Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #321
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with cheese, sausage patty, bagel with Philly cream cheese, milk, and coffee...in our Paducah hotel.

Lunch: Big Mac, fries, and sweet tea at a Pilot Travel Center.

Dinner: We went to Ruby Tuesday's and I had Chicken & Mushroom Pasta and their glorious salad bar!!! Washed down with raspberry iced tea....made with fresh raspberries complete with the seeds!!!

And today:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with cheese, sausage patty, blueberry muffin, milk, and coffee...in our Marietta hotel.

No Lunch

Dinner: Going to Cracker Barrel for some 'down home' something or 'nother.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #322
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday:

breakfast: cup of tea, buttered bread
lunch: Schlotzsky's original sandwich
dinner: salad (greens, grilled bison, roasted potatoes, hard-boiled egg) with vinaigrette dressing

Today:
breakfast: cup of tea
lunch: chicken sandwich (mustard, roasted chicken, cheddar, greens)
dinner: roasted chicken, pasta, and green salad with vinaigrette dressing

Old 02-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #323
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Breakfast: bacon mushroom cheese omelet, cup of tea
Lunch: some fresh pineapple
Supper: large bowl of noodle/vegetable/fish soup
Old 02-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #324

Breakfast: 1 boiled egg, coffee

Lunch: 1 hamburger patty, salad + 3 oz. roast turkey/a little cheese, a little ranch dressing (low cal) olive oil & vinegar.

Supper: TBD

Over the weekend, I discovered, after not checking my blood sugar level for awhile, that it was quite elevated. Time to get real.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #325
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Over the weekend, I discovered, after not checking my blood sugar level for awhile, that it was quite elevated. Time to get real.
Hang in there Marty...feel positive about taking control.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #326

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, a sausage patty, a few strips of bacon, biscuit with strawberry jam, fruit cocktail, o.j., milk, and coffee.

Lunch: A fried seafood platter that included a large fish fillet, scallops, shrimps, hushpuppies, slaw, and raspberry ice tea.

Dinner: a Mickey D's Double Quarter Piunder with cheese, fries, and a Shamrock Shake.

Snacks: Banana, orange, and pecans.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #327
Give me a forum ...

breakfast...cup of coffee
lunch.........glass of V-8
dinner........tuna fish sandwich and a few potato chips

Some days I'm not very hungry at all.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #328
Moderator Emeritus

Breakfast: nothing
Lunch: chicken sandwich (whole wheat bread, mustard, grilled chicken, cheddar, greens)
Dinner: green lentil stew with roasted chicken and a glass of St. Emilion 2004 to celebrate an important milestone.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #329
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Around here "sea trout" is the common name for kelp greenlings. Is that what you caught, or something else?
I caught a couple of spotted seatrout......known locally here on the Texas Gulf Coast as speckled trout, or "specks". Here is more information on them: Cynoscion nebulosus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are one of the two fish species that I am catching often down here - the other one being redfish (red drum). Both are good eating. The locals generally prefer to catch and eat seatrout, but the redfish are a lot more fun to catch (for me anyway), as they are a much stronger fish.

I ended up making fish cakes out of the seatrout I caught yesterday......they were great. Here is the recipe I used:

Charleston Sea Trout Cakes
1 lb sea trout fillets, cooked and diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
½ red pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 small red potatoes, cooked and diced
1 egg, beaten
1 cup bread crumbs
½ teaspoon seafood seasoning
dash Worcestershire sauce
dash hot sauce
olive oil
Mix all ingredients except oil, and blend well. Form into cakes. Heat olive oil on the stove and sauté cakes lightly on both sides. Don't overcook, serve as soon as cakes are golden brown. Serves 4.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #330
Full time employment: Posting here.

Breakfast: granola and OJ
Lunch: vegetable lo mein
Dinner: tofu and collard green chowder and quinoa
Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #331
Give me a forum ...

Breakfast: decaf coffee with lots of 2% milk and a little sugar, daily dose of ElderTang
Lunch: A nice huge bowl of leftover NE clam chowder with a dozen Ritz crackers
Dinner: 3 glasses of Sangria, 4 squares of dark chocolate and 2 hot dogs (no bread or cheese)
Old 02-28-2012, 06:35 AM   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, a sausage patty, a few strips of bacon, biscuit with strawberry jam, fruit cocktail, o.j., milk, and coffee.

Lunch: A fried seafood platter that included a large fish fillet, scallops, shrimps, hushpuppies, slaw, and raspberry ice tea.

Dinner: a Mickey D's Double Quarter Piunder with cheese, fries, and a Shamrock Shake.

Snacks: Banana, orange, and pecans.

Damn Goonie....you & I might be relatives..lol! I ate just like you, until now...

My fasting blood sugar hitting 200 has scared the #@%*% out of me. I have other symptoms, but have been ignoring them. Your post above has me salivating, though!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Damn Goonie....you & I might be relatives..lol! I ate just like you, until now...

My fasting blood sugar hitting 200 has scared the #@%*% out of me. I have other symptoms, but have been ignoring them. Your post above has me salivating, though!
Yesterday was a little out of my norm...not a lot, but some. My breakfasts are usually about the same...almost always eggs of some sort, and only ocassionally bacon,sausage, or ham. When I'm home it's usually an omelet with spinach, jalapeño pepper, and mushrooms, or a toasted bagel with cream cheese. But traveling disrupts the norm somewhat.

Also normally lunch is rather light or nonexistent...fruit, nuts, some other light snacks, and maybe a hotdog or lunch meat sandwich. For snacking between meals and in the late evening, I eat a LOT of fresh fruit & veggies, and nuts, Our main meal is almost always in the evening, and normally only deep-fried one night per week. The norm is most often chicken, fish, or fairly lean meat, veggies, and a BIG salad with v&o or vinaigrette. We'll be having most of the rest of our meals either grilled or broiled for the rest of trip here in FL, and in Nashville on the way back home.

Thus far, just sgy of 55, I have no problems with my blood sugar, and my cholesterol & triglycerides are in acceptable range. B/P is normally between 110/60 and 120/70. Though I could easily stand to lose some weight, my Doc says it's nothing to be overly concerned about.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #334

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, coffee

Lunch: Salad (lettuce, carrots, radish, cabbage, cheddar cheese, 3 oz. turkey breast, lo-fat ranch, olive oil & vinegar), one plum, water.

Supper: TBD

Old 02-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Yesterday was a little out of my norm...not a lot, but some. My breakfasts are usually about the same...almost always eggs of some sort, and only ocassionally bacon,sausage, or ham. When I'm home it's usually an omelet with spinach, jalapeño pepper, and mushrooms, or a toasted bagel with cream cheese. But traveling disrupts the norm somewhat.

Also normally lunch is rather light or nonexistent...fruit, nuts, some other light snacks, and maybe a hotdog or lunch meat sandwich. For snacking between meals and in the late evening, I eat a LOT of fresh fruit & veggies, and nuts, Our main meal is almost always in the evening, and normally only deep-fried one night per week. The norm is most often chicken, fish, or fairly lean meat, veggies, and a BIG salad with v&o or vinaigrette. We'll be having most of the rest of our meals either grilled or broiled for the rest of trip here in FL, and in Nashville on the way back home.

Thus far, just sgy of 55, I have no problems with my blood sugar, and my cholesterol & triglycerides are in acceptable range. B/P is normally between 110/60 and 120/70. Though I could easily stand to lose some weight, my Doc says it's nothing to be overly concerned about.

Wow! While we do have similar taste in foods, we apparently don't share any genetics... I take Benicar for my BP, to keep it in the range you indicated above. Not a big dosage, I believe it's 20 mg. My blood sugar and my BP, as well as my cholesterol will hopefully at least be reduced if I can shake about 50 lbs. I am 54 yrs old.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #336

A couple years ago I cut down drastically on my intake of eggs, cheese, and that sort of thing for about a year or so...figured I'd 'live healthy'. Then one day I decided the heck with it, and went back to my eggs and cheese and what-not.

Comparing blood work results from before cutting back, those during the year I cut back, and those after going back to eggs, etc, my Doc and I found that my LDL was lower & HDL higher WITH eggs in my diet! Which was really good news to me, because I LOVE eggs!!!

BTW, I'm also 54, and a 50# weight loss would fit me pretty good too....but then all my clothes would be baggy!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #337

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, sausage patty, homemade banana-walnut muffin, fresh fruit cocktail, milk, and coffee.

Lunch: went to a smallish hole in the wall joint next to a local marina, and had a nice tossed salad with bleucheese dressing, 'Marie's Paella'....scallops, shrimps, clams, oysters, and spicy sausage, with a homemade marinara sauce, served over a bed of yellow rice, and a couple glasses of iced tea.....allwhile sitting at an outside table on the dock! NICE!!!

Dinner: Bagel with Philly cream cheese, a chocolate pudding cup, and a small glass of milk.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #338

Breakfast: Oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon and coffee.

Lunch: Apple and mixed nuts and water

Dinner: Probably a meatloaf sandwich on toast and a glass of milk. (Same as last night) I love meatloaf and don't make it that often, but always make 2 when I do.

I think that I would faint from hunger, if I ate like some people on here and I would also balloon up if I ate as much as other people do.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #339

Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs, a couple of small pancakes with just a light drizzle of syrup, a small bowl of fresh fruit cocktail, a glass of milk, and a cup of coffee.

Lunch: An orange, a handful of nuts, and an all-beef hotdog.

Dinner: Two large pieces of grilled fresh swordfish, slaw, and fries.

My snack later will be ALDI's version of Oreo cookies and a glass of milk! :0
Old 03-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #340

Breakfast: berries/Greek yogurt, Fiber One sprinkles, walnuts and coffee

Lunch: arugula salad w/orange juice&olive oil dressing, orange slices with two sunny side up eggs on top

Dinner: 6" Subway Club sandwich w/lotsa veggies and Sun Chips