stash of frosty beverages for us all.

You want a place that's windward, on the top floor, and perhaps with sealed air conditioning. Or maybe it's a good opportunity for an overnight offshore cruise. But I've never done Makahiki on Kauai so maybe the daily rains will help keep things under control.

Like W2R says, Makiki & Kalihi turn into combat zones... only noisier and with more high explosives.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #35

We usually have some friends over for new years - but we had a housefull for thanks giving....and the weekend. Played tour guide w/ wine tasting, Lake Tahoe visit and loads of cooking.

So this Christmas we are having a quiet family night with shrimp cocktail, filet and champagne for DW and I, sparkling apple for the kids. Will try and stay up till 12:00 but w/o friends over to "stir the pot" we will prob. fall asleep around 10:30 as usual.

We have great friends that are Japanese and they always have a traditional all day party on the first for family and friends. Best sushi/sashimi ever!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:23 PM   #36

For New Year's Day, we go over to my buddy's house a couple blocks away for his annual "1st Cookout of the Year".....he's been having it for about 25 years. He fires up the the grilles and the smokers, and cooks up gobs of dead animal parts, #1 on the list are the ribeye sandwiches. Everyone brings a dish to pass. There's usually about 20-25 people there at a time, and the end of the day total is usually around 50-60.

It goes on rain, snow, or shine, and whether it's warm or cold. It's always a fun time. We stay for about an hour and a half....more or less.....then return to the peace and quiet of our own abode.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Atlantis in the Bahamas.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrMike View Post
Atlantis in the Bahamas.
That place looks like a blast - disney for adults. Make sure you let us know how you like it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:56 AM   #39

We went to Atlantis a number of years ago when DH won a trip to Atlantis for some work-related thing. The aquariums are truly amazing--I spent a lot of time wandering around watching the fish. And the waterpark is more fun than I will admit!

Mike--you'll have a blast!

We don't have plans as yet, but I'm sure something will come together by then.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:57 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrMike View Post
Atlantis in the Bahamas.
huh - will you see sponge bob there? i heard they were doing some cross-marketing stuff for the movie...

have a great time!!!