Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After megacorp decided to give us a 2 week vacation using our own vacation time (read forced plant closing) for the 2nd year in a row, I have finally figured out how to enjoy myself for the 2 weeks. The first year I nearly drove myself crazy doing nothing but watching TV and playing computer games.

Let's see a few days in Montreal visiting friends, dancing, drinking, and generally being a cad followed by a few days in NY visiting family and pretending to be an alter boy followed by a few more days back home taking dance lessons and attending what is expected to be a crazy NYE party where the party organizer encourages the party goers to "get rooms" at the hotel just in case, I think I have finally figured out how to enjoy Christmas. FYI: I'm not getting any rooms. I don't over estimate my sex appeal or the general libidinousness of American women.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
FYI: I'm not getting any rooms. I don't over estimate my sex appeal or the general libidinousness of American women.
Heh. I suspect the reason rooms are recommended has a lot more to do with "too drunk to find your way home" than with anything else...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, since this is the second year in a row that the kids and I are sick, what we do depends on how we feel. Ideally, we host the family for dinner tomorrow night, have Christmas morning here and head to my parents' place in the afternoon. Last year we limped through Xmas eve dinner and doctored the kids (read: clean up barf) all day Xmas. Merry &(*$&%#!ing Xmas and a germy new year.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Xmas a peaceful but lonely day here, as the closest kids are at the outlaws place this year. So we'll make up for it by leaving Sunday and visiting them for New Years week, and bring in the new year with the six of them. It was a blast last time we did that.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

C'mon now guys...we can live a little Christmas past. This is a pic of me at Christmas when I was about 11 years old. My first 'professional' drawing board.

Got any old Christmas pics to share?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xmas.jpg (41.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Like most Jews we will follow our usual tradition of chinese food and a movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I'm not Jewish, but that's exactly what I plan on doing.....
Although we're going to the Masonic Lodge for roast beast at noon, we've definitely been planning on Chinese from Lin Garden for supper! Maybe somewhere within my Heinz 57 ancestry I'm actually part Jewish as well...ya just never know with our family!
Old 12-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Heh. I suspect the reason rooms are recommended has a lot more to do with "too drunk to find your way home" than with anything else...
Oh, really? I was thinking that the ladies heard that the great Salsalero BunsGettingFirm is gracing the party. Strange, but I never drink when I dance. Can't imagine being not 100% when the activity demands 100% awareness.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Once I heard a rehab councillor (a friend, not in professional context ) say that if men/boys were taught to dance in school there would be a lot less drunks around. Most of us require lubrication before being able to (or thinking we can) trip the light fantastic. Personally, I always preferred being in the band. Still got the women, didn't have to dance.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:36 AM   #49

Our Christmas plans have been a little disrupted this year. I had to come over to England as my Dad was sick and then he died before I arrived. Funeral was yesterday so I am now a lot more relaxed and looking forward to Christmas with my 2 sisters and their families plus my brother who has come over from Australia.

We had planned to have Christmas with my son and daughter in DD's 1st house that they bought earlier this year. We will have New Year with them instead as I am due to get back on the 28th.

On Boxing Day (26th) my brother has tickets for us to go see our local soccer team, Sunderland, in The Stadium of Light playing Everton in a Premier League game. I can't even remember the last time we went to a game together as I went to the USA in 1987 and he to Australia in 1994.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:57 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday I had Christmas Chinese food at lunch with some former coworkers. Early this afternoon I'll pick up one cousin and we will go to another cousins for Christmas Eve afternoon goodies and presents for the kids. This evening I will be going to the neighbors for Christmas eve goodies. Tomorrow morning I'll be baking and in the afternoon go visiting with the baking and pig out at another cousins, again with presents for the kids time. (If we get freezing rain this will happen Saturday). Sometime I have some other kids presents to deliver. Boxing day I plan to have a nap.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
C'mon now guys...we can live a little Christmas past. This is a pic of me at Christmas when I was about 11 years old. My first 'professional' drawing board.

Got any old Christmas pics to share?
Great pic.
You inspired me to dig out some older childhood pics and digitize them.
Talk about stirring up the cobwebs.

I'm going to guess I was 10 years old, sitting on Santa's lap. So had I been a good girl that year?

The second one was taken on a day when The Bird had escaped her crib (see bars to left in pic).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1224090839.jpg (287.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 1224090840.jpg (135.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #52

We drove all the way from Mississippi to KC, Missouri over 3 days. Started out last weekend - stopped in Memphis to take in Graceland, then on to see DH's father in Arkansas, and then the next day on to Missouri to see DH's mother and extended family. Have been hanging out here since trying not to eat and drink too much...

Today all the children/family will come over for Christmas eve dinner, and it will be a madhouse - but fun as always. This weekend we will drive back but will stop for a night in St. Louis, MO. We are going to go up in the arch and also hope to tour the Budweiser plant.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:32 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Our Christmas plans have been a little disrupted this year. I had to come over to England as my Dad was sick and then he died before I arrived. Funeral was yesterday so I am now a lot more relaxed and looking forward to Christmas with my 2 sisters and their families plus my brother who has come over from Australia.

On Boxing Day (26th) my brother has tickets for us to go see our local soccer team, Sunderland, in The Stadium of Light playing Everton in a Premier League game. I can't even remember the last time we went to a game together as I went to the USA in 1987 and he to Australia in 1994.
So sorry to hear the news of your father's passing, Alan. It's so difficult when things like this happen, let alone at holiday time. Of course it will make you appreciate family time even more - have a wonderful time with your brother at the soccer game.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

As for old photos, there's a great one of me getting a toy trumpet on Christmas in my underwear, but it may have been lost in a fire years ago.

So here is one from 1962 and one from 1982:

Old 12-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
My condolences, Alan. This is difficult at Christmastime.

I am glad you will be able to spend some time with your sisters and brother over Christmas.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #56

Sorry to hear of the loss of your father Alan. However, I do hope you enjoy your time with your siblings.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Freebird...I love your pics...especially the 'escapee' one. Dang girl, you had a lot of hair! So precious....

T Al...love your pics, especially the second one. Whew wee...you were one chick magnet and still are!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #58

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I just got a text message from DW to say she and DS have arrived safely in Austin with DD for Christmas (I was just starting to get worried)
Old 12-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Alan...I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your father. Draw strength and make new, sweet memories with your family this Christmas. I will be thinking of you.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
As for old photos, there's a great one of me getting a toy trumpet on Christmas in my underwear, but it may have been lost in a fire years ago.

So here is one from 1982:

Al, it appears that your wife has always been your very big fan. Way to go man.

Ha