Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What country is this "Berkley" in?
Old 01-31-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
What country is this "Berkley" in?

Any Marines care to comment on this community activity?

Quote:
In addition, the council voted to explore enforcing its law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation against the Marines because of the military's don't ask, don't tell policy. And it officially encouraged the women's peace group Code Pink to impede the work of the Marines in the city by protesting in front of the station.

In a separate item, the council voted 8-1 to give Code Pink a designated parking space in front of the recruiting station once a week for six months and a free sound permit for protesting once a week from noon to 4 p.m.
http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8120433?source=rss

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is one of those times I cannot put a positive spin on a story.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

My great alma mater (the Berkeley of the East coast) has a standing ban against "on-campus recruiting"* for certain branches of the military due to the university's non-discrimination policy for on-campus recruiters. I recall there was some sort of threat that the fed govt would withhold education funding if the university continued to refuse the military access to on campus recruiting.

* A formal arrangement where private firms and government agencies can receive resumes from students and conduct interviews on campus.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:45 PM   #4

Is there any way we can just push them off into the ocean?
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Certainly nothing in more unAmerican than disagreeing with the government.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
True, however Id would prefer if people took it up with the politicians and not the people who put their asses on the line for its citizens.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
True, however Id would prefer if people took it up with the politicians and not the people who put their asses on the line for its citizens.
This may come as a huge shock, but there arre some Merkins that view the military as a self-perpetuating oppressive force in our society. They don't hate the soldiers, they despise the organization.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

It's fine to disagree with the government. But, it's a bit shameful to denigrate Marines knowing that those same Marines will lay down their lives to protect you.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:29 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
They don't hate the soldiers, they despise the organization.
Although I wouldn't claim to necessarily agree with the second half of this statement today, I can't say I didn't feel exactly the same way during the last couple of years I served.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:49 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Are ex-Navy allowed to comment, or only Marines?
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
This may come as a huge shock, but there arre some Merkins that view the military as a self-perpetuating oppressive force in our society. They don't hate the soldiers, they despise the organization.
Nope no shock. I get it. I would just prefer if people would put their energy towards the elected officials.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
Administrator

I have been opposed to the policy from the very beginning. The arguments for keeping gays and lesbians out of the military are specious and the policy is morally bankrupt. I spent 5 years on active duty in the Navy and I can tell you that there was never a single instance where anyone said "Lieutenant, before we do what you say, we're going to have to ask you a few questions about your personal life". The whole argument that it is bad for unit morale because some people in the military are homophobic is akin to letting the inmates run the asylum. The proper response is to tell them to shut up and do as they are ordered. Those homophobes who will not comply should be separated from the service. I found it disgusting to watch President Clinton cave in to the mouth-breathing knuckle draggers of the Right on this point.

That said, harassing individual Marines is not going to change the policy. They are simply trying to do their job. I agree with others who say that Congress is the proper target for these actions.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:12 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't know if it's still true, but at one time the Berkeley city council voted to stop reciting the pledge of allegiance at city council meetings. To make up for it, the city council in Albany, the town immediately north of Berkeley, voted to recite the pledge of allegiance twice during their council meetings.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:32 PM   #14

What I like about the USA is that it's one of the few countries where the law is respected as being more powerful even than the military. Berkeley shows up here as one of the last strongholds of rule of law. That's my kinda place!
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:14 PM   #15

Good ol' Berkeley!

It IS different than the rest of the country.

The protests. Telegraph Ave. People's park. Tie-dyed everything. Street people everywhere. (I was told not to give them money because, "It just prolongs the time until the revolution.")

Middle americans from fly-over country are missing something by not being exposed to Berkeley unless perhaps they are from Madison or Ann Arbor.

About the only place around where I could be considered a right winger.

Being a grad student there was great! I miss it! Kind of wish I was back there sometimes!

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:43 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Now now before you all jump up and down about the Berkeley City Council last crazy stunt.

I must say the Berkeley City council has done some useful things.

For instance when I went to school there the BCC passed a resolution which required any police officer who issued a marijuana citation to appear before the city council and explain why they were wasting tax payer money issued said citation. Needless to say the number of marijuana arrests was tiny. Now law an order types may find this to be a mockery of our drug laws but from the perspective of college student I loved it. The advisor for our frat was Berkeley PD officer who used to have bong hit with us while in uniform.

For any current or former members of the military who are understandable offended, it is the peoples Republic of Berkeley... don't give it a second thought.

Personally, I find the BCC to be a terrifically useful organization. Anytime I found myself agreeing with them, I assume I am either wrong or going crazy.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 PM   #17

Humm........ Ninety years old and still p!$$ing and moaning about the government. Must not be able to ER in Berkeley.

Maybe they spent all their money on Mary Jane.
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:29 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I didn't realize that stateside Marines were so delicate that they would get the vapors from little old ladies quietly protesting certain policies.

Shouldn't they be proud of defending The Bill of Rights?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:09 PM   #19

Quote:
I didn't realize that stateside Marines were so delicate that they would get the vapors from little old ladies quietly protesting certain policies.

Shouldn't they be proud of defending The Bill of Rights?
The Marines didnt comment.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:57 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

My initial thought on reading the news summary was "Yea, that's Berkeley."

My thought on reading the "can we just push them into the ocean" comment here was "yea, that's politics."

And my thought on the comment that "it's a shame" they're attacking the Marines, who are "putting their lives on the line" is "Yea, 160,000 armed men can't defend themselves from a bunch of women and transvestites in pink?"

People seem to have forgotten that any organization as large as the Marines is, by definition, in politics. On one side, the President on down have no druthers whatsoever about trotting out in front of the cameras to make a political campaign speech to the people through the Marines, who are obligated to look respectful and accepting of the message. On the other side you have people like Code Pink, making statements to the country about the political powers that be by campaigning for their own causes using the Marines as a backdrop.

The only difference here is that one message is delivered by those who make the rules and have the power to (mostly) control the messages we hear, the other message is delivered by those who don't make the rules, but want to get their own message out.

It's all fair. Always remember the adage All's fair in love, war . . . and politics.
Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote