Join Early Retirement Today

What are your average minutes of cell phone use monthly? Max?
Old 10-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What are your average minutes of cell phone use monthly? Max?

On average, I am using about 2500 min/month. I have reached 4000 minutes once. I have no landline.

you?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah. This is a real sore spot with me. We have two cell phones... and a landline. (And, essentially, have no choice in the matter.)

Wireless Minutes.JPG

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:09 PM   #3

I'm not much of a talker. My plan allows for 300 minutes/month. I usually use less than 100 minutes. I have no land line.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have two cell phones and a landline. We normally use about 250 minutes a month between the two cells, and about 120 minutes a month long-distance on the landline.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:50 AM   #5

We have 2 cellphones and a land-line. The combined cellphones total about 5-10 minutes per month. Once in a blue moon, I might use a whopping 30 minutes if I call one of my gabby friends. But she usually calls my land-line, and spends her nickel. As for the land-line....we normally average about 15-20 minutes a month...or less!!!

Obviously we're not 'talkers'.....at least not on phones!
Old 10-25-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Around 100 minutes a month on cell (prepaid t-mobile) for long distance -- I usually buy 1000 minutes every 10-12 months for $88 or so. Since the landline costs only $16 a month, I keep it for local and incoming calls. This works well since friends/relatives call the landline when I'm home, keeping the cell usage down.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:28 AM   #7

We have two cell phones and a landline. The landline is on Verizon's Freedom plan which is unlimited long distance, a "necessity" since DW can easily spend an hour more on the phone with her sister or SIL. Every day. If there is a major event such as a wedding coming up that time will double.

The cell phones are Tracfones (no contract) and I use mine perhaps 3 or 4 minutes a month at most, DW perhaps ten minutes.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I use about 5 minutes a year on my cell phone. I mostly carry it so I can call if I'll be late somewhere or to call 911. I tend to be prompt and the 911 operators aren't that chatty.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
Administrator

We also have 2 cell phones and a landline. I recently upped our cell plan from 700 to 1200 minutes. The reason? We have such poor sound quality on the land line that it's almost impossible to use. After 3 years of arguing with the phone company about this, I'm out of energy.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
Administrator

Less than 5 minutes per month. We switched to prepaid phones for just this reason.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #11

We have no land line, and cell usage is less than 60 minutes /mo. I make calls to the UK every week to my Dad and sister and for this I use Skype PC to phone. It works really well - and only costs 2.1c/minute for UK calls. All our other relatives in the USA and UK either have Skype or MS Messenger so those calls are no charge.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We have 3 cell phones and 2 land lines (2 homes). The 3 cells are for us and DD, using an AT&T family plan. We'd have my Mom on it too, but Sprint is the only system that reaches down in the boonies where she lives.

The land lines don't get too much use. One is included in the townhouse HOA fee (phone, internet, cable) so we don't have a choice. The other is basically free (retirement perk from Megacorp) and functions as a fax and a way to screen cold calls. Plus I use it for 800 number calls when I'm going to be fighting my way through VRUs and bureaucracies.

The three cell phones get a workout, well over 1000 minutes/month. Not to mention the 2000-3000 text messages on daughter's phone every month. DW and I knock off at least 2 or 3 per month each. A fairly expensive set up, but it's worth it for us, given the scattered aspect of the family.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:26 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Two cells and two land-lines (one's connected for faxing--wow, are we in the dark ages--last time I had something to fax, to an insurance company, the recipient suggested I scan it and attach it to an e-mail instead and said that would make our signatures valid vs. faxing (I didn't get that either, but oh well)).

I watch the young'uns walk around talking on their cels (and affluent moms driving in SUVs) and am amazed that they have so many people to call and so much to say.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
.....<snip>...................I watch the young'uns walk around talking on their cells (and affluent moms driving in SUVs) and am amazed that they have so many people to call and so much to say.
I used to wonder about that and I finally realized they are just talking to each other.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:17 PM   #15

My plan has 450 anytime minutes per month, and I use about 200 of them. I mainly keep a cellphone for emergencies when I am out and about as I also have a land line. I don't text or take pictures, etc. and it is not an iPhone or a Blackberry just whatever model is "free" with my plan.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Count me in the low usage prepaid group. I don't think I used half of my $100 last year, and just renewed with another $100 this year. They jacked up the cost/minute, but I realized I was better off renewing with the rollover than trying to find another plan, and I still probably wouldn't use the $100 this year.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #17

About 200 minutes per month over the last year. T-Mobile prepaid.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
.....The cell phones are Tracfones (no contract) .....
Ours are Tracfones too.....got tired of the contracts and monthly charges & fees.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #19

zero!

But if, like thefed, I had no landline, I'd be over 4000 a month (assuming I still had dial-up internet as I do now). If I did my math right, 4000 minutes a month is about 2.3 hours per day. I am almost always online longer than that.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Oh - it's really low. We purchase the minimum we can, and still are way under.

I don't have a landline - what is that?

Audrey