Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2010, 07:44 AM   #21

"Quality time" with DW. That always works.

A motorcycle ride on a twisty road.

Drifting downstream in the boat.

An airplane ride in a small plane, preferably with some acrobatics thrown in.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes W2R, darling kitty is in a bad way. You've gotten to know me all too well. I'm trying not to talk about it too much here 'cause it's a bummer.

You guys have cheered me up. Kinda like that best buddy from my workin' days I could gripe to about the boss, the lousy commute, or how upset I was not to be selected for a promotion. Bet many of you had one of those.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Yes W2R, darling kitty is in a bad way. You've gotten to know me all too well. I'm trying not to talk about it too much here 'cause it's a bummer.

You guys have cheered me up. Kinda like that best buddy from my workin' days I could gripe to about the boss, the lousy commute, or how upset I was not to be selected for a promotion. Bet many of you had one of those.
Aw!! I am so sorry that kitty is doing poorly. I'm glad we could cheer you up a little bit. Yes, I had a best buddy at work like that! Margaret and I worked together very closely and became best friends. We could say anything to each other, and in that high stress work environment it really helped. So, I know what you mean. If/when you need a shoulder to lean on, I would be happy to lend you mine and I think many others on the board feel the same way. By the way, this thread is great! I love everyone's suggestions and really got a kick out of the laughing baby video.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Talking with a trusted friend
Taking a long walk
Snuggling with my little dog
A soak in a warm tub with a glass of wine
A good book
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I have been really blue in my life, the greatest gift I have received is, simply, the gift of a friend or relative being there for me and listening. Sometimes I just need be with the pain - and, gradually it works itself out. Time really does heal.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:43 PM   #26

Dog.

She doesn't have many duties but she consistently performs the "cheer up" one every time. If I could only get her to ease off the bark one we'd be perfect.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Once, when I felt blue, freebird5825 introduced me to this song, Blue.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #28

Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear this, Purron. I lost a beloved cat over 3 years ago and still not a day goes by that I don't think about him. I think there are plenty of us here who can relate and would be glad to listen.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I never feel down. My life started when I retired 3-1/2 years ago; DH and I are in the best years of our lives. We're happy with where we live, with our house and 1-acre property, with our friends and family, and our volunteer activities. We couldn't possibly ask for more.
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #30
gone traveling

Think about everything that is right in your life, and remember that usually the things that aren't are out of your control.

Hang in there; better times ahead.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Took Hummer to the vet today and my vet, who is more than a vet but a friend, gave me that look. That look that said "I'm so sorry". He's down to about 5 pounds now - my beautiful boy whose "cruising weight" was 12 pounds for most of his adult life.

She gave him some meds for the nausea but the reality is he has a tumor now that's pressing against his tummy inside and makes him unable to keep food down. She also gave him some IV fluids which never hurts in a case like this.

So I bring him home and what does he do? Comes out of the pet carrier and rubs his head against my leg. Gives me that big, beautiful green eyed look and climbs into his favorite chair in the living room.

I have managed to use an oral syringe to get some food into him tonight. He just keeps looking at me and I fall to pieces.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

A long hike, especially in a pretty place
Time with DW and the kids (especially if they are not going nuts)
Homebrew

Indulging in the last tonight. A wonderful braggot made with pale male, wheat, and a whole lot of the finest tupelo honey I have ever found (from this guy Tupelo Honey from Wewahitchka Florida - Smiley Apiaries ). It smells like heaven, is almost 9% ABV, and goes down smooth.

Sorry about the kitty, Purron. I have one elderly dog with lymphoma (on chemo), and a 15 YO beagle who is on like 6 meds a day. We get the privilege of their presence for as long as we get it and then we have to let them go.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #33

+1 on the long walks outside when the sun is out and strenuous gym workout when the weather is bad.

Kittens and puppies also make it very hard to stay blue. We recently lost a cat to congestive heart failure; but, we adopted two kittens from a local shelter before the older cat passed. Not only did the kittens cheer us up (and, keep us too busy to mope) but I also honestly think they provided some distraction/amusement for the older cat in her last days when she wasn't really able to do much.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
Kittens and puppies also make it very hard to stay blue.
I agree. I took in 5 kittens from the shelter almost 2 weeks ago to foster. High maintenance ones - a bit over 3 weeks, no momma and not yet weaned. I hesitated because Hummer was so ill. But then I thought, hey, they're at the same shelter I adopted him from 13 years ago. Seemed poetic somehow.

They are doing great and have helped me from free falling into the "negativity spiral".

Here are some pictures of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Outta my way!.JPG (439.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P1010149.JPG (442.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Team shot.JPG (419.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 05-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I'm so sorry you're going through this Purron...I know it breaks your heart.

But let me tell ya.....you are a loving, strong woman. Not only do you adopt pets, but you foster them as well. You are able to give the foster 'kids' to others that would love a pet. Even though you know they need to go to other homes, I'm sure you get attached to them.

This flower is for you......I wish we had more Purrons in this world.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #36

Quote:
She also gave him some IV fluids which never hurts in a case like this.
Has your vet suggested that you give subcutaneous fluids at home? I don't know if you've done this yourself or not, but I learned to do it in the last couple of years of my 20-year old cat's life.

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job caring for Hummer, and he knows it too. I know how very difficult it is when a beloved pet is sick. Please feel free to PM me if you would like some moral support.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
Has your vet suggested that you give subcutaneous fluids at home? I don't know if you've done this yourself or not, but I learned to do it in the last couple of years of my 20-year old cat's life.
Thanks. I thought about it because DH and I did subcutaneous fluids at home years ago with a very sick kitty. Sadly, I don't think Hummer has much time. Depending on how he does tomorrow, we may do this as it does often help ailing pets very much. I'd need a "refresher class" but know it's not hard to do at all. I appreciate your suggestion very much.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So sorry to hear about your cat Purron. Enjoy the time that you have left with him. I think that the fostering of animals that you do is wonderful.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

So sorry that little Hummer's time is fading.

Sometimes the best way to deal with being sad is just to be sad. Then count your blessings when you feel better.