Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
***Orphan Black (Canadian, however on BBCA, does that count?)
Sorry, but I think not. An American series broadcast on BBC would not count either.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Sorry, but I think not. An American series broadcast on BBC would not count either.
Bummer, very good show though. Then I'd replace that with Call the Midwife
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Waking the Dead

New Tricks
Life on Mars
Foyles War
Call the Midwife
They do period pieces much better then USA. I can't take the ongoing saga of Downton Abbey any more.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have always felt that the British version of Antiques Roadshow was superior to the American version (although I like it, too). I haven't seen the Brit version in a very long time. I wonder if it is just not being broadcast here in the States.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
3? We're supposed to limit it to only 3? British series' are practically all I watch on Netflix/Hulu or wherever else I can find them! I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to break the rules and list just a very few of the ones that have really tickled me pink over the years (in no order whatsoever) -

Brideshead Revisited
Downton Abbey
The Forsyte Saga
Life On Mars (the original British version, and not the American one)
Doc Martin
Single-Handed (Irish, but still good )
Vera
Inspector Morse
Inspector George Gently

+ lots more. Anything British that is halfway decent tends to pull me in. I just discovered that there is a new series called Peaky Blinders which is coming to Netflix on Tuesday. This should be reason enough to renew my Netflix subscription for a bit of binge-watching along with a new box of wine in the refrigerator - although after viewing the trailer, the "modern" production technique is putting me off a bit.

Blindsided by 'Peaky Blinders' | Performance | OZY
+1 Major Tom!

British series are pretty much all I watch on Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Just this second finished watching Season 1 of DCI Banks. I have a crush on Stephen Tompkinson ever since seeing him on Ballykissangel (Irish series, I know--there's a difference).

Let me add Endeavour. I never thought I would like a series more than than Morse or Lewis, but Endeavour is it.

Not wild about Downton Abbey after the first two seasons, and couldn't stand the new version of Upstairs Downstairs, but love everything else British (or Irish).
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:15 PM   #46

Oh, yes, the documentaries.

I really enjoyed "The Tube". We recently watched one about the training to become a steward for British Airways. And there is a live show about stargazing, I don't remember the name of that one but it was a lot more interesting than it sounds.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:41 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I download a lot of English TV off the Internets, after all, I'm from there. Many of you might be disdainful, but ...

1. Big Brother UK (plus Celebrity Big Brother) -- completely different from the US version!
2. Gogglebox -- so addictive
3. Alright, I've been glued to Doctor Who since the first episode ... what was it, 5:15pm on Saturdays?

Mind you, I'm a couple of episodes behind on the Doctor, and up to date on X Factor UK - watching tonight's episode as I type!

Did anyone mention Coupling, that was a stitch -- Lesbian Spank Inferno; Unflushable!

Oh, I do watch the artsy-fartsy shows too!
Jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #48

Monty Python
Fawlty Towers
Benny Hill
Old 09-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

I also like adaptations of some mysteries, like "Case Histories" and the late (and so great) Reginald Hill's Dalziel and Pascoe books. I really like seeing what gets pulled out of the book to carry the plot and the casting choices. I really like being introduced to new-to-me British actors as they are usually, like US television actors, not faces we see in movies. Fun to see someone from Last Tango show up in Vera or in Happy Valley as different personas.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Dr Who
Sherlock
Heartbeat

When DD was tiny and needed extra 24 hour care DW and I sometimes watched a comedy about elderly people in a retirement home. Can't remember the name.
Another show I watched with my dad years ago the odd time was 'Yes Minister'. I can still hear him laughing.
Asher Aion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #51

Three pages and nobody's mentioned Blackadder? For shame!

I can't stick with just three:

1. Fawlty Towers
2. Are You Being Served
3. Blackadder III (the others are good, too, but I really like III)
4. Top Gear
5. Sherlock Holmes (the old Grenada series with Jeremy Brett)

It's amazing to think Fawlty Towers is one of the funniest series that's EVER been produced, and they only made 12 episodes. I think my favorite is the one with Mrs. Richards and her hearing aid. That one had me in stitches.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Aion View Post
Dr Who
Sherlock
Heartbeat

When DD was tiny and needed extra 24 hour care DW and I sometimes watched a comedy about elderly people in a retirement home. Can't remember the name.
Another show I watched with my dad years ago the odd time was 'Yes Minister'. I can still hear him laughing.
The retirement home comedy sounds like "Waiting for God". It was pithy!

And of course "Yes, Minister" was hilarious, and apparently quite true to life. Both the Minister and Sir Humphrey have since died.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #53

I love British TV shows. Here are a few of my favorites:

Downton Abbey,
Keeping up appearances
Masterpiece Theatre
Call the Midwife
Poirot
Sherlock Holmes
Mr Bean
Fawlty Towers
Are you being served
Almost any BBC documentary
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilkoot View Post
... Top Gear (the latter is very middlebrow, but I've watched over 100 episodes so it must have something going for it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
4. Top Gear
Mine too.
I always find myself laughing out loud at least a couple of times per episode.
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Absolutely Fabulous is by fare the #1 on my list.

Benny Hill and Downton Abby are good also.

Ab-Fab is one of the funniest shows that ever aired though. Patsy and Edwina are not roll models by any means - but they are very funny.
+1 oh the antics of Edwina and Patsy and don't forget poor Safron. My favorite in when they woke up in a dump truck. I've watched each episode a few times and was so disappointed that only relatively few episodes were made.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #56

I should have added as honorable mentions to my original 3:

Benny Hill
Red Dwarf (haven't seen anyone mention this one yet)
Old 09-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't think anyone's mentioned Mistresses, which I thought was extremely well done.

There was a U.S. remake that looked vastly inferior.
inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #58
Gone but not forgotten

Y'all have covered the bases...
Between Netflix and Amazon Prime, (which #1 son shares with me), I've pretty much given up on anything with commercials, and am working my way through
the Inspector series...Frost, Foyle, Morse, (all 95 complete) Gently, Vera, Lewis, Poirot, Sherlock etc.. Am finished with or up to date with Doc Martin, Downton Abbey, Prime Suspect.

Yesterday, I went outside for the first time in 2 years. Didn't realize the sun was so bright!
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #59

I forgot to add the Blatchley Circle. It only had two seasons of airtime on PBS . Each season was a novella of one story. Wonderful period piece of postwar Britain . Scary and charming at the same time.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Top Gear
InTheSticks is offline   Reply With Quote