What are your 3 favorite British TV series?

This is a great reference thread for our future viewing and reminders of some shows we have alreafy enjoyed but forgotten about.

One thing I have learned from British shows is that any problem or crisis, regardless of size, can be helped by a cup of tea.

Do many people here use Acorn?

Only Doc Martin currently but liked Monty Python, Black Adder, and Fawlty Towers alot.

1. Sherlock Holmes (with Jeremy Brett) my all time favorite show. I wish that I had visited the Granada set before it was taken down. I even love the soundtrack.
2. Inspector Morse
3. Keeping up Appearances

Honorable mentions:
Poirot (I even find the music comforting), Miss Marple series with Joan Hickson, Partners in Crime (Tuppence and Tommy), Home to Roost (comedy with John Thaw) Vicar of Dibley, Mr. Bean, Campion, The PD James mysteries in the 80's and early 90's with Roy Marsden (haven't watched them since) Monty Python, Faulty Towers

This thread reminds me that I haven't watched much of Absolutely Fabulous. Not sure why because I always found it hilarious.

Does anyone remember a British show on A&E called Smack the Pony? It wasn't on for very long, but I found it very funny.

I admit I haven't watched TV in YEARS! I don't have cable but am thinking about Netflix, Hulu or something like that now that I have more time.

I haven't seen Rosemary and Thyme mentioned. It a mystery series about two gardeners who stumble into trouble regularly. I found it charming.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Attention: Inspector Lewis fans!

The last series of Inspector Lewis was supposed to be the last one ever - Lewis retired and Hathaway was planning to as well.

HOWEVER - apparently neither one could stay away. A NEW Lewis series begins this Sunday night (10/5) - consists of three 90 minute episodes (10/5, 10/12, and 10/19).

I can't wait! :dance:

The last series of Inspector Lewis was supposed to be the last one ever - Lewis retired and Hathaway was planning to as well.

HOWEVER - apparently neither one could stay away. A NEW Lewis series begins this Sunday night (10/5) - consists of three 90 minute episodes (10/5, 10/12, and 10/19).

I can't wait! :dance:

what?? best news I've heard all day--thanks Calico! :flowers:

what?? best news I've heard all day--thanks Calico! :flowers:

You're welcome! :greetings10:

The PBS website says: Hathaway has been promoted to Inspector, and is working his first case at that rank. Superintendent Innocent asks Lewis to come out of retirement to "help" with the case. Should make for some interesting dynamics. :rolleyes:

I haven't seen Rosemary and Thyme mentioned. It a mystery series about two gardeners who stumble into trouble regularly. I found it charming.

I'm a fan of Rosemary and Thyme too. I wish they had made more of them.

Another one I liked was Being Human , they later made a copy of it for Americans but really the British one seemed better made.

The original British version of House of Cards was also better, IMHO. If for no other reason than it did not get stretched out into a multi season extravaganza.

On Netflix Streaming:

Happy Valley:. Is a six part series about a kidnapping. Very good.

The Fall : (a crime story in Belfast, Ireland) Excellent

Rake: About an attorney with problems. Very entertaining and well done

Derek: With Ricky Gervais. Need to watch at least 3 episodes, as it is very different, and you need to get a grasp on it. Then you will love it.

Last Tango in Halifax: One of my all time favorites about two childhood sweethearts who reunited over the internet after nearly 60 years.

Rake: About an attorney with problems. Very entertaining and well done

Rake is actually Australian - set in Sydney. The first and second series were great, the 3rd series was good.

Nobody has mentioned "The Bill" - it ran for something like 24 years and was addictive in its middle period.

The old Dr Who from the 1970s are still worth watching.

Fawlty Tower - probably still the funniest series ever.

Grantchester!!!

I just couldn't get into Downton Abbey season 4. It might be because the blond god is gone. That actor was also a very good foil for the Lady Mary actress. But with some of the initial episodes, I just couldn't take the silent long-suffering stiff-upper-lip themes any more.

So instead we've been watching Grantchester (Masterpiece Mystery), and it's marvelous! The characters are wonderful. OK - there may be another blond god involved.

Last edited:
I have now watched most episodes of Foyle's War. Set in Hastings, a seaside town on the southeast coast of England during WW2, it stars Michael Kitchen as Detective Chief Superintendent Foyle, Honeysuckle Weeks as his driver and Anthony Howell as his deputy. The episodes are 90 minutes long, time to develop a complex web of interactions. Of course, Foyle always solves the crimes by noticing the details. The production skills are excellent, with vintage planes, trains, cars, fashions, mannerisms and even food. There are eight "sets", mostly of three episodes; the eighth set is darker and deals with the Cold War. Interestingly, Foyle tries several times to ER, but they never let him! Highly recommended.

I have now watched most episodes of Foyle's War. Set in Hastings, a seaside town on the southeast coast of England during WW2, it stars Michael Kitchen as Detective Chief Superintendent Foyle, Honeysuckle Weeks as his driver and Anthony Howell as his deputy. The episodes are 90 minutes long, time to develop a complex web of interactions. Of course, Foyle always solves the crimes by noticing the details. The production skills are excellent, with vintage planes, trains, cars, fashions, mannerisms and even food. There are eight "sets", mostly of three episodes; the eighth set is darker and deals with the Cold War. Interestingly, Foyle tries several times to ER, but they never let him! Highly recommended.
Thanks! I see it advertised occasionally.

Are actors/actresses in Britain limited to working in certain areas of film work? Seems like you see the same people over and over again. Or is it because we are seeing limited view of British shows?

One of the best things about memory problems is that the second time around can be even better tha the first.
The part about using roku, netflix and amazon that makes the british series so much more entertaining to me, is the use of the closed captioning, and the ability to adjust the size, color and transparency of the captions.
Now, as special treats, DW and I watch our favorites... some for the first time, others as repeats.
Based on reviewing the recommendations in this thread, taking another look at some of the series that didn't really impress in the pilot.

Reconsidered top three...now:
Midsomer Murders
Inspector Morse
George Gently

Are actors/actresses in Britain limited to working in certain areas of film work? Seems like you see the same people over and over again. Or is it because we are seeing limited view of British shows?

Actually the number of actors has expanded greatly in the past decade, and quite a few of them are acting in US TV prime time shows.

Back
Top Bottom