Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

As I was getting dressed to run errands, I thought of something else I wear, or rather, don't wear in ER...a watch! I generally don't care any more what time it is! The only time I put one on is if I have a couple of appt. type errands and really need to be one time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Though I have close to a dozen suits in the closet, dozens of oxford button-down dress shirts and close to 100 neck ties next to the suits, I seldom wear more than a tee shirt shorts and NB shoes. My back up outfit includes jeans and cowboy boots.

DW, on occasion, will suggest that I give away all of those unnecessary threads in the closet. My normal reply is~ "To make room for what?"

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Remember there are great organizations that will take interview quality clothing for their clients looking for jobs.
For all sexes Bridge to Success - Donate Clothing

For women Dress for Success: Support DFS: Donate: Clothing

Ms G donated her VP level power clothes to Dress for Success, and we got a nice deduction also.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
As I was getting dressed to run errands, I thought of something else I wear, or rather, don't wear in ER...a watch! I generally don't care any more what time it is! The only time I put one on is if I have a couple of appt. type errands and really need to be one time.
+1

I have a beautiful "executive" watch (my father's description) that my parents gave me about 10 years ago. It has a solar battery so it needs to be out in the light periodically to recharge. I went so long between wearings that the battery went completely dead. So the watch now sits in the windowsill
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #65

T shirts, flannel shirt as a jacket, exercise pants, jeans. I still work a couple of days a week so have a few suits that I rotate around to wear to work. I probably need more "nice" casual clothes but haven't gotten around to buying any....
Old 03-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfun View Post
Recently I took on two teaching gigs and it's been hell to figure out what to wear, especially when you're in front of college kids every day. Luckily those gigs will be over in a few weeks.

Give me yoga pants and tee shirts, all day every day.
Most (men and women) college profs wear jeans and a shirt when teaching. Rarely do they wear yoga pants.

When they give formal seminars at other colleges or venues, they wear khakis and a shirt. A few will put on a tie.

It is all rather informal nowadays.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Remember there are great organizations that will take interview quality clothing for their clients looking for jobs.
Great idea unfortunately I spent forty years in uniforms or scrubs . I gave away most of them but I kept one pair for an easy halloween costume .
Old 03-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #68

summer: chinos and button down collar oxford short sleeve shirts (I wore these while I was working since about 1977 and they are more comfortable to me than t shirts) and sometimes shorts depending on how hot it gets. Sandals.

Winter: usually one of my two pairs of jeans and whatever shirt is clean. Wearing two pairs of jeans at once does not work. Athletic shoes.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Most (men and women) college profs wear jeans and a shirt when teaching. Rarely do they wear yoga pants.

When they give formal seminars at other colleges or venues, they wear khakis and a shirt. A few will put on a tie.

It is all rather informal nowadays.
Work at State U., research, little teaching. Jeans and polo shirt daily, with khakis if visitors are coming.

My boss moved from prof to dept head to dean. Hated wearing ties, like me. When he went to dept head he added blazers to his khakis (still wore nice black sneakers). He resisted ties when he moved to dean but seems to have given in that he needs to do it.

Looking forward to retiring so I can go to t-shirts, shorts, and tevas on a daily basis, weather permitting!