Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #661
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Kwae ti aow muu, pork noodle soup. Cost me $0.95
I like various kinds of Oriental noodle soup. My problem with your bowl of soup is that it looks too small. I would have to spend $2 to get full.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #662
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Here are what these two dishes REALLY look like (photos taken by me at the same restaurant, several years ago).
The salad looks bigger but it is on the same size plate as the pasta dish. Still pretty doggone huge!
The menu lists the salad as being 510 calories, which I think is a lot for just a salad. The calories in the pasta dish are a State Secret.
I suspect that either the dressings are adding calories or the salad has avocado in it. Either way, the trick, IMHO, is to limit the amount of highly processed carbs which, in my case, don't fill me up for very long. I have found I can eat a big salad with avocado and various assorted veggies and be very full for hours. However, leave out the avocado and I am starving again in under two hours.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #663
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Kwae ti aow muu, pork noodle soup. Cost me $0.95
Ah, now you make me think of Oriental soups, while I already suffered in this heat eating my own veggie soup.

Thai spicy soup, Vietnamese Pho, Chinese Wonton and Roast Duck soup.... Which one should I have next?

I will go to a local restaurant for these, as it takes way too much work just to make a bowl or two.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #664
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Ah, now you make me think of Oriental soups, while I already suffered in this heat eating my own veggie soup.

Thai spicy soup, Vietnamese Pho, Chinese Wonton and Roast Duck soup.... Which one should I have next?

I will go to a local restaurant for these, as it takes way too much work just to make a bowl or two.
I live 10 miles from the nearest Chinese restaurant, so I keep a supply of flat rice stick noodles on hand for making Oriental style soups. Shelf life seems infinite in a cool dry dark mini pantry under the stairs.
I finally got the hang of making the noodles without turning them to mush.
Little bits of leftover meat and precooked shrimp are in my upstairs freezer for throwing in. I buy those little Oriental soup mix cubes for the flavoring, or just wing it with homemade chicken broth and soy sauce.

Yum yum!
Old 07-15-2014, 09:38 AM   #665
Give me a forum ...

My wife makes homemade Oriental soups too. The one soup she does not make is Roast Duck soup. You have to roast a duck first (I am skipping the part about acquiring the duck, and I am taking about a frozen one here, and not that live one swimming in my pool), and we have not learned to roast duck Chinese style.

Anyway, I have not had roast duck noodle soup for a while, and the best ones I have had were in Chinatowns in places like SF, NYC, or Chicago. We just walked around until we spotted an eatery crowded with locals. Just recalling the moment brings tears to my eyes.

Up in my boonies home, I would have to drive 35 miles one way to get to a Chinese restaurant, and I have not eaten there to see if it's any good. And about Thai and Vietnamese, forget it. That's another reason to not live full-time too far from civilization.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #666

Went out for lunch/dinner to a Taiwanese Buddhist vegan place yesterday. San Francisco is a great place to find these sorts of interesting restaurants.

This one broke with tradition with a root vegetable dish, a sort of sweet potato curry. It was delicious, though. They also had a variety of vegan sushi and mock-meat dishes. All different, but very tasty. (And quite probably not a healthy long term diet with the oils and salt content... Oh well...)
Old 07-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #667
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 960x540.jpg (28.2 KB, 9 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #668
Give me a forum ...

So, somebody figures out a way to raise swine on veggie... Low fat, full of anti-oxidants or whatever? You probably can get this healthy pork at Whole Foods, oui?
Old 07-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #669
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So, somebody figures out a way to raise swine on veggie... Low fat, full of anti-oxidants or whatever? You probably can get this healthy pork at Whole Foods, oui?
Non, pas encore... But Pork tenderloin is pretty lean. I am making a pork tenderloin stew right now.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #670
Give me a forum ...

Well, the adjective vegetarian has to apply to the pork, and not the sandwich, right?

Just joking. I think I know what they meant. Some people have found a way to turn gluten into simulated meat and it is quite popular with vegetarians. I bet that's what it is.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:50 PM   #671
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Well, the adjective vegetarian has to apply to the pork, and not the sandwich, right?

Just joking. I think I know what they meant. Some people have found a way to turn gluten into simulated meat and it is quite popular with vegetarians. I bet that's what it is.
Lost in translation

Some of my favorites are:

"My friend you" = Your friend

"I ever go" = I have been there

Back on topic, a rack of ribs at Kampot, Cambodia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ribs email.jpg (225.9 KB, 10 views)

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #672
Recycles dryer sheets

Local ground lamb and beef burgers grilled over mesquite with mashed taters from the garden and greens from the college garden where I work. Yummers.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #673

My breakfast this morning is a half pint of blueberries and a white peach. This is my favorite time of year. Blueberries and cherries are my two favorite fruits and I'll eat both daily.

Peaches are starting to show up now, and now are so flavorful, they make a fantastic sangria.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #674
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My breakfast this morning is a half pint of blueberries and a white peach. This is my favorite time of year. Blueberries and cherries are my two favorite fruits and I'll eat both daily.

Peaches are starting to show up now, and now are so flavorful, they make a fantastic sangria.
I've been enjoying local peaches for the last week. Melt in the mouth goodness!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #675
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Michael, I wish you could get fresh peaches year round. White flesh peaches are one of my favorite fruits.
Have you had golden kiwi. If you've never had these they are the opposite of green kiwi. Where green are tart, the golden have a yellow flesh and are sweet. Oh, and the skin isn't hairy like the green. Just found the golden at Sam's Club and a local food store.
This time of year I make a lot of fruit sandwiches. I love peaches or kiwi or banana sliced thin on whole wheat bread with a little poppy seed dressing.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:33 PM   #676

Thanks for the tip! I've never seen golden kiwi but now will be on the lookout.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #677
Full time employment: Posting here.

As usually happens, we are overwhelmed with tomatoes. So, tonight I cooked this:

Caprese Lasagna Roll Ups - Cooking Classy

Delicious!!!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #678
Recycles dryer sheets

We are overwhelmed with zucchini in the garden so I made zucchini fritters and zucchini bread today. Tonight is burgers and grilled zucchini. Whatever vitamins are in zucchini, we are getting an overdose!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #679
Give me a forum ...

Today I am traveling.

Breakfast (at home): a ripe peach, a slice of multigrain toast with herb chees, and a mug of pistachio tea.

Lunch (at a restaurant): grilled wild salmon fillet on a bed of roasted potatoes and asparagus, topped with fennel and tomato salsa, and a glass of Pinot Gris.

Dinner (at a different restaurant): spinach, beet, goat cheese and pecan salad with a glass of water.

After dinner: cherry gelato.

It was all good!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #680
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bacon, two eggs over easy, rye toast, coffee.

Bonus: a friendly hug from the waitress.