Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-13-2015, 10:33 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
The subject is scary.

Instead... take a minute, and look around... for just one thing...

Plastic

Growing up in the 1930's and early 1940's... We didn't have plastic.

Now, imagine your life without plastic.

Plastics ?
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #62
Administrator

The Seven Up candy bar | Loved these.

Coach Handbags made in NY - back when they were simply designed and made with saddle leather

Reasonably priced, well made underwear.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pre-Smog cars with carbureted engines.

They were so easy and enjoyable to work on, I never got stuck on the road unless it was some sort of major failure. Todays cars are such a PITA to work on, a breakdown nearly always results in a tow.

Plus, the smell of a non-catalytic exhaust, especially if detuned, is pure ambrosia, that subtle hint of unleaded gasoline...

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Baseball (and football) cards in/on cereal boxes and on Hostess boxes (Tastykake was the main mini-cake vendor in my area, so Hostess was hard to find ). I still have them, and they remind me of my youth.
PhrugalPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Growing up in the 1930's and early 1940's... We didn't have plastic.

Now, imagine your life without plastic.

And try to imagine what would have been there, instead.
I distinctly remember building my first crystal radio set on a bakelite chassis. Early 50s. Aside from that, I guess everything was wood or metal.

Of course, when I was very young, all we had was stone. Well, the occasional mammoth bone.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Andy Capp's fries.

Not the cheddar or hot flavored ones, although they are good comfort food too, just the plain version which was the ultimate salty greasy treat in my mind.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:23 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Fizzies! Drop one in a glass of water and you had instant soda pop.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #68
Dryer sheet aficionado

Chocolate soldier drink in a bottle. I remember getting them out of a horizontal soda machine. You put your money in and slid the bottle along a rack then lifted your selection out.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #69
Dryer sheet aficionado

I only see Telephone Booths on TV. There may be 2 wall pay phones at the Atlanta airport luggage area now.

When I was a kid and a couple of us had a dime it was fun to prank call someone we knew (disguising our voices best we could)...no caller ID back then. Good times!
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:59 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
The Seven Up candy bar | Loved these. ...
Never saw those, an East coast thing I guess (but then one comment mentioned Jewel-Osco in Racine)? Sound good from that link. Here's more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=86&v=lwPp0_qPw6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
Yep, those were fun as a kid. Did anyone mention those wax mini-bottles of sweet juice inside? Terrible, but appealed to us kids.

The thread has really turned into food nostalgia, and I'm not surprised, as I honestly had a hard time thinking of anything from the past that I really 'miss' - things mostly are far better today.

OK, here's one (could be in the rant thread) - the VOLUME CONTROL, the physical volume control. Yep, the old rotary type. I absolutely hate having to grab a remote and find the volume keys (in a different place on most remotes), and then point and click, click, click, click to get the volume down for some obnoxious commercial, or to answer the phone/door. And I hate to use MUTE, because then you can forget you had it on. Try to find the buttons on a TV if the remote is hiding - a bunch in a row, and nothing to distinguish volume from anything else. And computers are worse, find a menu, or the function key among about a hundred...

There is just nothing as direct and 'user friendly' as a physical knob. Grab it, turn it down or up, you know the drill. And you always know a full turn of the wrist takes you just about all the way from off to full. You know what a quarter turn will do - your wrist is practically calibrated for that. Direct feedback, muscle-memory, no delay - it's near perfect.

In fact, that was the main deciding factor when I bought an Analog-to-Digital converter to play digitized audio from my computer to the stereo. I got one with a physical volume control - bliss!

For our kitchen TV, I wanted some external speakers - the little internal TV speakers were just too tinny. So I got a small amp and speakers - and the best thing - the amp has a physical volume control. Remotes seem like the stone age compared to the older physical volume control - we've gone backwards.

Do they make a TV remote with a physical volume knob? That would be great!

Beyond that, I have not thought of anything other than nostalgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar View Post
Pre-Smog cars with carbureted engines.

They were so easy and enjoyable to work on, I never got stuck on the road unless it was some sort of major failure. Todays cars are such a PITA to work on, a breakdown nearly always results in a tow. ...

_B
I thought you were using satire, but I guess not. That's not how I remember it.

Points that had to be adjusted, timing, dwell, spark plugs that would foul, carburetors with idle adjustments, lean/rich, choke adjustments - and that dashpot thingie to squirt a little extra gas in when you slammed the throttle?

Ran terrible on a cold day until they warmed up. Oh man, sorry, no nostalgia even for any of that. No thanks.

Modern cars needing a tow? Hmmm, last few times I've had any issues at all, the check engine light comes on, I read the code, and it practically tells me what is wrong - long before I even noticed any problems.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
What discontinued products do you miss?
Old 04-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

What discontinued products do you miss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

There is just nothing as direct and 'user friendly' as a physical knob. Grab it, turn it down or up, you know the drill. <snip>

Do they make a TV remote with a physical volume knob? That would be great!

Amen! The place where I miss knobs is on radios when you're trying to tune into a station. Sometimes the "scan/seek" type controls just don't get it right. Even better, I had a tuner with a second knob for fine-tuning.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Amen! The place where I miss knobs is on radios when you're trying to tune into a station. Sometimes the "scan/seek" type controls just don't get it right. Even better, I had a tuner with a second knob for fine-tuning.
Hah! That's one place I do like the buttons. With a digital display (and memory select) you get the station exactly. With the knobs, I wasn't always sure if I had station WWWX or nearby (on the dial) WWWZ until some announcement clued me in.

I'm pretty sure the digital tuners get you as close as you are going to get, they have PLL circuitry to lock on. Your old analogue tuner might have had higher sensitivity, and therefore with careful tuning you could get a distant station in. But receiver sensitivity is a function of the tuner itself, not so much the human interface on that tuner.

My NAD receiver even has a second button that acted like your fine tune knob - it moved you in a few increments plus/minus from directly on frequency - that could help to move away from a strong neighboring station. But good capture ratios and high rejection ratios and selectivity make that a not-so-common problem. And unless I'm in my car, most radio listening is done over the internet - point/click to choose my station. And I feed my computer through an amplifier, with a ... physical volume control!

-ERD50
Old 04-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
I had forgotten all about these! Found them on Amazon:

Fizzies
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmyfinger View Post
Carnation Breakfast Bars....
Loved those bars and ate a lot of them. I was surprised when they were discontinued. Maybe I ate too many, causing some of the main ingredients to become extinct.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:28 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I thought you were using satire, but I guess not. That's not how I remember it.

Points that had to be adjusted, timing, dwell, spark plugs that would foul, carburetors with idle adjustments, lean/rich, choke adjustments - and that dashpot thingie to squirt a little extra gas in when you slammed the throttle?

Ran terrible on a cold day until they warmed up. Oh man, sorry, no nostalgia even for any of that. No thanks.

Modern cars needing a tow? Hmmm, last few times I've had any issues at all, the check engine light comes on, I read the code, and it practically tells me what is wrong - long before I even noticed any problems.

-ERD50
Apparently, you were not a good mechanic on the older cars that had ignition points and a carburetor, or you didn't have a good mechanic handy.

I had plenty of those simple cars, and all that they required was a good, simple tune up every 10,000 miles or so. Besides, all the tools you needed to do that tune up with consisted of a set of sockets/wrenches and a feeler gauge. If you were like me, you bought (or built) a dwell meter for determining if you gapped the points correctly. And, if you were in the time quadrant when electronic ignition modules were available as an add on, these old cars were even more reliable. There was a lot less to go wrong with those very simple spark-ignition systems than there is today.

Carburetors were pretty simple devices until air emission rules caused manufacturers to try to add computerized main jet control and other not-so-effective manipulation of the air/fuel ratio under different operating temperatures. That was a transition period (mid - 1980's) to fuel injection, and the early fuel injection units were not very good, especially the mechanical ones (early GM - Rochester).

The little "dashpot thingie" you mention was the carburetor accelerator pump - and BTW, and they worked quite well and were a simple design. Back in the late 70's and early 80's, a good backyard mechanic could totally rebuild a carb in an hour and a kit that contained a new needle valve and seat, an accelerator pump, all the gaskets and O-rings, and other miscellaneous parts was under $20.

Cars needing tows? Seems like I see lots of them around here and towing services are everywhere. These newer, computer controlled cars seem to either run or just stop, and fixing one in your driveway requires a good ECM scanner and that may not be enough. Oh, and an inexpensive code reader tells you what the "symptom" is and that is generally not enough information to figure out the defective part(s). Try deciphering a typical code that gives the info as PXXXX - "leak in evaporative control system" and go to Autozone with that in your hand. Good luck!

Yes, the newer cars are better designed, more efficient, more comfortable, but are disasters waiting to happen if some critical component goes south. The old cars had no critical components outside of the nut behind the wheel.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:07 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Apparently, you were not a good mechanic on the older cars that had ignition points and a carburetor, or you didn't have a good mechanic handy.

I had plenty of those simple cars, and all that they required was a good, simple tune up every 10,000 miles or so. ....

... These newer, computer controlled cars seem to either run or just stop, and fixing one in your driveway requires a good ECM scanner and that may not be enough. Oh, and an inexpensive code reader tells you what the "symptom" is and that is generally not enough information to figure out the defective part(s). Try deciphering a typical code that gives the info as PXXXX - "leak in evaporative control system" and go to Autozone with that in your hand. Good luck! ...
Well, I agree with you that the 'transition' years of emission controls before the fuel injection and ECM systems matured were the worst of all worlds.

But I can't agree with much of the rest. The 10,000 mile tune-ups are not required at all these days (and even plugs are good for 40-100,000 miles). I knew how to do tune ups, and I did - but I like it better when I don't have to do them. And the minute you closed the hood, that tune-up was degrading mile by mile - the modern computers keep all that in check with superb accuracy.

Sure, the code readers can only report the symptom, but often it's so pinpoint that the causes are obvious, and the internet helps. And they are no longer expensive. I bought a $15 bluetooth OBDII module and use a free app on my tablet that tells me far more than the $60 scanner I bought a few years ago:

Amazon.com: Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Scan Tool Check Engine Light Car Code Reader: Automotive

On my Volvo, the code and a quick internet search pinpointed it down to thermostat or sensor (engine not coming up to temperature in specified time). The thermostat was cheaper, so I did that first, and that did it.

Of all the modern cars in our family, I've never had an actual ECM issue, or anything related to the new stuff. One car did need a fuel injector replaced, but that wasn't a big deal - I'm sure carburetors over that same time and number of vehicles would have required more attention. I've had water pumps, a coil, gaskets, exhaust stuff, and regular maintenance like light bulbs, belts, brakes and tires - all the same old stuff as the old cars.

It would be interesting to see stats on average miles between tows today versus an early 1960's car. I'd be very surprised if the modern systems aren't far more reliable.

No nostalgia for me, you can have the carbs and points and dwell meters and timing lights if you like 'em!

-ERD50
Old 04-14-2015, 05:50 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My NAD receiver...

-ERD50

I didn't know nads could pickup radio signals? But they do have a built-in antenna...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:27 AM   #78

Danish Go Rounds.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:28 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Wow! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I remember that commercial well - goodness gracious there's a lot of stuff on YouTube!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Test patterns on tv following the national anthem.

I also miss a negative--the lack of descriptive commercials for personal care products....