Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Low carb French toast made with pork rinds. Good.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/rrecipe012.html

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #162
Give me a forum ...

Scrambled eggs and toast for lunch.

Breaded pork chops, fried potatoes with green onions and celery, fresh asparagus with hollandaise sauce.

Supper tonight made up for the icky tacos last night.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Breakfast was 1/2 cup oatmeal with some sliced almonds, a little Splenda & some 2% milk.

Lunch...didn't have time, skipped it. But..I did eat a couple of pecan cookies that were calling to me from my desk drawer.

Dinner...starving, so stopped by Ray's West & picked up a Ray's Special: double grilled hamburger with lettuce, tomatoes & grilled onions. Small fry, washed down by a DIET Cherry Dr. Pepper!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Let me ask the question a different way: what are spouse and I going to eat?

We're getting ready for three nights/four days of hiking Haleakala Crater. Our 12-person group has abruptly shrunk to nine and some of the meal assignments have changed. So instead of a pancakes & bacon breakfast (which we did last year), we've now been voluntold for dinner.

No refrigeration or electricity in the crater, so all cooking will start at room temperature on top of a wood stove. (We have wood & matches but I've been advised not to put much faith in the wood oven.) All three cabins are at ~7000 feet of altitude, which I dimly remember affects some recipes. Water comes from a catchment tank and has to be boiled for a few minutes before it can be used for cooking.

We're planning for food that can be packed over at least two days, and I ain't packin' ice. Our hosts (who have done this for most of the last 50 years) usually pack in steaks with (instant) mashed potatoes or rice and veggies. By the time we get to the cabin on the first evening, their steaks have thawed for cooking. After they've set that high standard, we're not going to try to compete with anything from that menu. We've asked them for suggestions (still awaiting a response) but it'd be nice to bring something new to the table, so to speak.

Hawaii shipping (and our imminent departure) means that ordering from the Mainland is out of the question this year. We do have a Military HQ store that may stock dehydrated (hurricane/earthquake) food in addition to military MREs, but I haven't researched their inventory yet. (We found the store last year in a futile island-wide search for powdered eggs.) That's our last-ditch option.

So far we've come up with spaghetti & bottled sauce with powdered parmesan cheese. That begs the question of French bread, butter, & garlic... which I think we can handle. We'd also be able to pack in a few heads of broccoli and probably keep those outdoors (in a cupboard) the first night to preserve them until the second night.

Another backup plan is vegetarian chili, although you know who's gonna be packing that load if I can't find a dehydrated version.

Any other ideas on packing side dishes, or should I head for the dehydrated aisle at the HQ store?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #165
Confused about dryer sheets

Breakfast: nothing
Lunch: Nothing
Dinner 1 (5pm): Turkey sandwich, big pastry
Dinner 2 (9pm): Half of big bag of dorito chips
Dinner 3 (1am): undecided

Ah...gotta love the meals of a college student!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Too much of my own homemade soups.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
So far we've come up with spaghetti & bottled sauce with powdered parmesan cheese.
Since glass bottles can be heavy, maybe you could find something plastic to carry the spaghetti sauce in. Don't forget the red pepper flakes. Ideally, I think the spaghetti sauce could be pre-cooked for a while, perhaps with extra onion, to get rid of the raw tomato taste (but that's just me). I add meat, too (chuck roast?). I especially like Safeway's Select Marinara sauce (which has a bit of heat already). A grater plus a hunk of Parmigiano Reggiano (from, e.g., Costco) would add little to the weight and would be more stylish than powdered parmesan.

I'd be concerned about getting the spaghetti cooked properly over a campfire at an altitude. I've never tried that.

It sounds like lots of fun for you.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:59 AM   #168
Moderator Emeritus

We're only packing plastic-- broken glass would be a horrible mess even without the spaghetti sauce. Even the Chivas goes in a plastic squeeze bottle.

Upon further discussion with our group host we've decided on a cured/baked ham along with spaghetti & sauce. Veggie sauce for our group's vegetarian, ham for the omnivores. A plastic bag of frozen corn will round out the meal. By starting frozen (and spending the night in the outdoor chill locker) the corn should stay cold enough for dinner on day #2. Broccoli would also work except that nobody else in our group cares for it.

I think the spaghetti has to boil longer at altitude-- I'll have to look that up. I've been cooking it in a microwave for several years now and can't even remember how long it used to boil on the stove.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We're only packing plastic-- broken glass would be a horrible mess even without the spaghetti sauce. Even the Chivas goes in a plastic squeeze bottle.

Upon further discussion with our group host we've decided on a cured/baked ham along with spaghetti & sauce. Veggie sauce for our group's vegetarian, ham for the omnivores. A plastic bag of frozen corn will round out the meal. By starting frozen (and spending the night in the outdoor chill locker) the corn should stay cold enough for dinner on day #2. Broccoli would also work except that nobody else in our group cares for it.

I think the spaghetti has to boil longer at altitude-- I'll have to look that up. I've been cooking it in a microwave for several years now and can't even remember how long it used to boil on the stove.
At lower altitudes, 6-10 minutes, depending on how "al dente" you want it.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #170
gone traveling

I could say, but I would be banned from the forum ...
Old 05-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #171
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
At lower altitudes, 6-10 minutes, depending on how "al dente" you want it.
OK, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I could say, but I would be banned from the forum ...
I'll have to check with my spouse and our hosts, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't on the menu either...

Old 05-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #172
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Breakfast: coffee with sugarfree fresh creamer; oatmeal and skim milk

Lunch: tomato basil chicken (blackened chicken with very hot and spicy Cajun/Italian tomato basil sauce, thick with fresh Creole tomatos, parmesan, and more, all served over angelhair pasta); diet Coke

Dinner: Chinese pepper steak, white rice, water

All this and Weight Watchers still approves... Portion size helps!
Today I ordered the same tomato basil chicken, and got a photo this time since I had my new iPhone with me. Thought some here might enjoy seeing the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomato basil chicken.jpg (19.8 KB, 123 views)
Old 05-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #173
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Today I ordered the same tomato basil chicken, and got a photo this time since I had my new iPhone with me. Thought some here might enjoy seeing the photo.
Stop...doing...that.

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #174
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Stop...doing...that.
If you hold down the "CTRL" key and scroll forward with your mouse, it will get big enough to fill your screen.... almost as though it was on the table right in front of you.

Edited to add: $7.99, and with a lunch card every 5th one is free...
Old 05-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #175

Breakfast: 2 1/2 scrambled eggs, 4 strips of bacon, grits w/butter, coffee. Yes, I said grits!

Lunch: nothing, really.

Dinner: Beef fajitas (beef, onions, green peppers), refried beans, mexican rice, chips & salsa. Iced tea.

Dessert: Large Sonic Blast (Snickers).
Old 05-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #176
Administrator

At lunch today I ordered the Apple Almond Blue Cheese Salad. Just $7.99 and much bigger and more fabulous than it looks in the photo. Yum!!!

Tonight, rotisserie chicken and brown rice. Quick and easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AppleAlmondBlueCheeseSaladSmall.jpg (39.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #177
Moderator Emeritus

This one doesn't do it for me W2R. Rabbit food topped with globs of stinky curdled milk...

Old 05-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #178
Administrator

Quote:
This one doesn't do it for me W2R. Rabbit food topped with globs of stinky curdled milk...
Fooey! I'll try to do better next time.

F. ordered the tomato basil chicken that you liked more, shown in my prior post.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #179
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

F. ordered the tomato basil chicken that you liked more, shown in my prior post.
I can't imagine why...

Old 05-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #180
Administrator

Quote:
I can't imagine why...
I can't get him to try the salad for some reason. I've tried. He just expresses polite interest and then orders the tomato basil chicken.