Join Early Retirement Today

What are you plans for New Years Eve?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

What are you plans for New Years Eve?

We'll be spending it on Sanibel Island in our RV -- took a couple of vacation days, too.

Probably eat fish, drink wine, visit with others and definitely be walking the beach when the new year arrives. The Gulf Coast sky rivals the Tucson sky as one of my favorite places to look up and get dreamy.

What're you doing?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Administrator

Same as every year since 1986 -- stay home, cook a nice dinner, start fires in both the fireplaces, play Scrabble with the young wife, bundle up and watch the fireworks from the back yard, try not to fall asleep before midnight.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DD is scheduled to have sinus surgery on Dec 28 and will be recovering at our house so we're expecting that New Year's will be pretty quiet.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My nephew the Army Ranger and his fiancée will be here so we might go out and watch living visions of hell everyone on the street lighting their fireworks.

Or we'll stay home and try to avoid the smoke inhalation. Maybe a late movie at one of the "safe haven" air-conditioned theaters. And earplugs...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:30 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Burning my government ID card, packing away the w*ork clothes, and cleaning out all the personal files on my laptop before I turn it into the gestapo HR.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not Much!
Old 12-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi
I usually celebrate mine with a bang.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Probably go out for a nice breakfast...most likely at Cracker Barrel. then planning on grilling a couple of nice ribeyes, along with all of the trimmings for dinner. Plus we'll have all of our standard New Year's Eve snack stuff around too. Boiled shrimp, chips, veggies, & dips, crackers & cheese, and all that sort of stuff...about the same each year. Oh, and I bought a bottle of Welch's sparkling grape to wash it all down.

We'll watch the various NYE celebrations on TV from NYC and Chicago, maybe light up a bunch of fire-crackers at midnight, have another midnight snack (or 2) and then go to bed sometime after that.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:27 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH and I will be taking a moonlit cruise on the river. I will be in an evening gown, DH will be wearing a Prince Charlie and kilt...commando...as a good Scot should. We will have dinner, dancing and will watch the fire works from deck. After the cruise we will return to the suite I booked at a Downtown Hotel. I will change into a really naughty outfit I bought for the occasion and continue ringing in the New Year with more "fireworks". We will take a cab home when we surface sometime the next morning or afternoon.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:35 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
DH and I will be taking a moonlit cruise on the river. I will be in an evening gown, DH will be wearing a Prince Charlie and kilt...commando...as a good Scot should. We will have dinner, dancing and will watch the fire works from deck. After the cruise we will return to the suite I booked at a Downtown Hotel. I will change into a really naughty outfit I bought for the occasion and continue ringing in the New Year with more "fireworks". We will take a cab home when we surface sometime the next morning or afternoon.
Wow!

I'll be going to a house party. It is always fun, but doesn't sound quite up to Cattusbabe's plans.

Ha
Old 12-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
The heck with Sanibel...

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:18 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Well, definitely not as "hot" as some of your plans, but..........

we'll be heading "up nort" to the Nicolet National Forest in northern Wisconsin. Hoping for snow and cold so we can enjoy snow shoeing and/or hiking in the woods daytime and frosty star gazing at night.

We love ritzy hotels, beaches, dining out and live music. But somewhere along the line, we've also come to love the forest and the outdoors during the dead of winter. Last year, just before midnight, we were sitting around a bonfire with friends toasting our good luck to be together with hot chocolate and Schnapps when wolves began to howl in the distance......
Old 12-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
We love ritzy hotels, beaches, dining out and live music. But somewhere along the line, we've also come to love the forest and the outdoors during the dead of winter. Last year, just before midnight, we were sitting around a bonfire with friends toasting our good luck to be together with hot chocolate and Schnapps when wolves began to howl in the distance......
I was a long-time Wisconsinite (MKE and Madison) and always wanted to have the best of both worlds at a place like Canoe Bay. Never made it up there, but maybe some day.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I was a long-time Wisconsinite (MKE and Madison) and always wanted to have the best of both worlds at a place like Canoe Bay. Never made it up there, but maybe some day.
Hmmmmm...... looks like a nice place Rich! I dropped the url into my follow-up folder. Thanks.

We'll be a couple of hours NE of there, just below the Wis/UP border, for New Years at the home of a lifelong friend/paddling partner.

BTW, did you wind up with a Hi-Lo or Trail Manor RV? How do you like it?
Old 12-02-2007, 10:13 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
BTW, did you wind up with a Hi-Lo or Trail Manor RV? How do you like it?
Trailmanor was the clear winner for us, loving it. We got the 31 foot model with king bed, tow it with an SUV and using it regularly. That's what we'll be taking to Sanibel.

Hope you make it to Canoe Bay (anniversary?) - it'll set back your FIRE date by about $375 per day .

Old 12-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Trailmanor was the clear winner for us, loving it. We got the 31 foot model with king bed, tow it with an SUV and using it regularly. That's what we'll be taking to Sanibel.

Hope you make it to Canoe Bay (anniversary?) - it'll set back your FIRE date by about $375 per day .
Already FIRED'd!

Three days at Canoe Bay would run about as much as a week at a cabin on a lake up north.......but looks like it would be worth it!
Old 12-02-2007, 10:29 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm...Well I think we'll have a nice dinner, some champagne, and then fall asleep 15 minutes after the 3 year old does...which would be about 8:45. Later we'll be suddenly wakened by fireworks, grumble like old people, and go back to sleep.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:31 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to imnxpat
Quote:
We'll be spending it on Sanibel Island in our RV -- took a couple of vacation days, too.

Probably eat fish, drink wine, visit with others and definitely be walking the beach when the new year arrives. The Gulf Coast sky rivals the Tucson sky as one of my favorite places to look up and get dreamy.

What're you doing?
My wife and I will likely dine out early in the evening, nap or watch TV for a few hours, then go outside at midnight and watch the fireworks display coming from the nearby Plaza.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:38 AM   #19

DW is having surgery on the 14th and so we will be recovering. Depending on how she feels, we may stay home or go over to friends.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:42 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
DW is having surgery on the 14th and so we will be recovering. Depending on how she feels, we may stay home or go over to friends.
I wish her the best of health and a speedy recovery.

Ha