Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I poked into it, and it was cooked through. I would know if I took a big bite, but then I would have to cut into a piece, and I wanted to have the nice presentation with each piece intact.

Anyway, I would not have time unless I had the guests wait for another hour or two. It was still cooking when dinner was served, and at that point the simmering time was 3 hours, and already longer than the recommended time.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2017, 09:26 AM   #182
Give me a forum ...

I'm certainly no gourmet chef, but I would have perhaps considered starting earlier.

As the old Russian proverb, made famous by Mr Reagan, goes "Trust but verify".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #183
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mater sammich for lunch - homegrown tomatoes. Yum.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #184
Give me a forum ...

I thought about starting earlier, but then would have overcooked it if I were at a lower elevation (do not want the meat to disintegrate or turn mushy). I would have to take it off the stove, or to keep warm until serving time.

Anyway, the meat was edible, but even though it was cooked through it had the texture of a steak instead of being more tender. Oh well, the guests ate their share and did not leave anything on their plate.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Oh well, the guests ate their share and did not leave anything on their plate.
I'm sure your epicurean reputation remains intact, and that they'll be back for more!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:36 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

It was not the 1st time I had these neighbors for dinner, but the meals usually worked out more like I planned it.

I already promised that for the next dinner I will make a lamb dish as the husband likes lamb and does not get to eat it often as his wife does not eat it. I will make something else for the women because my wife does not eat lamb either.

When you leave your home unoccupied for long periods like I do, you learn to make friends with neighbors who live there full-time.

PS. We had some business in town, and were not up there on July 4th as we usually did. The husband said July 4th was not the same when I was not there. Of course not, as I quite often host a neighborhood party.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #187
Full time employment: Posting here.

Breakfast: Homemade pizza with a ton of veggies.

Lunch: Quinoa with broccoli, Italian sausage, and cheese.

Dinner: Baked potato and toast.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #188
Give me a forum ...

Breakfast: whole wheat toast with ricotta cheese, homemade basil pesto and jubilee tomatoes. Coffee.

Lunch: Yogurt with fresh raspberries.

Dinner: grilled sirloin peppercorn burger with cheese but no bun, skewer of mushrooms and red bell peppers. Glass of Pinot Grigio. Edited to add: dessert: Greek yogurt with roasted rhubarb in orange and ginger sauce.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #189

I love this thread. Many inspiring ideas for simple, healthy meals.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #190

Breakfast was a small bowl of mixed blueberries, raspberries and blackberries with some whipped cream on top.

Lunch was at Outback Steakhouse with DW. We each ordered salad, filet Mignon, and baked potato. I get my potato loaded with cheese, sour cream, bacon bits and chopped scallions. I'm still stuffed. If I eat any dinner at all it'll be something light.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Lunch was at Outback Steakhouse with DW. We each ordered salad, filet Mignon, and baked potato. I get my potato loaded with cheese, sour cream, bacon bits and chopped scallions. I'll still stuffed. If I eat any dinner at all it'll be something light.
I could eat a loaf of their complimentary bread every day. Or they used to have free bread before ordering. It was amazing.

Breakfast today again was the last of my veggie pizza.

Lunch was another type of veggie pizza with potatoes and jalapenos, a side of pulled pork, and cauliflower tots.

Snack was an apple dipped in apple butter.

Dinner is slow cooked pork loin with potatoes and sauerkraut in a large amount of hard apple cider.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
I could eat a loaf of their complimentary bread every day. Or they used to have free bread before ordering. It was amazing.
They still do, at least where we go. Unfortunately for me I have to maintain a gluten free diet so I can't have any.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Two shrimp tostadas.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #194
Moderator Emeritus

2 scrambled eggs
2 eggs over medium
2 strips of bacon
2 pork sausage links

too many cups of coffee (black)
Old 07-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #195
Give me a forum ...

This evening I hauled out the pasta machine and some pasta dough that I had made a couple of months age and frozen. I made angel hair pasta and a homemade sauce with passata, Basil, grilled peppers and mushrooms and Andouilli sausage. Delicious!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:31 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Breakfast was bacon(2),eggs(2),and a slice of Orowheat.

Lunch was grilled chicken breast salad.

Dinner a nice skirt steak and assorted greens with tortillas. Not quite fajitas but very good.

A serving(all you care to eat, it's low cal) of Pistachio Almond ice cream for dessert.😁
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:26 PM   #197

Breakfast was a salad with some smoked ham and smoked turkey breast, grated cheddar cheese and Italian dressing.

Lunch was a grilled filet Mignon (I got several at the grocery and cooked them all today) and three scrambled eggs. Followed by a little bit of cranberry trail mix and I'll probably skip any dinner.

Normally I don't eat all that much beef but for some reason I'm having hankerings for it lately.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #198

Dinner, Clams , Mussels, squid, shrimp, in a marina sauce over linguine. Crusty Italian bread, and the last glass of Chianti I opened last week. I was happy as a clam, I bet the clams werent.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Hit the sushi bar for lunch, doing terriyaki chicken for supper
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #200

3 egg omelet with salsa verde, homemade Hatch chile pesto, cheddar, a touch of salsa, and 3 cups java. (with a little fresh Kona coffee from last weeks trip.)
Lunch was some leftover sirloin from last night's shish kebobs with broccoli.
Dinner was salad, General Tsao's chicken, a mouthful of rice and more broccoli.

Right now I'm enjoying tonight's 3rd and final glass of my 2013 Zinister One, a hearty red Zinfandel, aged in French oak, toasted on the "dark side". Yum.

Total wine intake 375 ml, for anyone counting for me.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote