Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

In the how much has dollar tree cost you. I put a wooden spoon in dishwasher-it fell apart and plugged up the holes in the sprayer.
I used to buy laundry soap there til I got my front loader.
Cans of soup there cost .18 more then Aldi for an off brand. Never buy TP there-cheap is not worth it.
lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
sunglasses
Me too. And they are the only ones that never break and never get lost even if the quality can be a little sketchy sometimes.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

greeting cards
puzzle books
wooden clothespins (for crafts and gardening to hold the row cover)
wooden craft sticks 100/$1 - good as a cheap small plant marker
silicone spatulas
small batteries for watches, pedometers, etc.
Luau net that is happily supporting my peas as they grow and twine up it
plastic zip ties
gift bags
cutting board
dental floss (Reach brand)
helium balloons
pens

There are many things there that are poor quality and I've bought my share of them, but there are certainly things that are much cheaper than at other stores and decent quality for their purpose.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #24

Recently got 10 plastic containers with lids for a buck (actually got 40 of 'em) They're just big enough to hold 1 oz of nuts. I buy nuts at Sam's and split 'em up into these little 10 cent containers. Then I know when to stop eating, hehe.

PS: I never buy food or anything taken internally at the Dollar Tree...too many stories of contaminated stuff from China.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #25

Reading glasses for all those stations around the house...I don't buy anything to eat either.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
.....................I don't buy anything to eat either.
I rarely buy food there either, but some of their food is name brands, but in smaller containers. Seems to be an evolving niche market.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #27

My favorite purchase and bargain are their gift bags (Christmas, Birthdays etc) I also have occasionally found some nice coffee mugs and bowels in there. Also, they carry a fairly good size bottle of Ocean Spray Red Ruby grapefruit juice there, but sell out everyday by mid afternoon.

Sometimes notepads if they are big enough. Eye glass neck straps when I can find them. Best pair I have purchased, I got for a $1.00, but have not been able to find anymore.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
... I also have occasionally found some nice coffee mugs and bowels in there.
I never shop for bowels - even at Dollar Tree.

Go ahead, call me gutless...
Old 05-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

The idea of bowels for sale at Dollar Tree might be curiously consistent. But then, I never claimed to like the place.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

I saw that, and started counting - REWahoo will reply in 10, 9, 8, 7....

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

toothpaste
palmolive bath soap--3 bars for a dollar--my main source of soap for years
aluminum foil
some food items--mushrooms in a jar, some canned fish

There is another store owned by Dollar Tree called Dollar Deals or Dollar Tree Deals which has very low prices on the same type of merchandise, but there is no one dollar limit on the prices. Lots of good values to be found. They are not that common as there may only be one or two in a big city.
james7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Glow sticks
Hangers
Gift bags
Bags of small river rocks for terrariums
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #33

Wow, I never knew they had all that stuff. I'll have to take a second look. Dollar General is more prevalent around here but I've never bought more than reading glasses there. The inventories sound similar though.

Since I'll soon be rejoining the ranks of the unemployed, and other sites have a lot of info on photographic creativity with "junk" I'll take a closer look next time I'm near one.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #34

Although I like Dollar Tree, I love the .99c store in my neighborhood......they carry lots of fresh food/vegetables/lettuce not available at my Dollar Tree. Anybody else go there?
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Wow, I never knew they had all that stuff. I'll have to take a second look. Dollar General is more prevalent around here but I've never bought more than reading glasses there. .
DG has good buys, best is to buy online. Free shipping over $25, and they usuallly have a $5 off coupon for $25 orders.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #36

Trail mix - you can buy the bags of various ingredients and mix them yourself - good stuff.
Hotdog buns and liters of soda for kid parties
duct tape and cheap tools to have in auto/atv

I havent been in a DT store for several months.....now I'm going to next time out

We had a wisebuy closeby - everything less than 10 bucks - there were some great deals there - went out of business.

How long can these 1 dollar stores stay open? The bags will get smaller and smaller... m&ms will have 9 per bag
Old 05-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Alkaline batteries. A 4-pack of AA or AAA for...$1!

I used to buy the 48 pack at costco, but even at that count they were ~ $0.48 each, almost double the $0.25 at DT.

Make sure you get the Alkaline type (currently Sunbeam labeling), NOT 'super-heavy-duty', which are old, old tech and not a good value at all compared to alkaline.

-ERD50
Do you have any history w/ these? I used to buy some brand at the local hardware store. They seemed to be ok but after some shelf life some of them were dead while others were ok...........no quality control built in.
Forgot the name.....but batteries were gold/black color .
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
Although I like Dollar Tree, I love the .99c store in my neighborhood......they carry lots of fresh food/vegetables/lettuce not available at my Dollar Tree. Anybody else go there?

I checked their website and I believe that their stores are only in the West, particularly CA. There are quite a few dollar stores in this area, including Family Dollar and Dollar General, but Dollar Tree is the only one where the price of everything is only one dollar.

I never shopped at dollar stores until recently; the great recession made me a loyal customer and this forum has sure helped change my mindset.
james7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

RE: AA & AAA alkaline batteries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Do you have any history w/ these? I used to buy some brand at the local hardware store. They seemed to be ok but after some shelf life some of them were dead while others were ok...........no quality control built in.
Forgot the name.....but batteries were gold/black color .
I've only been buying them for 6 months, so no real personal data. Reviews were positive. The packages are dated ('Best Before' 2018 & 2019 on the ones I just bought).

Just make sure you are getting ALKALINES, not 'super heavy duty' or 'heavy duty'. Alkalines a far superior to those old types.

These things are a commodity. I know people who say they have been in the factories and have seen the same unmarked batteries from the production line get shuttled over for various brand markings. I recall a Consumer Reports test that pretty much validated this. IIRC, more variation batch-to-batch than from brand-to-brand. It's possible that QC could be lax on lower cost ones, but I'm not aware that it is a significant issue.

OTOH, I avoid buying cheap coin cells on Amazon or other on-line places. The cheap ones appear to be repackaged, with old dates and/or may have been in a hot warehouse (ages lithium batteries).

OK, now you got me curious, so I 'm going to run my battery tester on each my stock (wha'dya do all day?). This tester puts it under load, and measures current (indicating voltage under load), back in a minute......

OK, so I had three 4-packs, and one pack with 3 left in it. All measured 4.2-4.3 on my meter, no significant variation, and typical of what I've seen on other new batteries. A reading of 4.0 is considered 'good' on this scale, but I've put used ones into service when they've read 3.5, and I can still get plenty of life out of them. I really doubt these are of any lesser quality that anything else you can buy on the regular market.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

when in AZ for the winter, I get all frozen or cold foods at Albertson's in Blythe, but almost all dry goods at the Dollar Store or Family Dollar in town. <ironic due to the ~30 min drive w/frozen foods>
drb391 is offline   Reply With Quote