Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Two small concrete slabs from a Craigslist ad. One of them is now being used as a pad on the lawn for barbecuing, where I was wearing out the grass standing. Haven't figured out where to use the other one yet.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 11:23 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I won an iPad auction at Ebay. The seller said he will give me a "free" tempered glass screen protector for the iPad, so the iPad screen will be protected from scratches. And he also offered 'Free shipping'. Hopefully I should get it in 2 days.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:22 AM   #43

I ordered an Indian meal here and we paid for 37.50 GBP by credit card. He bought the machine to our table and swiped the amount, no tip was necessary. So I guess I got free tip, equivalent of 5 GBP.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #44

free 6" breakfast sammich at flubway - yum
Old 05-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I ordered an Indian meal here and we paid for 37.50 GBP by credit card. He bought the machine to our table and swiped the amount, no tip was necessary. So I guess I got free tip, equivalent of 5 GBP.
In Europe we always left the modest tip in cash on the table. They almost never had a way to add the tip via credit card.

The tipping is extremely modest by US standards. And none is acceptable - i.e. not considered a complaint.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
In Europe we always left the modest tip in cash on the table. They almost never had a way to add the tip via credit card.

The tipping is extremely modest by US standards. And none is acceptable - i.e. not considered a complaint.
I used to do that but I didn't have any cash with me. But I've decided, when in Rome do what the Romans do.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #47

Got a free ride to the airport by signing up for Uber through Chase.

First time using it and I must say it's way better than a cab.

Even without the free benefit Uber would have been surprisingly cheap ($12). With a cab I'd expect to pay $20-30 for the same distance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 05-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I used to do that but I didn't have any cash with me. But I've decided, when in Rome do what the Romans do.
In traveling in Europe I always collect a bunch of 1 and 2 coins, because it seems like i need them everywhere - including those darn ticket machines.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

This is a hobby of mine so in a really good month I'll get $2K worth of free stuff or deep discounts. The majority of it comes from product reviews, get paid to apps, comp tickets, Entertainment book coupons and credit card bonuses and points.

I also sign up for all sorts of newsletters using a free email account. Usually there is something useful every day.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
I found a dime
Old 05-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I found a dime

Old 05-25-2016, 08:54 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

DH went to Menards and found a receipt where someone has purchased something that had a $7 rebate offered. He stopped at the customer service desk, picked up the rebate form and I mailed it!!!
Old 05-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Finished signing my will, POA, Living will today. Attorney said that after checking, some of the documents were a bit more complex and would have costed about $500 but since the we originally agreed as covered, the attorney said "consider that a gift". I asked if the attorney was sure? Yep. a freebie.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:31 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

After living here for just over a year, they decided to review our water usage, and it was far less than the previous owners. So they not only lowered the bill going forward, but applied it retroactively and gave us a $230 credit. I never asked for the review, so that's found money!
Old 05-27-2016, 06:41 AM   #54

When I was a kid we would sometimes be offered a free gift chosen from a grab bag of cheap stuff. Recently, I purchased a bluetooth headphone at Amazon and was given a free tiny bluetooth speaker with a red coat. That was nice but I didn't have a need for a cute tiny speaker with a red coat so, after playing with it for a few minutes, I hooked it to the charger where it remains today. Boy I wish they offered adults a choice from a grab bag because I love free stuff. I never pass up the toothpick in the jar on the way out if it is individually covered nor do I pass up the free mint. I would never buy either at a checkout counter.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:42 AM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Many years ago we owned a house in Houston that had no water meter. We never got a water/sewer bill.

I went to the annual meeting of our rural electric co-op last Saturday and entered my name in a prize drawing. Got a call from them yesterday informing me I had won an Amazon Fire TV. Now all I need is broadband fast enough to stream...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:06 AM   #56

I just made reservations for McCormick & Schmick's Seafood & Steaks on Monday evening, Memorial day. Free Veteran's dinner. I will be going to Perkins for breakfast that day, free Veterans breakfast.

It's (finally) a great time to be a vet. only 0.5% of the population is.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:17 AM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

It's (finally) a great time to be a vet. only 0.5% of the population is.
I think that 0.5% number represents the current percentage of active military. The US Census says veterans make up approximately 7% of the population.

Note: over half of all veterans are over the age of 60.

What Percentage Of Americans Have Served In The Military? | FiveThirtyEight

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doribe View Post
I found a dime
I pretty sure I lost it. Does is have Roosevelt on it? Mine did.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:20 AM   #59

Went to a free bluegrass concert last evening, sponsored by my town. (Paid for by taxes, though, in reality, I guess). Just plop down your folding chair, and enjoy.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:31 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I pretty sure I lost it. Does is have Roosevelt on it? Mine did.
Are you sure it's yours? Which side was R - front or back?