Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #381
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Goulash sounds yummy. You should try spatzel. It takes 5 minutes to make the dough and you push the dough through a collander into boiling water so takes no special equipment.

There are several great recipes on the Internet.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #382
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have done quite a bit of cooking, but have never kneaded any dough or nor done any baking either. I do not know why. Maybe I cannot see myself in an apron, with a rolling pin in hand. Perhaps I can talk my wife into that.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #383
Give me a forum ...

Breakfast: coffee with milk, muesli with fresh blueberries
Late lunch: grilled peppercorn steak with herbed soft cheese on top, steamed carrot, baby potatoes and asparagus, and a glass of local Syrah.
Delicious and nutritious!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #384
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have done quite a bit of cooking, but have never kneaded any dough or nor done any baking either. I do not know why. Maybe I cannot see myself in an apron, with a rolling pin in hand. Perhaps I can talk my wife into that.
You need to spend some time in New Orleans, where being a baker (or chef) is considered to be the most masculine of activities and if done successfully, also gives one an entree to the highest social and political circles...

― B. Lee

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #385
Give me a forum ...

Is Emeril Lagasse accepting any apprentice?

Wait a minute... What are you doin'? Talkin' me into goin' to work again? No way!

Besides, Emeril would start me out as a dishwasher first!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #386
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is Chik-Fil-A still open? Any food left?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #387

There is no kneading and no baking. You stir together about 5 ingredients I'm sure you already have in your pantry. Pour very thick dough into a collander and push the dough through the collander holes into boiling salted water. Easy peasy and oh so yummy with wiener schnitzel or goulash.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #388
Give me a forum ...

Yes, thanks!

I went on the Web and found a video, and it looked indeed easy. They made the mixture a bit runny so that it was easy to put through the colander, which I need to get.

About mixing, I forgot that last Xmas I bought my wife a fancy KitchenAid 6-qt mixer, in racy red color as she requested. Why was I thinking I had to do anything by hand? I am getting really senile. Thanks again.

Just had the goulash which I made following Wolfgang Puck's recipe, but with a lot more tomato and no sugar. It tasted good, but the meat should be more tender because I did not simmer long enough. The left-over will taste better tomorrow after it gets cooked some more.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #389

Had breakfast for dinner. 3 eggs half a bagel and 4 breakfast sausage. Along with 6 shots of tequila.

Well most of that is true.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #390

DW and I were driving past a Chik-Fil-A and decided to drop in. The place was really busy and there was a lot of talk going on about the so-called boycott. Granted, it was about lunch time and the crowd in there looked like people with whom I would not want to pick a fight. I think tomorrow is a "kiss in". Do I have that right? I wouldn't want to be part of the kissing crowd and face what I saw today as customers. Just another way to stir the pot. I'm sure the guys I saw today will be back tomorrow.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #391

1 cup Fage Greek yogurt with handful of raspberries
2 eggs fried in a spray of Pam
3 oz. turkey burger with dijon mustard
2 chicken and veggie enchiladas with really great hot salsa

I'm doing the low-carb thing; this is a pretty typical day.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #392
Recycles dryer sheets

So far nothing, but water and coffee. I'll eat later.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #393
Recycles dryer sheets

2 eggs bacon, bagel
Salad for lunch with grilled chicken
for dinner
Old 08-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have a pot of goulash simmering for dinner tonight. I roasted, then ground caraway seeds to add to the pot. Earlier, wife got a package of frozen beef from the freezer, and it turned out to be some beef shank. Just perfect for goulash, I said.

Some people said real goulash should not have tomato, but how can that be? Tomato makes everything better. Well, not quite everything, but I surely like goulash with it than without. I will be serving this with noodles. Goulash can be eaten with spätzle, but I have never bothered to learn to make it.

I was sipping some red wine while stirring the pot. Life is so good, it's hard to believe. Oh, I just remember that I forgot to add some balsamic vinegar to the pot. Must do that now, before I forget again. Getting senile, ya know?
Real goulash requires a lot of paprika. Got any?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #395
Give me a forum ...

Are you accusing me of making faux goulash, sir? Of course I did use lots of paprika.

I have been following Wolfgang Puck's recipe for years. As noted earlier, I cut out the sugar and use a lot more tomato. Would a real Hungarian spit out my goulash and say "hibás!" I would not know, but I like my goulash this way.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #396
Give me a forum ...

Just made a codfish curry. Really good; I ate almost the full pound of cod. Also, I am always looking for a good way to prepare frozen fish and shellfish. Very simple too, onions, garlic, and plenty of mild curry powder from Pennzy's, and 1/3 as much hot curry powder.

Ha
Old 08-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #397
Give me a forum ...

Bangers with streamed potato and onions.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #398
Give me a forum ...

I just marinated a rack of lamb with olive oil, rosemary, and thyme. Will put it in the oven in a few hours. Wife bought this for me, yet she does not like lamb, so I will have to eat this all by myself. Oh my! Life can be tough, can't it?

PS. So, I just had dinner. The lamb rack was tender and mild in flavor. Still, I could not eat the entire rack and had to save half for tomorrow. When they give you just a few chops in a restaurant, it tastes good because you do not have enough, but the whole rack, man, it's too much.

I guess I am not much of a lamb eater. Could have easily eaten the same amount of beef, but cannot do the same amount of lamb.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
. Very simple too, onions, garlic, and plenty of mild curry powder from Pennzy's, and 1/3 as much hot curry powder.
+1 for Penzeys. Family owned company and they travel the world for the best spices. FIL introduced me to them after they opened a store in Houston 10+ years ago. They have greatly expanded and also sell everything by mail order.
Penzeys Spices. Over 250 Spices, Herbs and Seasonings.

I went to the Austin store last week to stock up - their herbs and spices in bags are a fraction of the cost of inferior supermarket products. I keep them in a dark pantry and move just enough into glass jars for day-to-day cooking.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #400
Give me a forum ...

Yo....ever heard of NY Pizza ?

This succulent baby is made using DeIorio's frozen pizza crust, defrosted and allowed to rise a bit, then rolled out for thin crust.
http://www.deiorios.com/history.html
I made my own cold pack pizza sauce from diluted tomato paste, dried oregano and basil (homegrown), a shake of granulated garlic, and 3 shakes of salt.
The cheeses are Asiago, Parmesan, and Mozzerella. I sprinkled olive oil (not EVO) liberally over the top before cooking at 425F for 15 minutes.

Mr B is very proud of me. I have watched him enough so I can do the pizzer (Boston area pronunciation) now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3cheesepizza2012.jpg (216.0 KB, 6 views)