What Are Your Favorite Forums?

This forum, also bogleheads.org, and Bogley. The last is an outdoor forum, often with interesting information about trails, routes, etc., especially in the southwest. Since we often travel to National Parks in the west and southwest, it makes for interesting research, or armchair travel when we’re homebound.

Last edited:
This is the only one I really follow and contribute. I used to keep up with a sports forum for my college team, but I lost patience as politics and personal insults got pretty bad. Another +1 for the policies and moderation here. I've posted in one thread of bogleheads and look around once in awhile but haven't gotten hooked. May try again to see what else to learn. I sometimes read the city-data forums on places I might someday be interested to move, but don't get into the other forums. Someone mentioned zillow--I like to look at listings in areas I might be interested in or have lived in, but I don't think of that as a forum. I'm on a couple of email lists and FB groups for my running. I read comics online and snark in the comments section on a few of them, I guess that kind of counts, but its more humor entertainment to see what others come up with and contribute a bit.

I'm obviously the odd-ball here. THIS is the only forum I read.
This is the only forum I contribute to on a regular basis, but I contribute to various stackexchange's, with stackoverflow (computer programming Q&A) being my primary one.

These are not forums, but they are a noteworthy internet sharing tool that's worth a look if you have never heard of them. Generally, they are "answerable questions" (not debatable questions), so minimal chit-chat.

If you have expertise in an area, it can be fun to put up a definitive answer, or if you're looking for an answer, it's much easier to get one in this format, as opposed to the typical forum format, where there's just a bunch of people sniping each other, and the answer is buried in all of that.

Stack Exchange all sites

8QSw5.jpg

Last edited:
I'm addicted to the sanparks forum, in particular the Kruger Park topics, the birding and the travel tales. It covers all South Africa national parks. Can't get enough of it and planning my fourth trip in May. :dance:

ER is my everyday site and contribute to it but love the people here is why I stay. I have learned a ton just reading the topic.

I do go to a few outdoor site with forums and a wood working site from time to time. I do like to search and read about different things so when I have time I surf.

I used to frequent a particular motorcycle forum but the site crashed a few months ago and never came back. Now it's just this one.

Quatloos Quatloos! - A public educational website covering a wide variety of financial scams & frauds including wacky "prime bank" frauds, exotic foreign currency scams, offshore investment frauds, tax scams, "Pure Trust" structures and more...

Why, you may ask? When I was a landlord, I unknowingly entered into a contract with an anti-government extremist and used that forum for advice and moral support. Sharp bunch - I got the impression many are in law enforcement. I won the frivolous lawsuit, he lost, and I am out of the landlording business, thank God. Interesting segment of society I never knew existed. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.

Last edited:
I used to participate at xmarksthescot.com, but I haven’t even lurked there in about a year.

To be fair, kilt-wearing is a limited topic.

P.S. Yes, I look smashing in a pleated tartan.

This is the only forum I look at regularly, although I like some of the travel and scuba forum sites when planning a trip. Agree with others that the moderators here do a fantastic job!

Quatloos Why, you may ask? When I was a landlord, I unknowingly entered into a contract with an anti-government extremist and used that forum for advice and moral support. Sharp bunch - I got the impression many are in law enforcement. I won the frivolous lawsuit, he lost, and I am out of the landlording business, thank God. Interesting segment of society I never knew existed. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.

That is an intriguing opener.

The only other forum I participate in is the MMM forum. Easily the best thread ever on MMM, even though it was totally unrelated to the forum theme, was the story of a guy who had a squatter fraudster move into his vacant house while the guy was trying to sell it. Very difficult process to get the squatter out.

It was a nailbiter while it was going on.

Finance -

Here and MMM (although mainly just to read the Shame & Comedy threads)

Sports -

DailyNorseman (Vikings), TwinsDaily & Gopher Puck Live (college hockey)

Others -

Reddit, TripAdvisor Forums, City-Data

I have bookmarked a couple new sites today!

Sites I frequent:

Bogleheads
Flyertalk
TUG (timeshares)
Vegas Message Boards
Biggerpockets (real estate)
Various sports forums

Another fan of MrMoneyMustache.com here.
My favorite thread is "Epic FU I Quit" stories. Feel good and hilarious.
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/epic-fu-money-stories/

Bogleheads.org

DiscussCooking.com

BiggerPockets.com for real estate investors

FlyerTalk.com for travel (tho I don't travel for business)

ExpatForum.com (still thinking about moving abroad)

City-Data.com (even though some people can be mean there)

forum.purseblog.com I like the Kitchen subforum. Site was started by some wealthy gals who love very expensive designer purses and fashion.

Early-Retirement.org has the nicest people by far!

Early-Retirement.org has the nicest people by far!

Agree that this forum has the nicest people by far. People here are helpful, knowledgeable and some are pretty funny.

This is the only forum I read regularly. I read other forums every now and then.

This forum is the only one I read regularly anymore. I'm a member on a few other forums like vwvortex, sawmillcreek, nextpvr, and powerbasic but I probably visit those once or twice a year at most. It just takes too much time to visit each individual site and go through each login process.

I miss the usenet newsgroup days where you could subscribe to multiple topics and read/respond in a single reader. Web forums are "prettier" but are so much more awkward and inconsistent to use.

I do use RSSOwl to read a variety of newsfeeds including engadget, lifehacker, crunchgear, and a variety of news, cooking, environmental, and local newspaper sites. Similar to usenet I like that I can read a variety of topics in a single reader without having to log in to each individual forum. Unfortunately, it's a read-only system (no questions or conversations) and it seems RSS is on the decline too. Many of the feeds I used to subscribe too have gone away and it's getting hard to find new ones that interest me.

I only read two forums regularly now...this one and TUG (timesharing).

This forum regularly... a forum on college hockey during the hockey season but event then only a couple times a month.

Back
Top Bottom