Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Onglet de boeuf, sauce ŕ la bičre
Gratin de chou-fleur
Flan de potiron
Galettes de pomme de terre

That was lunch in the cafeteria.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

BigNick, that is just SO not fair

Sounds scrumptious

Old 02-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A friend of mine gave me some deer meat sausage that included ground Jalapeno and cheese. Sounds weird but actually pretty good. I fried some of it yesterday and had it with a sweet potato, fried okra and black eyed peas. Didn't tell my mom she was eating deer sausage until afterward. She wasn't very pleased with the news.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
BigNick, that is just SO not fair

Sounds scrumptious
I'm very lucky. Our cafeteria is dire, but we have a sort-of related organisation a few hundred feet away by covered walkway who have the fabulous place where I now go pretty much every day. Main dishes run €5.30-€7.30 and the staff take great pride in everything they do.

If I ever ran a catering establishment (ha), I would want it to be a cafeteria. Not a work one - a public restaurant, but cafeteria-style. For me there would be something immensely satisfying about serving good food cheaply in a no-frills atmosphere.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
I'm very lucky. Our cafeteria is dire, but we have a sort-of related organisation a few hundred feet away by covered walkway who have the fabulous place where I now go pretty much every day. Main dishes run €5.30-€7.30 and the staff take great pride in everything they do.

If I ever ran a catering establishment (ha), I would want it to be a cafeteria. Not a work one - a public restaurant, but cafeteria-style. For me there would be something immensely satisfying about serving good food cheaply in a no-frills atmosphere.
There were some pretty nice cafeterias in teh US- I think Morrison's lasted the longest. I believe they are all gone now. The lunch market moved down to fast food, and for "dining" up to nice but expensive restaurants which still might be quite ordinary eating experiences, plus all the middle brow ethnic restaurants which are usually at least tolerable and fairly cheap.

Ha
Old 02-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

For breakfast: homemade cereal mix (rolled oats, raisins and sunflower seeds) with some milk and a glass of apple juice.

For lunch: sandwich with home-roasted chicken, baby spinach, brie and red current jelly.

Dinner: I am thinking pork tenderloin braised in tomato sauce (white wine, tomato paste, mushrooms, pearl onions, and green olives) served over some steamed potatoes. Homemade bread and some baby spinach on the side.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

sardines with LA hotsauce and crackers for lunch... love 'em.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

So far today...

Cheerios, banana, blueberries, "whole" milk for breakfast; chef salad with blue cheese dressing for lunch; orange and some macadamia nuts for snack; probably hotdogs and corn chips for dinner.

Oh, and a shiteload of coffee, with heavy cream!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

coffee (2 large cups), chesse and crackers, grapes, Diet Pepsi (one can), grapefruit, salami and cheese sandwich, orange, greek yogurt, cup of fruit, and pickles. I still need to look at dinner, but hoping to talk DW into going out. Seems kind of healthy.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
So far, a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. For lunch I'm planning to have a baked chicken breast and a salad. Don't know yet about dinner.

Ok, so my lunch plans changed... My one & only co-worker has been out for the entire month of February following back surgery. He's medically retired from the Army, after having a hole blown in his back by an IED in Iraq. Purple Heart & all, a real wounded warrior. Anyhow, today's his first day back at work, and since I've been doing all his work plus mine for the past month, he insisted on buying my lunch. So...I had babyback ribs, beans, potato salad & bread. Guess I'll start the diet tomorrow...
Old 02-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #31
Administrator

So far today...

Breakfast: Two cups coffee instead of one, with fresh creamer. I may never sleep again.

Lunch: Half of a grilled chicken sandwich made with fresh French bread and Creole tomatos, and half of a small order of fries, after an hour working out at the gym

Dinner: Haven't decided yet, but it will be light.

If I don't lose another pound pretty soon I'll be disappointed.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #32

Ms G. and I had phony ham(it's a veggie thing) with phony cheese(soy), muffaletta sauce(olive salad), on organic, seeds and nuts whole wheat bread.

Washed it down with an organic lemonade sippy cup, and finished with an organic Gala apple.

In my favorite location, the parking lot in our truck at the Wal-Mart in Douglas AZ.

Hey, how do you think I was able to retire at age 54

The veggie friendly Indian restaurant is closed on Mondays, and the Chinese buffet is just that. A Chinese buffet.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Got to thank you Al. DS/DDL and the grandkid were coming over for dinner so I decided to give your recipe a try. I make Coq au Vin occasionally but always with red wine. The mixture of Reisling, leeks, dill and bacon were a hit. And I used a big package of boneless, skinless thighs so I have plenty for a the recommended pasta leftover dish later in the week.

Pass on my thanks to Lena.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Instead of Grouper I made Chicken Marsala for dinner with green beans and brown rice . I got the recipe from a friend that went to the culinary institute . Simple but great .
Old 02-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #35

Summer has arrived at our house! This must be the day because DW surprised me tonight with grilled chicken salad. It was great! Time to change our menus for the next eight months. She was telling me that the local veggie stand doesn't have any tomatoes from here in Florida. They told her that all the tomatoe plants died because of the cold and everything is coming from Mexico. All around our area the fields are being planted with tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, etc. Strawberries are in abundance. Have to wait a little longer for locally grown veggies.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Eggplant with ground lamb.

Ha
Old 02-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #37

Vacation...eating out daily. I can't run enough miles to keep the weight in check let alone on the decline. Yesterday was Bucca di Beppo, lasagna for dinner, banana and pineapple for breakfast.

This morning was a Mickey D McGriddle. Tonight it's going to be Haleiwa Joe's. Meeting DD's future in-laws there for the first time. They sound like great people, but I'm nervous...

R
Old 02-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #38

2 cinnamon bagels w/cream cheese and coffee for breakfast, homemade egg salad w/homemade mayo for lunch. Panda Express 2 orders orange chicken and noodles and soda for snack (DW's fault), leftover homemade pot roast and kool aid for dinner.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #39

Breakfast: Leftover sausage apple puff pancake
Lunch: Soup, corn, yogurt, apple
Dinner: A few grilled pork chops and some rice (first time grilling since November)
Old 03-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #40

Homemade fajitas with low carb tortillas