What did you get for "Free" today .. or some other day?

cyber888

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So, I've seen posts here like - what did you do today ... what did you buy on Amazon today ... or what's your pet peeve today ... Well, I'm going to start a new thread which I think makes sense.

Throughout our lives, we usually pay for stuff, but occasionally - we do get something for Free. And it does feel good to get something for free. :dance:

Today (er a few hours ago), I went to Smithfield's Chicken to order 8 pieces of chicken to take home. I had a discount coupon for it for $9.99, where the regular price was $12.99 (excluding taxes). So, it was $3.00 off. Anyway, I paid for it, and I noticed in the receipt that they only deducted $2.00. I paid something like $11.67 (which included the taxes). So, I told the manager that they owe me a $1.00 more.

The manager punches in the cashier machine and took money out in the amount of $13.83 (or $12.99 + taxes) and handed it to me. I said 'no, you only owe me a dollar, not $13.83." The Manager smiled and said no, we're giving you a full refund of everything because we made a mistake and this cash is yours. I can't believe they just gave me 8 pieces of fried chicken for free + change. :dance::D

That was nice of the manager to give you a refund. Thanks for starting this thread. I really like searching for freebies and discounts and would enjoy hearing about other posters' deals, too.

Today we used a buy one get one meal free coupon at a Thai restaurant for lunch, deposited $175 in checks from credit card sign up bonuses, and I made $1 Amazon gift card from an Android app. These weren't free but I picked up play tickets today at the box office (no online or mail surcharge) with a military discount, so that was $55 off the online price and I bought 19 cents each bananas at Trader Joe's. I also signed up for membership at Sam's Club latest deal - pay $45 for membership fee but get back $25 in egift cards and $20 in free food.

My local supermarket (Kroger) has a standing policy that if the machine scans your item at the wrong price, the item is free. I'm likely to notice, since I always use the U-Scan lane and don't buy a lot of items at a time. It doesn't happen often, but nice when it does.

I also got an offer for a free dinner at a nice restaurant the other day, and I can bring three friends if I like. Not only that, but we'll also get free information about how to preserve our retirement assets indefinitely. :LOL:

Got a free cup of coffee at Dunkin' today. They have a loyalty card and after $X in purchases (not sure how much but it's not a lot) you get a free cup. I get one free every 3-4 weeks.

Sorta not free but without the card, I'd pay for every cup.

Kroger also has a "Free Friday digital coupon" promotion. It can only be downloaded on Friday but typically you have 2 weeks to use it. Last week it was for a free Curate snack bar, regularly priced at $1.59. This week it is a 2 Liter bottle of Mist Twist.

Last week I redeemed another $100 of e-Rewards funny money for 7,000 Hilton points and $25 worth for 500 Southwest points, which kept the miles in my account from expiring. I'd been a member of e-Rewards for years before I realized that there are surveys out there all the time, not just when they e-mail you about one. Many are Neilson and JD Power. I get kicked out of the ones looking for people who plan to buy new (current model year cars), but they have plenty for people with a lot of money invested, asking what you think of various firms, potential commercials, robo-advisors, etc.

Hilton allows redemptions only every 90 days but I also got a $25 Starbucks gift card last month and have used e-Rewards in the past on other airline accounts to keep them active.

Yesterday I participated in a 35-mile "Tour de Bier" ride and although I skipped the brews on offer at the various rest stops (drinking beer before lunch is not my thing), I celebrated at the end with a cold pint of Tallgrass Brewery Buffalo Sweat. So I guess that was free if you don't count the netry fee!

I get 1 to 3% cash back from ever dollar I spend on my credit cards each month. (every month) :)

Regarding fast food restaurants as in the OP. Over the years they have made so many mistakes with my orders (wrong food or drinks, too many or too few items in the bag, incorrect change, etc.) I'm almost surprised when they get it right.

2 round trip tickets to hawaii from the east coast...well had to pay $10/person in taxes. Thank you credit card signup bonuses.

I'm getting $150 from Chase Freedom Card now that I've spent the required $500.

Got a free tuneup on the mountain bike when I took it in to replace broken pedals. The bike shop is good about that.

--ZG

3 and 1/4 inches of rain over the weekend! Much needed as we haven't had rain for several weeks. We don't get much rain over the summer.

I'm getting $150 from Chase Freedom Card now that I've spent the required $500.

I've been getting a 10% rebate on all my mobile communications purchases/bills, which is great, because I needed to buy an iPhone SE.

This is the Amex Blue Preferred card.

Also got the $150 rebate because I met the spending requirement - the phone helped there too.

... I also signed up for membership at Sam's Club latest deal - pay $45 for membership fee but get back $25 in egift cards and $20 in free food.
Just told my wife about this. She said "Let's get our free $45".

I looked online, but there's nothing about it. Perhaps it's just a local deal and not nationwide.

PS. Never mind. I found it. My fridge is full now, so the free food is not as appealing.

Last edited:
What did I get for free today?

The sun came up. It looked like rain, and gusts of wind rustled through the tree branches, and we then had the most delightful little drizzle/shower, with huge drops.

That's what I got for free today, and it made me happy so it's probably enough for now. :)

The free fried chicken wasn't the only thing I got free yesterday. After the chicken, we went to Food Lion for grocery. I had 3 coupons from Food Lion for free Magnum Ice cream ($4.99), free aluminum foil ($3.75) and free Smithfield sausage ($3.79). DW said, "oh great, you get free GMO food". I said "it's free and it's worth about $12+ bucks, I'm eating the ice cream and sausage" :D But after checking out and it was really free, she said 'what other free coupons do you got there'.

Free is usually not "free." You pay somewhere along the line, or it's spread among all customers (as in the example above) - but sometimes things may indeed be free...

Neither are today... but all are this week..

- received my executive member cash back check from Costco... $204.37. Woot.
- got free pizza last Wed at the college where I take Italian - ASG hosted a destress during finals party that included a free slice. Worked out great because I had an hour to kill to going to my son's high school, next the CC, to proctor IB exams.
- I'll go to my geezer water aerobics class tomorrow - free through the continuing ed department of the community college for seniors. I go 2 x week because that's how often the one closest to my house runs.
- Oh - and I'm reading a book from the library... free entertainment.

Lettuce - from my neighbors abundant garden ;)

In January I bought a Wendy's Frosty key fob for $1.00. The key fob entitles me to a "free" junior Frosty every time I visit a Wendy's in town for the entire year. Since I eat at Wendy's 4-5 times a week, this is a great value.

My local supermarket (Kroger) has a standing policy that if the machine scans your item at the wrong price, the item is free. I'm likely to notice, since I always use the U-Scan lane and don't buy a lot of items at a time. It doesn't happen often, but nice when it does.

I also got an offer for a free dinner at a nice restaurant the other day, and I can bring three friends if I like. Not only that, but we'll also get free information about how to preserve our retirement assets indefinitely. :LOL:

When it happens to me (at Kroger), I only get back the difference..

Free Winery tour and wine tasting at the Messina Hof Winery ("Free" with $600 two night stay at their onsite bed and breakfast).

Not exactly "free" but I had a routine preventative medical exam today that didn't cost me anything out of pocket (beyond the premiums already paid, of course).

Don't know if this is really "free", but it feels like it.

I had been using Home Depot credit card at its stores, and they would knock off 5% upon request (you have to ask for it, while Lowe's does the same automatically).

About 2 months ago, they stopped this practice. Fine, I just stopped using the card and used my AmEx Blue to get cash rewards. I told the HD cashier, and she agreed with me, saying that "it would teach them".

I recently received a coupon for 10% off a purchase, if I used their card. OK, so they knew that I stopped using their card. I was planning on buying a chop saw to add to my power tool collection. And so, I just did that to get that 10%.

Is that really "free" or not? I always pay off in full each month.

Last edited:
It's what I paid for and didn't get:

I mean who stole the 30 grams of burger? I'm ticked, that's not even 15 ounces, it says 16. Now I have to go buy another one and weigh it. I only use the scale to divide up patties, thought I was going wacko as the numbers weren't adding up right. Well if the total is off I guess it won't divide proper.

Attachments

• 1463442836960.jpg
    1463442836960.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 20
The Amazon gift card with $5 promotional gift credit if you reload with $100 or more. One per customer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom