Join Early Retirement Today

What did you read as a child ?
Old 06-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

This is another twist on Cuppa Joe's thread on "What did you read to your children "
I loved all the Nancy Drew mysteries and I also read a series called Trixie Belden which were some of my favorite books .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Encyclopedias, mostly. I was a geek even when I was 4 years old.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Encyclopedias, mostly. I was a geek even when I was 4 years old.
Me too. Compton's Abridged was great for grade school level reading.
I also read the unabridged dictionary at the library looking for choice words. I found them all.

The ones I remember...a few Suess books, Heidi, Grimm's Fairy Tales, every one of Walter Farley's Black Stallion & Fury collection, Life magazine, NY Daily News, Alfred Hitchcock paperbacks, Reader's Digest monthly magazine and hardcover condensed books, the abridged home version of Compton's Encyclopedia, Taylor Caldwell, Bullfinch's Mythology, etc etc.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I can only recall one book that I could actually call my own as a child. The Big Book of Cowboys was the name.

I saw it in the children's section of the library years later while looking for books with my kids. I must have read that book hundreds of times as a child and enjoyed leafing through it at the library. My kids wanted nothing to do with it when I suggested that it looked like a good book.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Richard Scarry's What Do People Do All Day was one of my earliest. Rien Poortvliet & Wil Huygen's Gnomes was also a favorite. The Narnia and Middle Earth series were favorites a bit later. Lots of commics: Dennis the Menace, Peanuts, etc.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #6

As a young kid (2nd grade) I mostly read Highlights magazines that my grandmother gave me. I'm not sure, but I think they may have been from when my Dad and his sibs were kids, because they had a very 1950's feel. By 3rd and 4th grade I'd graduated to The Hardy Boys and Encyclopedia Brown. I think I read every book in those series at least 3 times.

I know I would have loved the Harry Potter books at that age, if they'd been out then. After reading the first book, I'm waiting to read the rest of the series for a few years so I can read with my kids.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I read everything I could get my hands on, including history, technical manuals, travel and fiction. While I did use the library, I loved the smell and feel of new books and still do (I bought five books while on vacation last week).
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I read everything I could get my hands on, ).

I also read constantly . I was always getting in trouble for staying up late and reading with a flashlight .
Old 06-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I also read constantly . I was always getting in trouble for staying up late and reading with a flashlight .
.....and reading in bed on Saturday mornings....
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

I read (over and over and over) the Walter Farley Black Stallion series books. The first one was "The Black Stallion" and there were about 18 others, if I recall correctly. I'd read them in [relative] order, then re-read them. Loved 'em!

Yep. I was horse mad.

Marilyn
Old 06-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Me, too on the Black Stallion mysteries, Marilyn. Also the Linda Craig mysteries about the Palomino horse Chica de Oro, and any other horse-related book I could get my hands on! Like others, I was a voracious reader. When Hurricane Hugo came through in 1989, my ruined books required many many many sad wheelbarrow loads to the trash pile.

If I come across any Black Stallion or other books from my youth in a used bookstore, I always pick them up. A non-horse favorite was the Borrowers--still a great read. Also loved the libertarian Girl Who Owned A City by OT Nelson, one I found again and re-read to my delight.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We had a Compton’s also, my dad was notorious for reading straight through the Encyclopedia Britannica (a famous 1920s version) when I was a child. From him, I picked up the habit of reading everywhere. Harley mentioned the “Boxcar Children” which I loved. I checked out a lot of biographies from the grade school library.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #13

By the time i was 8 or 9 i was a Jules Verne junkie..
Old 06-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I read whatever we had in the house, which included the encyclopedia, mice and men, and some set of academic books for kids my parents bought.

In the youngest years, read all the Fudge, Super Fudge, Ramona books, baby sitter's club, the whole Little House on the Prairie series, Anne of Green Gables series, Little Women, anything from Jane Austen, a few mystery books (not memorable) and as a tween the flowers in the attic series (which I can't believe my generation read, it' s such a twisted series!). Judy Blume definitely helped me thru prepubescence.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

When I was 9 or 10, I read The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John Le Carré. No, I did not understand it then. I did not remember the title nor much of the plot, other than the sad ending at the foot of the Berlin wall.

When in my 20's and truly reading this masterpiece, I recalled that I had read it as a child when I reached the end of the novel.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Richard Scarry's What Do People Do All Day

I guess you were preparing for early retirement early.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The first book I read was Dick and Jane; I think Puff and Spot were involved. When I was in grade school, we had to write five book reports a year. I think that put a nasty taste in my mouth when it came to reading in my younger years.

Of course I always enjoyed....Tiger Beat.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
Richard Scarry's What Do People Do All Day was one of my earliestc.

I really like the Richard Scarry books . I bought most of them for my children.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

First and foremost, the Narnia books. I loved them as a child and read each many times. I also loved the Little House on the Prairie books given to me by my Kansas grandma. When I entered my teen years, I moved on to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and the Carlos Castaneda books. Perhaps this explains why I'm a little "different".
Old 06-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was a big science fiction fan as a boy -- especially Robert Heinlein, Issac Asimov, and Ray Bradbury.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote