What Display Mode(s) Do You Use (and Why)

Which Display Mode Do You Prefer On This Forum?

• Threaded Mode (mostly)

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Hybrid Mode (mostly)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Linear Mode (mostly)

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • What is a Mode?

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters

jazz4cash

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I generally stick with Linear Mode. If I'm searching for a particular post in a very long thread, I will switch over to Hybrid or Threaded (but Im not even sure what the difference is between these two).

For any who may wonder about this, here's an explanation from the forum FAQ:
Can I change the order of posts?

You have a choice over how you view threads. When you're in a thread, look at the top bar. On the right hand side you'll see 'Display Mode'. Click on this and it lets you change how posts are ordered.

You have three choices:

Linear Mode - posts are displayed chronologically, usually from oldest to newest. Posts are shown in a flat mode so that many posts can be viewed simultaneously. It is possible to change the ordering by changing your preferences in the User CP

Threaded Mode - a tree is shown along with every post. This shows you the relationship each post has to the others. It's easy to see who responded to whom. Only one post is shown at a time. By clicking on a single post in the post tree, the page will show that post and all posts made in response to it.

Hybrid Mode - This is a mixture of the linear and threaded modes. The post tree is displayed as in the threaded mode, but many posts are shown at the same time as in the linear modes.

I stick with Linear, as people often respond without quoting someone but still the context is a reply to the other previous posters.
And some folks just use a ^^^^^^^ to mean above post rather than a quote.

A threaded mode would misrepresent the context.

I stick with Linear, as people often respond without quoting someone but still the context is a reply to the other previous posters.
And some folks just use a ^^^^^^^ to mean above post rather than a quote.

A threaded mode would misrepresent the context.

Agreed - I just tried threaded mode on some threads, it was a mess (for me).

-ERD50

Linear, I didn’t know there were options...

Commode?

Back
Top Bottom