Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What are your Labor Day plans?
Old 08-31-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

What are your Labor Day plans?

Besides not laboring, I mean.

Our kid has school on Friday, but Saturday at 8:15 AM she'll be dressed in her best dirt-eating clothes for a "friendly" paintball marathon at Bellows. She'll keep shooting until her money runs out. Our tae kwon do dojang is spending the weekend up there so we'll probably enjoy a lazy afternoon of lunching and beaching.

Sunday & Monday we'll have to keep an eye on the surf report... or I'll be obligated to do yardwork and she'll have to jump-start her homework.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What are your Labor Day plans?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Annual family get together Sat. Sunday have BBQ at aunts house and Monday might find us attending an auction a couple hours away.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

3 day golf tournament. What else?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Read, workout and then read some more....
Old 08-31-2006, 07:34 PM   #5
gone traveling

I am driving from raleigh to Bound Brook NJ without my wife to start my 28th school year and my last in NJ the day after labor day.

Wondafoool, 509 miles and who knows what the roads will be like a hurricane is heading up the coast tonight thru sat night.

Man I really do not want to do this, BUT the light at the end of the tunnel is looking bright. And the 25K I will take home in salary the next 4 months and a 15K sick day payout in Jan will make it worthwhile, Yippie
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:57 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

We are planning an out-of-the-ordinary Labor Day weekend. Tomorrow DW and I celebrate our 38th anniversary and both our daughters and all four of the grandkids will be in town...hopefully to take ol’ mom & dad out to dinner.

Saturday we are going to a retirement party…actually, we’re throwing it. We’re making the 2½ hour drive to visit my FIL to help him celebrate hanging up his spurs (literally) after a career as an honest to goodness real-life cowboy (think 'Gus', the charachter Robert Duvall played in "Lonesome Dove"). He’s one of those fortunate individuals who truly enjoyed his work and is only retiring due to health reasons. His early days of breaking horses and a lifetime sitting astride a horse have finally caught up with him and he can no longer walk more than a few feet. His legs are so bowed that with his feet together there is a gap of 10 inches between his knees. Not the FIRE type, he hung on as long as he possibly could to the job he loved. He is 87.

He’s been a widower living alone for the past 9 years, and we are very concerned about his future well being. Fiercely independent, there is no way he will come to live with us or accept much in the way of help. Any way I view it, the end doesn’t look pretty…but I suppose it never does.

Sunday and Monday we will try to recover from the trip and the grandkids. Two days of peace and quiet will be nice.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:43 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Tomorrow, putz around the house, and maybe put poly coat #1 on my shelf, which has been languishing in my garage since the 100 degree weather...

Later, shrimp on the barbie, and few Dos Equiis, watch a flick, maybe even get lucky... :P

Saturday, Mexican food with the parents, buy a used bike from Craigslist for DGF, drink more beer...

Sunday and Monday, w*rk...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:48 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Avoiding in-laws by powerwashing the patio and driveway.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:16 PM   #9

Off to Fla. to see my new grandson for the first time. He was born 10 days ago. Due in Oct. but he arrived a little early. Can't wait.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:49 PM   #10

Going kayaking with my younger son. He is entering senior year of HS and it will be quite a paddle. It is a cave paddle on Santa Cruz Island off the Santa Barbara CA coast. I have done this before and it is one of the best places I have ever paddled.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:53 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Out of respect to w**king stiffs, I'm trying to treat the long weekend as "special" even though I don't know what is special about it other than crowds, congestion, etc. *It'll be great when Tuesday rolls around and I can enjoy my normal FIRE lifestyle without the "w**kers being around crowding things!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:00 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Going to my nephew's wedding at Fort Belvoir tomorrow. Then going to our weekend place with some of the family on Sunday and Monday. There we will either watch the rain and read (if Ernesto is still hanging around) or water-ski, wakeboard, and fish if the weather clears. Then back to the daily grind of the pepetual Saturday.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:58 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Besides not laboring, I mean.
No backyard cookout for me. Unfortunately laboring away in Tel Aviv this weekend and through most of next week, then up to Grenoble and Paris for more working fun. At least going to Elat tomorrow to check out the Red Sea (I think that's what they call it there) and nice weather this time of year too, but work is still work. Wife and DD's will continue the school clothes shopping spree back home.

[can't speak a lick of Hebrew but I am starting to get familiar with the range of a Kytusha :]
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:17 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm in Mexico house and pet sitting, life is awfully tough but someone has to do it* :P

Fortunately Hurricane John by-passed us and the weather has been really pleasant.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:57 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Holidays: bad! Now that I'm retired, I want the wage slaves chained to a desk, and not out on the roads, at the surf spots, or in the checkout lines.

Get back to work, scum!

Old 09-01-2006, 11:02 AM   #16

Today starts my vacation, no plans for the weekend mostly because we will get hit with some of Ernestos left over rain and wind. Monday might be nice so dh and I will take his truck to the car show. Tuesday is Brimfield Fleamarket and the rest of the week is just me staying in bed knowing I don't have to get up and go anywhere.

Today I'm getting all that stuff done that needs doin, banking, post office etc.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:40 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Hiking out to a rustic cabin (no elctricity or running water ) in Merck Forest(approx. 2.5 mi by trail from the road)....West Rupert VT....with DH, 7 friends, an 18month old and three dogs...hope Ernesto just keeps on moving and doesn't rain on our parade!!!

Adventuregirl
Old 09-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #18

Kayaking, hiking, and backyard relaxing.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:50 PM   #19

I'm leaving for Maui on Saturday. It's been a long wait, but it's almost here.

My new ear Doctor told me yesterday not to go snorkeling (the pressure could put me into veritgo). Yeah, right Doc. I've been dreaming about snorkeling in warm tropical water since I was 15.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:31 PM   #20

I'm envious of all the jet and kayak setters

I'll be at Lowes and other likely spots getting our ideas fianlized for our fantasy bathrooms...remember our discussion last year
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote