Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What Billionaires Drive
Old 03-16-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What Billionaires Drive

http://www.forbesautos.com/advice/to...lionaires.html

Warren drives a 2001 Lincoln Town Car...

I'm surprised its not a 1998 Camry...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What Billionaires Drive
Old 03-16-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To summarize, if you are a software founder (except Steve Ballmer) or a Prince, your car is BLING! Everyone else on their list has normal cars.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:33 PM   #3

a few weeks back south florida news stations reported on a $1.4 million bugatti on display here. the miami dealership reportedly took 10 orders of the total 300 to be built (downpayment $400k each). 1000 ponies. 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. with all the traffic here i'm not sure where they think they are going but wow, they're gonna catch up to that car in the traffic in front of them really fast (and in great style).

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:23 AM   #4

Zero to three in 0.1 seconds. Sweet. How's that three to zero braking distance?
Old 03-17-2006, 08:10 AM   #5

I'm impressed that anyone can even MAKE a street-ready car that can do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. Seems to me that once you get to a certain amount of power, there's just simply no way to keep it from breaking traction and just spinning the wheels. And as a result not going anywhere.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:41 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
I'm impressed that anyone can even MAKE a street-ready car that can do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds.* Seems to me that once you get to a certain amount of power, there's just simply no way to keep it from breaking traction and just spinning the wheels.* And as a result not going anywhere.
I couldn't handle the g forces. I wonder when drivers are going to have to start wearing flight suits & cervical supports to maintain consciousness while avoiding broken bones...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I couldn't handle the g forces. I wonder when drivers are going to have to start wearing flight suits & cervical supports to maintain consciousness while avoiding broken bones...
Isn't 0 to 60 mph in 2.5 seconds only equal to 1.09 g's? And the addition of the 1 g downwards vector force with the 1.09 g backwards vector force is only 1.48 g's. So you might feel ~75-100 pounds heavier (48% heavier) or so when you hit the throttle. These calcs assume linear acceleration.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Isn't 0 to 60 mph in 2.5 seconds only equal to 1.09 g's?* And the addition of the 1 g downwards vector force with the 1.09 g backwards vector force is only 1.48 g's.* So you might feel ~75-100 pounds heavier (48% heavier) or so when you hit the throttle.* These calcs assume linear acceleration.*
Umm...English please.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Isn't 0 to 60 mph in 2.5 seconds only equal to 1.09 g's?* And the addition of the 1 g downwards vector force with the 1.09 g backwards vector force is only 1.48 g's.* So you might feel ~75-100 pounds heavier (48% heavier) or so when you hit the throttle.* These calcs assume linear acceleration.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
Umm...English please.
I'm talking about that initial (non-linear!) shoveback that gives hemorrhoids to jet aviators...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 03-17-2006, 12:44 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The only problem with 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds is that it frequently results in 0 to crashing into something in 2.2 seconds...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #11

Nords -- I was kidding. *I understood exactly what you wrote.

It's interesting to note that the founder of IKEA still drives a 12-13 year old Volvo. *Although this somewhat sounds like the Millionaire Next Door syndrome, I think he probably just looks at his car as transportation. *As long as it runs, why bother replacing it. *Think about it this way. *Once you're worth a billion dollars, do you really need to prove ANYTHING to other people? *Will a flashy car change people's opinions of you? *I doubt it, simply because everyone already knows you're a billionaire.

Personally, I think it's more impressive that he doesn't care what he drives. *That type of emotional detachment from material possessions demonstrates a practical and rationale mindset, which is exactly what you want in a leader.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 03-17-2006, 01:15 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
As long as it runs, why bother replacing it.
As long as it runs, that's less hassle than obtaining a replacement.

And lately it's a comfort not to have to learn all the new bells, buzzers, & buttons.

Maybe we have the wrong approach. Kissinger didn't care what car he owned as long as his driver was happy. And he didn't even know where he lived, as long as his driver could get him there...

Old 03-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #13

I remember there was this roller coaster at Six Flags America in Maryland called the Joker's Jinx, that would shoot you from 0-70 in someting like 4 seconds. That was enough to give me a headache, and give me that pinned-back-in-your-seat feel.

I'd hate to think of something that could launch that fast or faster in the hands of the typical American driver!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
I remember there was this roller coaster at Six Flags America in Maryland called the Joker's Jinx, that would shoot you from 0-70 in someting like 4 seconds.* That was enough to give me a headache, and give me that pinned-back-in-your-seat feel.*

I'd hate to think of something that could launch that fast or faster in the hands of the typical American driver!*
You mean the typical American driver with too much credit (note, I said credit, not actual money) than good sense?
Old 03-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I'm talking about that initial (non-linear!) shoveback that gives hemorrhoids to jet aviators...
Jerk.

No, I'm not calling you names. That's the name of the rate of change of acceleration that you're talking about (the change from sitting there to being shoved back).

Old 03-17-2006, 02:49 PM   #16

what billionaire paul allen drives when he's not driving his 1988 porsche

http://www.yachtcrew-cv.com/resource....pps#336,1,The Worlds Largest Privately Owned Yacht “Octopus”

i couldn't afford the 65 ft dinghy.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:56 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
"The submarine has the capacity to sleep eight for up to two weeks underwater."
I think that's on the inside of the submarine.

BFD-- I wouldn't pay extra for this. But I'd hate to see how Allen disciplines his wayward crew.