Join Early Retirement Today

What discontinued products do you miss?
Old 04-11-2015, 06:15 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What discontinued products do you miss?

I have many fond childhood memories of making milkshakes from a product called "Thick & Frosty", which was available in the 70s. I'd love to take it out of the freezer, scoop some out in a glass, add milk, and stir. Yummy. What products do you miss?
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I must be the only person who liked the taste of a McLean Deluxe (well, at least in comparison to a Big Mac)
Old 04-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Leiderkranz cheese......

Yes you can still get Limburger, but it's not the same!!!!
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #4
Administrator

Donuts, candy bars, M&M's, ginger ale and 50/50, pizza, Easter candy, Halloween candy, ice cream, pie, brownies, toll house chocolate chip cookies. My problem isn't things from my childhood that are no longer available. They're all still there, I just can't eat them anymore.

I also miss my childhood innocence and carefree youth.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #5

Gasoline without 10 % ethonol , for marine and small engines. In CA, only way to get this is to buy 100LL avation gas at the airport , at over 2x the cost of auto gasoline

Oh , I almost forgot, the original Twinkies . They changed them slightly when the new baker restarted production. At least they didn't change the formula for the cream center
( aerated pork jellitin ) yummy !
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Gasoline without 10 % ethonol , for marine and small engines. In CA, only way to get this is to buy 100LL avation gas at the airport , at over 2x the cost of auto gasoline
We are lucky enough to still be able to get that here. Local station, no credit cards. Every time I go I feel like I'm getting away with something.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Donuts, candy bars, M&M's, ginger ale and 50/50, pizza, Easter candy, Halloween candy, ice cream, pie, brownies, toll house chocolate chip cookies. My problem isn't things from my childhood that are no longer available. They're all still there, I just can't eat them anymore.
+1000 Sometimes I think back on those years, and it's hard to believe what people ate back then while still staying thin despite not making any attempt to go to the gym or work out. Desserts every day! I haven't had one for decades, except once each year on Christmas Eve. Ice cream on sunny afternoons, real butter in a butter dish on the table every day, real cream and also sugar in our coffee, birthday cake, a box of candy at Christmastime.

Quote:
I'm doing my best to regain that in retirement, to the extent possible.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:22 AM   #8

Quote:

Some days, I miss my mind. . .
Old 04-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #9

Cane sugar rather than high fructose corn syrup. Trans fats in baked goods. I like to live dangerously.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #10

McDonald's fries when they used beef tallow.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:23 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Zingers. In general, I eat healthy, I'm active, I avoid fried foods and processed foods with ingredients I can't pronounce and I sneer sanctimoniously at the recipes my friends post on FB that start out with crescent roll dough and add sour cream, cream cheese, cheddar cheese and bacon- but I've loved Zingers since college. Here's one version.

The company that took over most of the Hostess brands isn't making them, or maybe they aren't distributing them widely. I found them on a road trip a few times, but they don't have quite the taste the originals did. Maybe it's just as well!
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
The company that took over most of the Hostess brands isn't making them, or maybe they aren't distributing them widely. I found them on a road trip a few times, but they don't have quite the taste the originals did. Maybe it's just as well!
I sense that too, the very few times I've eaten Hostess stuff during the 2000s, the taste is different than I recall as a kid. I blame the change away from trans fats.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #13

Hostess Pudding Pies were the absolute bomb... and I mean that in both a good and bad way! So delicious but so loaded with saturated fat and calories. My friends and I used to eat these all the time back in the 80s.

Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #14

Sani-Flush
Old 04-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
I sense that too, the very few times I've eaten Hostess stuff during the 2000s, the taste is different than I recall as a kid. I blame the change away from trans fats.
I always have to wonder , when one of these " Food Products " either has to change the formula or is taken off the market , Was it the Food and Drug Admin. or the EPA that caused it .
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #16

Buckwheats cereal. I loved this cereal when I was growing up.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #17

Teaberry chewing gum.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Teaberry chewing gum.
Clark's Teaberry 15-Piece Gum Pack: 12 Count
Old 04-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Teaberry chewing gum.
Yes!!! And Black Jack chewing gum.....yummy

And clove life savers!
Old 04-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
McDonald's fries when they used beef tallow.
+100! And those fried apple pies they used to make. Delicious!