What did you accomplish in 2010?

Maintained my weight +-5 lbs.
Revived an interest in photography and took some classes on that subject.
Became somewhat proficient at motorcycle riding without injury.
Kept DW happy. She still thinks marrying me was a good decision.

(1) My wife and I started maxing out our Roth IRA(s)

(2) Fully funded emergency fund

(3) Less debt than we had at the beginning of the year

Year 2 of Retirement:

Lost 12 pounds
Walked Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park
Walked the wild flower fields of Rainier National Park
Travelled to Israel and Jordan
Upgraded the kitchen (countertop and appliances)
Didn't use an alarm clock, but discovered the dog has her own alarm system which generally meshes with mine (except for the early to bed alarm)
Goofed Off
Did Nothing
Loved it!

-- Rita

In 2010 I increased the balance of my little IRA play money account from $11,000 to $51,000 mostly by swing trading a mix of large caps (no, not netflix, apple or google). My wife is bugging me about it now though and crimping my trading style because she thinks it is no longer play money. She was fine to let me play 8 years ago when I rolled over my past employer 401K balance ($1700) into this IRA so I don't know why she gives me grief now :blush:

Built a big deck
Watched my youngest daughter graduate from college
Saw my oldest daughter get engaged
Traveled to NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, New Orleans, Orlando, Toronto and Mexico
Gained 10 lbs
Finally started recording my first CD
Dreamed about retiring

Growing up it was our toothless canary that taught me how to succeed.

I just got this one, Alan. I was ready to google "toothless canary" and British to see what the heck this meant. So that's my accomplishment for this year :)

I just got this one, Alan. I was ready to google "toothless canary" and British to see what the heck this meant. So that's my accomplishment for this year :)

If at first you don't suck seed, then try, try again...:D

CJ, your description of your life sounds totally Type B. Are you sure you are observing accurately?

Ha
I am so ashamed: got competitive in art history class, actually crammed for the final so as to get a high A instead of mid A. And the list goes on. ;)

- Repaired our portfolio by going back to work. (Market performance helped!)
- Supported DW by doing most of the housework while she did most of the work.
- Maintained & nourished my friendships.
- Tackled some projects around the house
- De-cluttered & gave a lot of stuff away.
- Stayed healthy and fit.
- Retired Early - again!

My 2010 resolution was "Happiness is the road" and I tried to be true to it.

This thread reminds me of my w*rking days. Somewhere around this time of year we would be [-]commanded[/-] [-]told[/-] encouraged to share our accomplishments with management and list our [-]exaggerated hopes[/-] goals for the coming year.

I have been retired since 2007. In 2010 I did all the things I listed as goals in my 2009 report. That was nothing, I no longer have goals and I don't accomplish anything. I don't have to. That being said, I did the following things because I felt like it:
1) Extensive reno's on DD's new house.
2) Took in a [-]BJ (I'll give you guy one more chance for witty comments)[/-] Barrett Jackson auction
3) Reno's on DS & DIL's new house.
4) [-]Had my camera and computer stolen in Mexico.[/-] Bought a new computer and digital camera.
5) Buried a good friend 10 years younger than me.
6) Continue to visit a good friend (also 10 years younger than me) in palliative care.
7) Vented about how unfair life is.

This thread reminds me of my w*rking days. Somewhere around this time of year we would be [-]commanded[/-] [-]told[/-] encouraged to share our accomplishments with management and list our [-]exaggerated hopes[/-] goals for the coming year. .........

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I recall a fellow cow*rker putting among his accomplishments "company stock prices have continued to rise due to my efforts" - we being in the trenches engineers. :LOL:

In 2010 I:

- Passed my SPHR certification exam
- Finished grad school (MSHRM)
- [-]Finagled[/-] Got recalled to active duty here at home (NJ)! (= net pay increase)
- Maxed out TSP/Def Comp contributions for 3rd consecutive year
- Moved in with DBF
- Hit 6 figures in retirement accounts!!!
- Met Ha in person during our awesome vacation in the Pacific Northwest (great guy!!)

Been a good year!

In 2010 I:

- Passed my SPHR certification exam
- Finished grad school (MSHRM)
- [-]Finagled[/-] Got recalled to active duty here at home (NJ)! (= net pay increase)
- Maxed out TSP/Def Comp contributions for 3rd consecutive year
- Moved in with DBF
- Hit 6 figures in retirement accounts!!!
- Met Ha in person during our awesome vacation in the Pacific Northwest (great guy!!)

Been a good year!

So you met Ha, huh? I'd love to hear more about that!

- One year closer to ER
- Got my bike fixed (but didn't really use it much)
- Built a high end PC
- Major progress on a project that I want to develop after ER
- Learned a lot about investing
- Finally found some furniture I spent years looking for
- Met great people

- I saw my first-born graduating from the state U and landind a decent job. We threw a nice graduation party for her at a local restaurant for relatives and friends. I then helped her move out to her own apartment to start her own adult life.

- Bought a used RV and a "toad". Spent quite a bit of effort to install the towing package and to prep the motor home. I was proud to save a couple of $K worth of labor.

- Went on a month-long trip to visit several places that I always wanted to see.

- Survived my first jury duty, a criminal case that lasted 5 weeks. Interesting life experience, but I hope to be able to convince future judges that the above was enough for my life time.

- Saw my portfolio surpassing its old high on Oct 2007.

Back
Top Bottom