Join Early Retirement Today

What concerts have you been to?
Old 03-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What concerts have you been to?

I've seen a few shows. I remember a "What was the best concert you attended?" (something like that) thread a little while ago that was interesting.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 12:08 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
... Don't do much nostalgia, either. Many of the old classic rock acts should FIRE, though I suspect many have drank/snorted at too high a SWR, and are touring because of the money. A few acts always impress: Jeff Beck hasn't lost anything; in fact, I think he gets better. ...
I'll third that, and even amplify it a bit (pun intended). After watching the Crossroads DVD and youtube videos the past few years, I was super-impressed with Jeff Beck's musicality and versatility, in addition to technique.

So I go and dig out and digitize my Truth and Wired LPs, and they sound dated and somewhat pretentious to me. Maybe a couple standouts on each, but I definitely think he has gotten better with age. He plays so many styles now - well, maybe he did back then too, but the LPs only capture a bit of that. Plus, I can't watch his finger-work on an LP - I can only strum a few chords and pick out a few basic runs, and it's amazing to me to watch all the ways he uses his fingers and thumb to get sound out of those strings.

-ERD50

Old 03-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #43

Anyone go to Stomping 76, I drove down with 3 women in my '67 VW squareback.

76.JPG
Old 03-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'll third that, and even amplify it a bit (pun intended). After watching the Crossroads DVD and youtube videos the past few years, I was super-impressed with Jeff Beck's musicality and versatility, in addition to technique.

So I go and dig out and digitize my Truth and Wired LPs, and they sound dated and somewhat pretentious to me. Maybe a couple standouts on each, but I definitely think he has gotten better with age. He plays so many styles now - well, maybe he did back then too, but the LPs only capture a bit of that. Plus, I can't watch his finger-work on an LP - I can only strum a few chords and pick out a few basic runs, and it's amazing to me to watch all the ways he uses his fingers and thumb to get sound out of those strings.

-ERD50
And getting to watch Tal Wilkenfeld on the bass on that Crossroads DVD didn't hurt either.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:41 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Anyone go to Stomping 76, I drove down with 3 women in my '67 VW squareback.

Attachment 21214
I was there! dude! I went to Radford '74-'78, and that was the biggest thing that happened down there in the entire 4 years. That was my very first festival, and I can't really remember much of it, but I know I was there.

It was also the first time I ever saw Dave Bromberg, but it certainly wasn't the last. Now I live (half the year) near OC MD, and Bromberg lives up in Wilmington DE. I went up there and went to his violin shop. It was cool, but very upscale and for serious string musicians. You should have an appointment, but they let me in and Bromberg spent a little time talking to me. Classy guy, probably gets idjits like me in there pretty often.

Amazingly small world, isn't it? Do you ever get out to Floydfest?
Old 03-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
One of my cousin's sons asked me what groups I had seen in the 60s and 70s so I sat down and made a list. I haven't been to a concert in about 35 years.

Guess Who (2 times)
The Who (7 times)
Jefferson Airplane (2 times)
Grateful Dead (7 times)
BB King

The Association
Cream
Sweetwater (2 times)
Johnny Winter
Edgar Winter
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Bachman Turner Overdrive
America
Moody Blues
The Doors
Taj Mahal
10 Years After
Savoy Brown
Fleetwood Mac
Country Joe and the Fish
Steppenwolf
The Eagles
Canned Heat
Big Brother & the Holding Company (Janis Joplin)
Howlin’ Wolf
Joe Cocker
Flaming Groovies
Youngbloods
ZZ Top (at CC Tap bar in Minneapolis)
Leo Kottke
Moby Grape
The Band
There are some pretty good concert lists here. This one would make a good wish list for me.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
And getting to watch Tal Wilkenfeld on the bass on that Crossroads DVD didn't hurt either.

"Live at Ronnie Scott's" is an excellent Jeff Beck DVD, featuring Tal.

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Not a country fan (lucky for us, all kinds of music in Nashville), but it was big news here when Garth did a surprise "giveaway tickets only" preview of his tour on Wednesday night at a club for a few hundred very lucky fans: Garth Brooks plays secret show at Marathon Music Works

Wow, that is so cool!
Old 03-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I was there! dude! I went to Radford '74-'78, and that was the biggest thing that happened down there in the entire 4 years. That was my very first festival, and I can't really remember much of it, but I know I was there.

It was also the first time I ever saw Dave Bromberg, but it certainly wasn't the last. Now I live (half the year) near OC MD, and Bromberg lives up in Wilmington DE. I went up there and went to his violin shop. It was cool, but very upscale and for serious string musicians. You should have an appointment, but they let me in and Bromberg spent a little time talking to me. Classy guy, probably gets idjits like me in there pretty often.

Amazingly small world, isn't it? Do you ever get out to Floydfest?
Only for important things.

PICT0045.jpg
Old 03-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #50

I went to a Beatles concert in Washington, DC in 1964. One of my sister's friends had a ticket and couldn't go. That was it. Not a big concert fan. Too many people there.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

You win. I've seen them all separately, but never together. Pretty sure my cousin was at that concert, though.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the memory jog. We went to a Little Feat concert about 4 years ago. Only concert we've ever left early. It was an outdoor venue, the pot smoke was so thick (there was a day that wouldn't have bothered us), people kept knocking over our lawn chairs (with us in them) and they just didn't sound good.

And how the heck did I forget to list Bruce Springstein? And Kenny Chesney? And Brad Paisley? I responded too quickly.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I've thought of a few more since my OP, but you get the point. Been to several rock, blues, and bluegrass fests, thought I don't recall much about the line-ups,, or, in some cases, the festival itself!

I don't do large venues much these days. Maybe if they had a Laz-Y-Boy section... Don't do much nostalgia, either. Many of the old classic rock acts should FIRE, though I suspect many have drank/snorted at too high a SWR, and are touring because of the money. A few acts always impress: Jeff Beck hasn't lost anything; in fact, I think he gets better. But many acts are no better than a tribute/garage band, with few "original" members, and often sloppy playing and squeaky vocals. Anyhow, unless Lennon and Harrison reincarnate, and The Beatles reunite, I'm mostly done with nostalgia.

Luckily, there are programs like "Austin City Limits", "Later with Jools Holland", "Live From Daryl's House", and "Texas Music Scene", among others, that offer exposure to unknown artists, from the comfort of my iCouch!

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

Lol😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-01-2015, 05:47 PM   #54

I'm deeply envious of you folks who got to see the great acts of the '60s. I was just a hair too young for that, but saw a lot of shows in the 70's - 90's.

A few I remember well:

Queen in '74 in NYC (first time they played Bohemian Rhapsody in the USA)

Patti Smith in Central Park in '75 (when chanted avant garde poetry could still blow my teenaged mind)

ARMS benefit in '84 (Clapton, Beck and Page in the same show)

Red Hot Chili Peppers in '85 (when they played wearing only socks - 1 each)

Janes Addiction in '89 in Hollyweird

Nine Inch Nails in '93 on the opening night of the Downward Spiral tour.

Jesus and Mary Chain in '94 on the Stoned and Dethroned / Honey's Dead tour. Great show, but I probably still have tinnitus from that one.

PJ Harvey in '95 at the Mayan in LA - phenomenal performer

Also in '95 Kristen Hersh in a tiny club with an audience of maybe 100. 180 degrees different from PJ Harvey, but just as gripping a performer. The mid-90s were a great time for female rockers.

Dick Dale in '96 - who still rocked as hard as when he premiered Misirlou 35 years earlier.

and a whole bunch of Punk, New Wave and Grunge (and a dozen or so Dead shows) in the mix.

Like a lot of folks here though, I eventually got tired of the loud and the late and pretty much quit going to concerts by the time I turned 40.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
There are some pretty good concert lists here. This one would make a good wish list for me.
I was extremely lucky to be in Minneapolis from 1968 to 1975. There were a lot of great venues. The best was the Tyrone Guthrie Theater.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #56

Not really concert oriented... Only two come to mind as being memorable, though I'm sure we've been to many over the years.

Most memorable... The first Newport Jazz Festival in 1954, when I had just graduated from High School, and it wasn't really like being there in the audience... With a couple of buddies, we drove from Pawtucket down to Newport, and managed to park the car just outside the fence with a peek view to the stage. The three of us sat on the roof of our '46 Nash, and watched and listened to almost all of the concert until the cops made us move along. Fond memories.

The other memorable concert was in 1972 when we lived in Saratoga NY, and went to see the Carpenters at the then fairly new SPAC Saratoga Performing Arts Center. We sat on the lawn on a blanket with our four kids, who were big fans. Tickets $1.75, kids free, and we brought our own picnic dinner.
Found this news article here:
Schenectady Gazette - Google News Archive Search

So, no big list, but some great memories.
.................................................. ........

edited to add another memory... at the end of the linked article was a note about Nancy Hanks, Lincoln's mother. My college best friend is married to Mary Hanks... a direct descendant.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:14 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Not really concert oriented... Only two come to mind as being memorable, though I'm sure we've been to many over the years.

Most memorable... The first Newport Jazz Festival in 1954, when I had just graduated from High School, and it wasn't really like being there in the audience... ....
Newport 1954 had a great lineup - but I was just a baby-bump at the time:

Newport Jazz Festival | 1954 - 1963 Programs

Again, the list of others is stirring up more memories, I missed some big ones (and not so big ones) on my list:

Speaking of Newport, how could I have forgotten to list... Dave Brubeck (late 80's? Post Paul Desmond, he had his sons with, and he gave me and my wife an autograph at the bar and was very nice)!

Vasser Clements - awesome fiddle player, and I saw Doug Kershaw as well, about that time. Also Papa John Creech.

David Grisman (mandolin), and another mandolin master- Jethro Burns.

The Dillards.

Muddy Waters (how could I forget that, "I'm a M-A-N" just moved the place!) and about that time, Willie Dixon.

Leo Kottke, Tom Waits, Cephas and Wiggins, George Thorogood (just last year, I missed him by one day before he got famous, back in the 70's), Norman Blake. Folkie Bob Gibson, Kenny Rankin

Gary Burton (jazz vibraharp - had tickets to also see him with Chick Corea, but the show was cancelled ) Scarlett Rivera (violin, toured with Dylan).

I actually did see Blood Sweat and Tears at a local summer-fest type thing in the late 80's - it was kind of a small deal, so I figured it was the band in name only, but they had mostly original members (Lew Soloff and D-C-Thomas among them), and they were great. Steppenwolf was there too, but I had seen them in the 70's.

Memory is getting fuzzy at this point, did I see David Bromberg, or just planned/hoped to?

-ERD50
Old 03-01-2015, 10:47 PM   #58

Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon tour, March 1973, Madison, Wis.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:47 PM   #59

Quote:

OK, please don't be mad at me, music is subjective and all, but we were invited to go with some friends to see TSO some years back. Itas... an 'experience'. We kept rolling our eyes and tried hard to keep from LOL with the other couple we went with, while the TSO fan couple that invited us were total engrossed in the spectacle.

-ERD50
I agree that TSO can be rather dramatic but we like the rock Christmas music. We go because my youngest son loves Al Pitellli (formerly in Megadeath) and Paul O'Neill and he met them both at a concert when he was in High school. He (my son) travels 11 months out of the year and I only see him for about two weeks around Thanksgiving each year, when TSO comes to town. So, it's a family get together thing...
Old 03-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #60

Quote:
Speaking of Newport, how could I have forgotten to list... Dave Brubeck (late 80's? Post Paul Desmond, he had his sons with, and he gave me and my wife an autograph at the bar and was very nice)!
-ERD50
Ah yes... Almost forgot... Brubeck Concert at my College circa 1956 @ Winter Houseparty I think... A first introduction to a different kind of jazz that lives on in my car CD player... "Take Five" and "Blue Rondo a la Turk"... (do CD's wear out?)

He came to our fraternity after the concert, and played w'Paul Desmond using the piano in our party room basement. Very memorable... freestyle fun...

from a Brubeck interview...
Quote:
Can you describe the first time you came to Maine, and what it was like for you?

DB: Well, not counting Bowdoin College (I performed at a number of Maine colleges in the 1950s – I’ve even been up here when it was all snow and people had those little red flags on their fenders … you know, it was really a lot of snow, I remember) … not counting that, do you know Swan’s Island. One of my close friends lives there, Eric Kunzel, conductor of the Cincinnatti Symphony, and I used to go visit Eric on Swan’s. It was fun to go to Swan’s Island because the crab were so abundant that you could eat all you want and not feel like you were spending a lot of money. The people would give you crab and say, ”Here, take this.” Fishermen would come by once in a while. We like Monhegan Island, too. You know the Black Point Inn? We like to go there, too.
Thanks for bumping the memory!