Old 11-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #421
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Posting under the influence?
I cannot lie...yes I am!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #422

Breakfast was a piece of toast with peanut butter and this evening some venison sausage, a small baked potato and some sweet and sour pickled red cabbage.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #423
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Breakfast was two mugs of coffee and a bowl of muesli. Evening meal was a delicious stew of pork chops, spinach, cherry tomatoes, baby russet potatoes, red and yellow peppers, with a little tomato sauce, that I made yesterday in my slow cooker, served on steamed yam slices. The slow cooker ($10) is a great way to make nutritious meals and use up leftovers!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #424
Give me a forum ...

Ham, yams, spinach and a wonderful plum sauce which I made from fresh plums, brown sugar and a spoonful of red wine. I am clearing out the fridge and haven't had to shop all week.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #425

I had some chili tonight. I made it last week and I wasn't too sure if I liked this batch. It was missing something. So I hydrated some dry chipotle chills and added them to the chili. Seeds and all. It was just what that dish needed. Got a good sweat going while eating it.
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #426
Give me a forum ...

Just finished cooking for dinner, but still have to wait for my wife to get home from her visit to my FIL.

Made pork marsala to eat with rice. However, to borrow from a mediterranean dish, I added tomato and capers to the usual onion. The aroma is just driving me nuts, as I am sipping some pinot noir with no food. I only had vegetable soup for lunch (home-made of course), and am so hungry.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #427
Give me a forum ...

I made us a rare treat today...fruit upside down cake from scratch. It is usually made with only pineapple and maraschino cherries as the fruit. I had some cubed tropical fruit mix left over from my last Legion volunteer gig that needed to be used up. The mixed fruit was fabulous.
Mr B had never had upside down cake of any type must have lived in a cave somewhere. He really liked it.
I told him to cut a few pieces for himself and bring the rest to the Legion buddies' coffee clache tomorrow morning. In other words, SHARE IT.
I got this kind of look from him.

I had a 3 egg cheese omelet, a buttermilk biscuit, a piece of the cake, and salt potatoes and butter for dinner.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #428
Give me a forum ...

Steamed clams Brodelaise, in arally nice place on the docks in Tacoma.

Ha
Old 12-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #429
Give me a forum ...

I suddenly had a craving for calf liver. So, I went to the store to get some to make Venetian liver, which is just liver and onion for the common man.

Several Web sites say that the onion must be cooked at low temperature for a long time, as long as 1 hr over low heat with butter. Then the liver is fried at high heat for only 1 min a side.

Will see how that works out. Forgot to get polenta, so I will eat it with mashed potatoes. It is going to be good.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #430
Give me a forum ...

Onion and garlic and green pepper sautéed in olive oil and set aside. Large scallops very quickly sautéed, then the veg added back. Sautéed briefly. Grated Swiss Emmenthaler cheese on top, put under a very close broiler element for 75 sec and put hand ground pepper on top. Eaten with some nice Chilean white wine.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #431
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I suddenly had a craving for calf liver. So, I went to the store to get some to make Venetian liver, which is just liver and onion for the common man.
Sounds good. Where do you find calves' liver, as opposed to the commonly sold beef liver?

Ha
Old 12-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #432
Moderator Emeritus

Crab cakes with butternut squash puree for dinner.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #433
Give me a forum ...

Breakfast:
Coffee, whole grain toast with pear jam, sausage

Lunch:
Green leaf lettuce salad with Stilton cheese, pecans, raspberries and blackberries, vinaigrette, orange juice

Dinner (shortly):
Leftovers from last weekend's dinner party: Abacchio alla Cacciatore (Hunter's Lamb Casserole), served with steamed bok choy and rice, glass of Chardonnay.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #434
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
: Abacchio alla Cacciatore (Hunter's Lamb Casserole),
Would you post the recipe for this dish?

Ha
Old 12-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #435
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Would you post the recipe for this dish?

Ha
I would be interested too.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #436
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Sounds good. Where do you find calve's liver, as opposed to the commonly sold beef liver?

Ha
A grocery store near us called Sprouts has it at $5 in a 1-lb frozen pack. It was just a bit more expensive than beef liver (I thought the latter was $4/lb).

I just finished frying the liver. Thinly-sliced calf liver is so soft, it tears so easily, and I am a clumsy cook.

I deglazed the pan with a bit of red wine, and a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. The aroma drove me nuts. I have not had it yet, as I am waiting for my wife to get home from her errand.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #437
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
A grocery store near us called Sprout has it at $5 in a 1-lb frozen pack. It was just a bit more expensive than beef liver (I thought the latter was $4/lb).

I just finished frying the liver. Thinly-sliced calf liver is so soft, it tears so easily, and I am a clumsy cook.

I deglazed the pan with a bit of red wine, and a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. The aroma drove me nuts. I have not had it yet, as I am waiting for my wife to get home from her errand.
Sounds good. IMO, that is a very good price for calves' liver.

Ha
Old 12-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #438
Give me a forum ...

Glad to oblige with the recipe for Hunter's Lamb Casserole. I have loved this dish for 30 years and made it many times. It holds up well when people arrive late. The original was in a cooking magazine by Robert Carrier published in 1980, but I've adapted and simplified it without losing anything. Please see the attachment for the original recipe.

Ingredients (Meadbh's easy version for approximately six servings):
Leg of lamb, 1.1 Kg or 2 lbs 7 oz approx.
Crimini mushrooms, 8-10 medium sized
White mushrooms, 8-10 medium sized
Olive oil
Garlic
Rosemary
Sage
Flour
Wine or cider vinegar
Anchovy paste
One lemon
Bunch of fresh parsley

Meadbh's simplified recipe:
Trim the fat from the leg of lamb and cut the meat into cubes.
Saute the lamb cubes in olive oil in a big saucepan until they are browned on all sides.
Crush a couple of garlic cloves and add them to the lamb.
Sprinkle in 1 teaspoon of flour.
Pour in 45 mls of the vinegar and 60 mls of hot water, stir, and simmer gently for an hour. Check and stir occasionally.
Meanwhile, cut the mushrooms in two (so they are approximately the same size as the lamb cubes) and saute both types of mushrooms in a spoonful or two of olive oil.
Grate the zest of the lemon and reserve. Slice the lemon.
Chop up the fresh parsley.
After ~45 minutes, add the mushrooms and a tablespoon of anchovy paste to the lamb. Simmer for ~10 minutes.
Turn out the casserole on a warmed serving dish. Garnish with lemon zest and parsley, and decorate the outside with lemon slices.

Serve with vegetables of your choice. Last weekend I served this with roasted beets and garlic potatoes, and steamed chard. The wine was Quail's Gate Old Vines Foch Reserve. Went over really well!

Disclaimer: I am not a good cook. But this is delicious on a cold winter evening. Enjoy!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #439
Give me a forum ...

Sounds excellent, Meadbh. Thanks for sharing it.

Ha
Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #440

Calves' liver and onions sounds good to me (and very healthy).

Tonight for dinner we had venison backstraps on the grill. They were rubbed first with a mix of spices (cumin, black pepper, a little chili pepper, sea salt, and some other stuff). My wife then chopped up a couple of ripe avocados and made an avocado salsa to go with the cooked venison. For sides, we had a baked sweet potato with butter, and a nice big green salad. Yum, yum. The venison is from a young deer I just got last week........so very fresh. I have about 40 lbs. more of it in the freezer now, so lots of good eating lies ahead.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote