Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

We have a monitored security system, cameras, guns and ammo. Looking into a gated entry. But I really like the moat idea.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1. We have an unmonitored alarm system with sensors on all doors and windows along with motion detectors inside. Loud enough to wake up the neighborhood.
  2. Normal locking systems with deadbolt locks
  3. Flood lamps external with motion detector to turn on the light out side. Front and back.
  4. When away, we use timers (inside) to turn lamps on at night.
  5. We live in an area that has low crime.
  6. We let a neighbor know when we are going out of town and provide a number to call if anything suspicious happens (e.g., Moving van parked in driveway).
Now that we are FIRED... I have been thinking about getting a service connected to our alarm system since we will be traveling more. This would be helpful since we could have a family member notified to look into any events and preform temporary triage if something did happen.

We have never been burglarized so far... hope our luck holds out.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No guns, knives, alarms, deadbolts here, just my combo motion alarm / defense systems :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (121.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 09-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think we are missing a bet by not thinking outside the box.

A moat works nicely, and if thugs get across the drawbridge when it is down then try shooting at them with crossbows from the turrets.
I'd vote for adding alligators to the moat, then manning the turrets would not be needed.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

A moat works nicely, and if thugs get across the drawbridge when it is down then try shooting at them with crossbows from the turrets.
What if we don't have enough water for a moat? Maybe I could dig a moat around the house and put in motion detectors and a mine field.

P.S. I did install a motion detector light outside. So far it's gone off a few times, caught that skunk again ... Hah!
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I'd vote for adding alligators to the moat, then manning the turrets would not be needed.
Excellent! Alligators or piranhas would be a great addition to this security system. Another possible improvement would be remote control operation of the drawbridge, so that it could be left raised when one is out of the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
What if we don't have enough water for a moat? Maybe I could dig a moat around the house and put in motion detectors and a mine field.
That would work, for those who are determined not to live in southeast Louisiana (where we all have webbed feet). Actually, that might be a good idea in any case for the area immediately outside the moat.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Securing a single family dwelling in a community with seasonal occupancy can be a challenge. Our home on Bainbridge Island had monitored security with alarms but we did have one break in on a door we had forgotten to secure. There was a delay in the horn because when it was set up the programmer's intent was to give the resident an opportunity to disarm the system. As a result the intruder was inside when the alarm went off and hid until the police and neighbors left thinking it was a false alarm. When he left, empty handed to blend in with neighborhood walkers, he set off the alarm system again.

When we returned we talked to the alarm company who could identify when doors the perp entered and exited and we found the foot prints. After telling our local police what happened they erased 'false alarm' from their books (we get fined for too many false alarms).

I don't think a monitored alarm system is a high priority but a parameter and motion alarm system that IS SET can be. The other thing is to make the house look occupied. Have lights that go on and off as if they were being used by an occupant with some variation in the timing. We didn't have them but lights that turn on by motion sensor can startle & discourage an intruder might be a good idea however if they are set off by the wind moving bushes - not good.

Like others we have moved to a building staffed 24/7. Our attack dog has a first and last name, we complain about her because she is a PITA but we have no problems with security.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

The only way into my house is either to use the elevator which only we can access or walk up two long flights of stairs and then drag their loot down two flights of stairs . That combined with motion detectors and noisy neighbors takes care of it .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Our approach to keeping the house looked occupied for short and long term absences...
- 2 of 3 cars in the driveway with constantly changed positions, keep auto doors locked (at least I do) in the driveway,
- several indoor lamps on timers all year, often changing the time of day sequence,
- 2 barking dogs in the garage (day absences),
- golf putter right next to bed in master bedroom,
- inside locks on gates on 6 foot wood stockade style fence,
- 2 outdoor dusk-to-dawn lights,
- plowing service and a friend who will pull in and leave fresh tire tracks and footsteps in the winter while away,
- mowing the lawn the day before leaving,
- stopping mail delivery, no newspaper delivery service ever, do not order anything online for delivery while away,
- notifying state troopers and security system company for longer absences.

Full security/fire sensors and alarm system, which is only as good as the skill or lack thereof of any potential burgular or arsonist. Panic buttons on 2 control panels for 911 auto-call, located somewhere inside the house.
No alarm system stickers on exterior of house. SURPRISE!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:

Château de Chambord? (we have been there - a beautiful ediface in the Lorie Valley)...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Looks too small for Chambord. I think it is Chenonceau.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
Looks too small for Chambord. I think it is Chenonceau.
We have also been to Chenonceau. What gave it away was the "black turrents" on the original picture (which has since been deleted)...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

It's Chenanceau, my favorite of the Loire valley castles. But any photo of a castle with a moat will do as a starting point....

Deleted original photo? Don't know what you mean - - I just checked at the site where I obtained it, and it is still there just as it is still there as the original and only photo in my post. Perhaps you have a computer problem.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #34
Administrator

A word about loud alarms. If you are not there to turn them off and they are battery powered, they can stay on for quite a long time, and that does tend to bother the neighbors. That has happened to us 3 times. Once it was our apartment (company installed alarm system) and we were traveling. The alarm blared for over 12 hours and the entire building (12 floors, 25 units) was really pi$$ed at us. Happened twice with neighbors in S Florida when they were away traveling. A few minutes is easy. An entire day is enough to make someone want to break in the house and steal the alarm. And there is nothing the police can do.

I think the moat with 'gators is a better idea. It probably gets a bit damp, but that's just an opportunity to enjoy a fireplace - which is much more romantic anyway.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Something that we learned after getting word of our break-in is that our next-door neighbor down south had died in the last couple weeks - guess she'd been fighting cancer, which fact she hadn't shared with us during the 6 months we were there. She had been in her house about 15 years and she had a very active German Shepherd that I'd been bribing with single cat food morsels - had gotten VERY tired of the dog barking at me every time I went around our house. I understand that her house had had an estate sale and had signs and an overflowing garbage container. Makes me think that we may have been hit by thieves attracted to the neighbor's detritus. Scavenger attack. I didn't care for the dog barking at me , but it probably kept thieves at bay while it was there.

Looks like alarm company signage is worthwhile, and I like Brat's motion sensor light idea - we have outdoor CFL lights on all night, but I've rigged motion sensor lights in our closet and garage up here for convenience - I could sure rig some down there as burglar scares - OOOO! maybe rig a flashing red light to come on when motion is detected. Don't think any audible alarm - if it goes off I don't want the good neighbors torching our house to shut the damn alarm down if we aren't there.

Heh. just read MichaelB's story above..
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Calmloki,
I setup a portable radio to turn on at night at my 2nd home that I was remodeling for sale. Had it loud enough to hear if you were outside the house. You could also setup a small tv in a bedroom on timer, people seem to assume you're home when they see the flickering of the tv when you're outside the home.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Consider giving a trusted neighbor a key to your house and instructions on how to turn the alarm system off and then re-arm it. We had a house in our old neighborhood with a problem alarm and neighbors cornered him for keys and instructions. Problem solved.

The other solution to the problem is that his teenagers grew up and moved away from home. I think at least one alarm issue was the kids trying to sneak back into their bedrooms after hours or when intoxicated.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Honestly, it's just stuff. If someone wants it that bad, I'm not going to try to stop them. On the other hand, if they come at the wife or kids, they'll be staring down the business end of a short barrel 12 gauge, and thanks to uncle Sam, I know how to use it.
wmackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Friends do have keys and have checked in on the place now and again - hate to burden them unduly. Maybe an alarm sign outside the fence and a few strobes like this inside the house with a motion sensor outside in the courtyard:
DJ Disco Party Police Mini Strobe Light w/ 5 color lens | eBay

Idea is that if someone hopped the fence the inside of the house would start flashing for 5 minutes or so. Might prevent broken glass. If a bird set off the lights, well, it would be weird and if I were checking the place out over time I'd give it a pass, not wanting to see what happened after smashing the glass.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
No guns, knives, alarms, deadbolts here, just my combo motion alarm / defense systems :
The little one thinks he is the toughest - at least at my house. Post Katrina I hardly lock my house - let alone own any 'stuff'' I can't afford to have stolen. Do lock my income tax records in a heavy FireKing file.

Pre Katrina - 'in the Louisiana swamp' big dog and a 12 guage pump. Usually someone was always home.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote