Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2017, 08:37 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had a pulled pork barbeque sandwich on a 6" hoagie roll with a sweet and sour mustard slaw. And it was GREAT!
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

What Did You Eat Today?
Old 02-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

What Did You Eat Today?

A piece of bacon for breakfast, left over eggplant Parmesan and some grilled whitefish for lunch, 1/2 avocado and hummus with roasted red pepper between lunch and dinner, (I put too much red pepper and the hummus looked more like carrot purée but it tasted good) and a pork chop with onion/mushrooms and caponata for dinner. Probably over 2000 calories today. So stuffed.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:00 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

I am feeling under the weather today and I have zero appetite. So far, I have eaten an apple, and drunk a cup of hot chocolate.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:02 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I am feeling under the weather today and I have zero appetite. So far, I have eaten an apple, and drunk a cup of hot chocolate.

Being sick is no fun. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You realize you are getting older when your sweet treat for the evening is a caramel oat fiber bar.

I actually like the taste, but still.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #86

For dinner we had my very first attempt at making a Chicago deep dish pizza. I tried to replicate the "stuffed pizza" style featuring an upper crust like we enjoyed on our last trip there. Topped it with sauce featuring home grown basil. It may not be quite up to Giordano's yet, but for a rookie effort it turned out surprisingly good.

I used a bread machine recipe to make the dough, but it baked out a bit thicker than I hoped. Anybody here who has suggestions on making thin crisp pizza crusts, please enlighten me and I'll be your best friend.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:03 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
For dinner we had my very first attempt at making a Chicago deep dish pizza. I tried to replicate the "stuffed pizza" style featuring an upper crust like we enjoyed on our last trip there. Topped it with sauce featuring home grown basil. It may not be quite up to Giordano's yet, but for a rookie effort it turned out surprisingly good.

I used a bread machine recipe to make the dough, but it baked out a bit thicker than I hoped. Anybody here who has suggestions on making thin crisp pizza crusts, please enlighten me and I'll be your best friend.
You have seen this thread? It may answer all of your questions:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ad.php?t=25283
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:47 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Wife stated earlier today: "We will have scallop for dinner". Huh?

Turned out that she discovered a package of scallops in the freezer. Oh, big nice ones too! How long have they been in there? It's a shame if these expensive chunks got freezer burn.

Turned out that they still looked good. I seasoned with salt and pepper, then browned them with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. When done, thought about deglazing the pan with some white wine, but had a better idea. How about a couple of tablespoons of that Cocchi Americano, with some vodka and water mixed in (as the Cocchi is too sweet)? Then, some chopped shallot and minced garlic, then finished with some butter.

Then, the scallops were served on a bed of watercress (grown in the backyard), with some slices of juicy tomatoes (not home grown), drizzled with the pan sauce, and some lemon juice squeezed on top.

Oh man, life is darn good. I am going to make myself a gin and tonic now to top it off.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Chicken Tikka Masala
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:43 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Shrimp salad for lunch. 4-5 fabulous jumbo boiled shrimp, about half an avocado, and remoulade. Mmm. Wished it was bigger.

I think I might boil some eggs for dinner, after reading the protein bar thread. Hard boiled eggs would really hit the spot. Maybe a fruit smoothie later on, too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:55 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

I had a salad and home made veggie curry soup for lunch. For dinner we had carryout dim sum from 99 Ranch Market.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:57 PM   #92

Pork chop with baked yam and carrots and peas.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:19 PM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Salmon poached in a dollop of orange juice with browned diced mangoes, side of sauteed diced zucchini and sweet red peppers sprinkled with oregano and balsamic vinegar while cooking. Lots of flavor; 15 minutes start to finish to throw together.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Went to the market earlier today, saw some mahi mahi, so got it for dinner. Texted my son to see if he cared for some blackened fish. Of course he could not refuse.

Just finished the meal. I cooked it outside on a very hot iron skillet. It is not as blackened as some special restaurants can do, but my homemade cajun seasoning is just as good. Side dishes are asparagus, pan roasted bell peppers, seasoned quinoa.

The meal was good! How often have I said that life is good?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:21 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Got the charcoal starting in the chimney and the swordfish steak glazed with macadamia nut oil and sprinkled with S&P waiting to go.

Side of steamed asparagus and a bottle of beer will be good to go!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:26 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Went to the market earlier today, saw some mahi mahi, so got it for dinner. Texted my son to see if he cared for some blackened fish. Of course he could not refuse.

Just finished the meal. I cooked it outside on a very hot iron skillet. It is not as blackened as some special restaurants can do, but my homemade cajun seasoning is just as good. Side dishes are asparagus, pan roasted bell peppers, seasoned quinoa.

The meal was good! How often have I said that life is good?

Sounds really good, Robbie.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:02 AM   #97

While shopping a few days ago I spotted a package of chicken breasts that were dirt cheap because they had been priced to sell as I was shopping on the "sell by" date. I went home,sauteed some baby spinach with a little lemon, garlic, and onion. Filleted open the chicken and put the spinach mix inside and rolled them back up, vacuum sealed them, cooked them sous vide at 145 degrees. When done, plunged them in ice water and stuck them in the fridge for later. Last night I rewarded them at 138 degrees, then unpackaged them and "breaded" them with egg dip and a mixture of crushed BBQ flavored pork rinds and grated Parmesan, then quick fried them in coconut and olive oil. Served with cheesy mashed cauliflower and mixed veggies. The chicken was amazing. Fantastic way to do low carb breaded chicken. Sous vide left the chicken breast really moist and tender. The lemon and spinach and the crust made it feel like gourmet. We only ate half of it. Six servings for $5 (including all the ingredients). I'm feeling frugal.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:14 AM   #98

Big Mac Jr. after yoga. We haven't had fast food for a long time, so it tasted good.
iloveyoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Homemade spaghetti sauce. Delalllo tomatoes with lamb and pork sausage meatballs. I was surprised that DW enjoyed the lamb, but she offered that she really enjoyed this batch.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #100

Had a bowl of Cap'n Crunch for breakfast. Local Costco gets it for a short time each year so I indulge.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote