Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What Countries Would Be Happy To Have Us As Permanent Guests?
Old 03-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
You Texans are going to have to get over this psychotic territorial obsession.

Either Brewer just did you a tremendous favor by discouraging the other 2000 posters on this board from moving to Texas with all their families & friends,

or,

you really love the state and can't help bragging about it to everyone.

We're gonna have to ask Ol' Rancher to pay you a little Welcome Wagon visit...
Hell, why do you think we only show the visitors the smokestacks and the overcrowded beaches (and Newark)? You think we want more competition for the good stuff?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2006, 02:34 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
You Texans are going to have to get over this psychotic territorial obsession.

Either Brewer just did you a tremendous favor by discouraging the other 2000 posters on this board from moving to Texas with all their families & friends,

or,

you really love the state and can't help bragging about it to everyone.
Nords, kindly re-read my post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
OK, mister New Joisey, I'm going to have to take you to task for that one. Absolutely untrue. Our third-worldiness is totally unreal.
You will note that my " psychotic territorial obsession" or my "bragging" consisted of merely pointing out the innacuracy in brewer's statement that Texas is "a real third world hell-hole".

I live here, you and brewer do not. So when I tell you it is an unreal third world hell-hole, I would think you would defer to someone with first hand experience.

I'm beginning to think CFB may be right about the long-term effect of spending months inside a metal penis...

Old 03-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I live here, you and brewer do not.* So when I tell you it is an unreal third world hell-hole, I would think you would defer to someone with first hand experience.
I the interest of never havong to do so in order to find out, I happily accept your assessment as a resident of TX. Would you please reclaim your idiot? Lost and found is at the White House.

We also like to show people how corrupt our politicians are here in NJ. I can finally say to my sister (who lives in RI) that our politicians are more corrupt than hers (Buddy Ciancey, etc.).

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I'm gonna have to stop drinking liquids when I read this board...

... or at least only drink liquids that don't burn going out of my nose.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Would you please reclaim your idiot? Lost and found is at the White House.
We didn't lose him, we helped elect him to Washington...and get him out of the state.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm beginning to think CFB may be right about the long-term effect of spending months inside a metal penis...
By the way, that whole thing was completely taken the wrong way and I didnt really see fit to correct it until now.

My point was intended to mean that spending decades surging through the oceans in a giant metal penis sort of gave one a compounded manliness expenditure allowance that helped one agree to have their balls snipped loose from ones weener.

Not that he was exposed to a lot of nuclear radiation, trapped gasses, improper line voltages and so forth.

Not that theres anything wrong with THAT either...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:07 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Nords, kindly re-read my post:

ReWahoo: *Agree with you 100% on your statement, and also agree that Nords was mis-interpreting your point.

Mr. Nords is, without a doubt, one of the most helpful and thourough posters on this forum.

But I also notice, on occassions, that when given the opportunity to be witty, or right, he chooses the former. *In this case, he chose the wrong one.

Of course, I'm handicapped by the fact that my golf course is currently underwater, and have plenty of time to actually read posts, and interpret their meanings.

Looking forward to clear weather, and a break from "umpire" duties.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:02 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I live here, you and brewer do not.* So when I tell you it is an unreal third world hell-hole, I would think you would defer to someone with first hand experience.
Oh boy, I hate to comment, but here it comes.

Yes, I "lived" in Texas.* Actually, I was stationed at (no longer there) Reese AFB in Lubbock (home of tornados, dust storms, heat, cold, etc <all in the same 24 hr period>)

I volunteered to go to Turkey (the country, not the bird* 8).* As you can see by my signature notes, I would up "somewhere else"*

As for Texas, we had a saying (and please, don't take offense, whatever your orgin):

"The definition of a Texan...* *
* * is a Mexican that didn't make it to Oklahoma* "

"Been there - done that...* "

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a
As for Texas, we had a saying (and please, don't take offense, whatever your orgin):

"The definition of a Texan...
is a Mexican that didn't make it to Oklahoma "
Why on earth would anyone be offended by such a sweet, innocuous, racial sentiment like that?

Old 03-08-2006, 05:35 PM   #30

Still interested if anyone wants to talk about foreign countries that are not apart of the US that would have me as their guest.
I've been to NJ and Texas and the OK state and even though they deserve to be recognized as their own countries/planets - I don't want to go there if you know what I mean.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Still interested if anyone wants to talk about foreign countries that are not apart of the US that would have me as their guest.
I've been to NJ and Texas and even though they deserve to be recognized as their own countries/planets - I don't want to go there if you know what I mean.*
Dan: That's just plain rude. We're bull----ing here.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Dan: That's just plain rude. We're bull----ing here.
Sorry Jar,
I dearly love the Texan people. They deserve to have their own country and I predict they someday will.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
about us just living there and would be happy to have us as permanent guests?*
I'm not sure any country permits permanant guests.
Many will allow us to acquire residency if we meet the financial and other requirements. This requires income, cash and legal work.

As stated Panama will give residency if you can prove a pension of $600 a month or so. Other countries are more. But suppose you got a buyout and don't have a pension. Then you need to come up with cash.
Panama needs you to put $200,000 in one of their banks to apply for residency. Costa Rica $60,000.

I believe some countries may only require the legal work for residency since they figure we will spend our US dollars in their country anyway.

But as far a being a guest, I don't think many will allow it for more than 90 days or so.
GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:28 PM   #34
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

I don't know the immigration rules, as that takes the kind of research that someone would only do if you had a personal interest in immigrating.

But I have known several ERs who moved to Thailand, one who moved to Bali, and one who moved to Switzerland (and RVed around Europe about half time), and have corresponded to ERs who moved to Mexico, Costa Rica, and other places already mentioned in earlier messages.

The community library in our residential "camp" in Saudi carried a newsletter called International Living, that seemed to focus on such issues -- their website is http://www.internationalliving.com/ (and I suspect that if you get any of their info, you'll get a new friend in the international real estate business as a bonus).

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I the interest of never having to do so in order to find out, I happily accept your assessment as a resident of TX.* Would you please reclaim your idiot?* Lost and found is at the White House.
ROFLOL!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:49 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny
My point was intended to mean that spending decades surging through the oceans in a giant metal penis sort of gave one a compounded manliness expenditure allowance that helped one agree to have their balls snipped loose from ones weener.

Not that he was exposed to a lot of nuclear radiation, trapped gasses, improper line voltages and so forth.
Boy, I'm gonna sleep good tonight.* Although I was probably personally responsible for creating half of that stuff under the guise of "training".* Yes, TH, I'm referring to the second sentence, not the first!

I wonder what the statute of limitations is on those VA disability claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
But I also notice, on occassions, that when given the opportunity to be witty, or right, he chooses the former. In this case, he chose the wrong one.
If going for the punchline is wrong, I don' wanna be right...

But I can see that I should quit while I'm behind!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #37

I read that if you have a parent or grandparent who was born in Ireland then you are an Irish citizen and the door is open to you.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:51 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I, too, have lived, loved and worked in Baja Oklahoma (AKA Tejas to y'all damyankees). I remember it best for the record-winning cockroaches, air-conditioning bills bigger than my mortgage, the Westheimer Festival, life-threatening trips on the 610 loop, NASA and the pool in my back yard. Did you know you can sweat in a pool? I remember removing frogs and a snake--very dead, I am happy to say-- from the filter basket from time to time.

Oh, yes. Countries that would be happy to have us. Panama is your best bet. With regard to Belize, the best way to have a million dollars in Belize is to come in with two million.

You want to speak English there? Someone wrote here very recently about Gozo in Malta. It looked pretty good to me, except it is cheaper to live in Panama.

Later.

El Gitano
Old 03-09-2006, 03:15 AM   #39
Confused about dryer sheets

Have a look at the Malaysia My Second Home program http://mm2h.motour.gov.my/

Simple application; provisional approval within 30 days; requires initial US$75,000 placed on fixed deposit for 12 months in a bank in Malaysia; gives 10 year social visit visa ie cannot work but can stay as long as you like. Climate, costs, food similar to Thailand but big advantage is that you can manage and run your life (ie Govt forms, utilities, banking, renting, buying) yourself entirely with spoken and written English.
krane is offline   Reply With Quote