Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What are your Labor Day plans?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:59 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
A coincidence...my friends in Western Massachusetts called last night, partly to describe how their community dock on their smallish lake was destroyed by Ernesto. All we got here on the central SC coast was an all-day much-needed rain.
What we got wouldn't have affected you the same way on the coast. No one builds docks on the ocean like they do inland. They really shouldn't build them like my neighbor's where I am on the Tidal Potomac. In a nor-easter we have a 9 mile fetch for waves to build up. That is essentially what Ernesto was - 7 hours of 45 mph winds. The unusually high waves, coupled with already high waters caused surges that pounded on the bottom side of the planks. The same thing happened during Isabel a couple of years ago - to the same docks . I guess they got the proverbial fifty year storms two years apart.

You would think they would build docks with those metal grates you see on some bridges instead of wood decking. The storm surge would just wash up through the openings. Me - I skip the dock and just carry my wind-surfing boards into the water.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2006, 12:16 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I played in a 3 day golf tournament. Glad it wasn't a 4 day event, couldn't have made another day. Riding around in a golf cart for 3 days and doing wrist curls is very tiring. My golf partner and I did manage to win our division.*
Old 09-05-2006, 12:26 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Friday afternoon our kid came home from school and announced that she'd be leaving in a few moments to attend her first football game. *The school is only a mile away and she was riding her bike so she was totally independent (especially so after a parental cash infusion for food purchases). *After she left I realized that our total parental contact time that day had been less than five minutes. *Spouse and I high-fived each other which led to other things...

A few hours later I asked "She's coming home by 9 PM, right?" *Spouse said "I told her to call if she'd be later than that."

You veteran parents know where this is going, and by 9:15 I initiated SAR. *If you haven't been to a high-school football game for a few years (nearly 30 of them in my case) it's quite an experience in wading through the teen hormones & exposed flesh. *Unfortunately (fortunately?) after about 45 minutes I established that none of them appeared to belong to ours and I headed home to start backtracking. *(The party was just beginning-- some families were even setting up parking-lot potluck after the game.) *Luckily (for us) she had turned up at 9:45 PM and was quite chastened when she saw the flurry of activity on her behalf. *If she ever goes to another football game, we'll see how long that lesson sticks.

It was a lovely Saturday up at Bellows by the beach, hanging out among our fellow martial artists without actually kicking each others' butts. *Well, except on the paintball range-- our kid came back thoroughly exhausted and $75 poorer but with a big smile on her paint-stained face. *This paramilitary stuff really trips her trigger, so to speak.

The surf hasn't been very good so Sunday turned into home improvement and homework day. *Sunday night dragged on a bit when the Kipapa Gulch Jawaiian Band cranked up their amps and ensonified Central Oahu. *(I can't complain-- the keyboard guy could've worked for Frampton, and they played a mean blues tune in among the Jawaiian crap.) *

Monday turned into more homework & chores, although at 8 PM it turned out that some of the homework had been done wrong. *This necessitated another hour of overfatigued kid efforts on redrawing the nitrogen carbon nitrogen carbon nitrogen (and I really mean it this time dammit) cycle.

But hey, it's Tuesday, the surf is rising tomorrow, and I can nap. *Great weekend!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:14 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria

ASIDE
Anybody have any idea why some of the pictures on the forum display for me, but others just show the little paperclip and title, which, when clicked, show a message about not being able to view pictures on this board? It doesn't seem to matter which board, but I have noticed that I can always see pictures posted by Cut-Throat (there may well be other patterns that I haven't yet discerned). I can see the picture that T-Al posted above, but not his recent surfing pix*
HINT: you have to log in to see the pictures!
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:56 PM   #45

I am logged in !: 8) (I leave myself logged in almost all the time and "re-up" periodically as needed--I just keep a tab in my browser for this forum most of the time.) Yup, I can log in, see a picture on one thread, then not see a picture on another (or the same) thread. It's a mystery!

EDIT For example, I can't display any of T-Al's lists in the Dining Out thread.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:36 PM   #46

Minnesota Fair - just the wife and I - kids are at the age where they have a life of their own now....kinda cool for us...well we ate food on a stick which is the mantra at our fair - I believe there are 58 different "things" on a stick...I stayed away from the nasty stuff like fried candy bars and cheese curds and porcupine meatballs...stuck with fresh fried walleye and chicken.... 8)

Here's a guy's blog if you want to do deep research on how to do this at home....
http://minnesotastatefair.blogspot.com/

[img width=750 height=562]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/DanTien/StickPix20032.jpg[/img]
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:33 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

"Fudge pasties"? I wonder how they get them to adhere to that sensitive area...

Betcha can't eat just one!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote