Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What do I do to be treated nicely? Well, in real life, I tend to apologize a lot (some would say 'over apologetic'). Others have described me as 'sensitive', 'too shy' or 'too kind', not assertive enough. I avoid confrontation at all costs both in my personal and professional life, although I have no problem online to put rude posters back in their place, and even if I get an infraction for it :-) this website is the only place where I am totally open and honest about my personal and financial circumstances - nowhere else. I also spend a lot of my personal time and resources helping uninsured patients in need here and abroad, and hopefully patients who know this recognize what i try to do and treat me nicely in return (some do). Some of you may call this 'hubris' or 'disingenuous' - but to me it might be more a matter of "self validation" in a US culture and environment which are very different from my environment from birth. Still trying to get accepted...
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good posture, and being alert.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I try to treat others nicely and try to use "please", "thank you", "Sir" and "Ma'am" frequently. Seems to work so far.
+1

"Miss" works wonders with waitresses, female store clerks and other service workers.

Young ones are taken aback - in a good way - because it is used so infrequently. Those who remember its use are flattered.

(Side story... I went to a old-style, family-owned diner in an older neighborhood last week. The place was straight out of the 60's in every way, yet does great business. My waitress Kitty called me "Honey", "Darlin' " and "Hun" at various points during the meal. I gave her a nice tip.)
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I try to treat others nicely and try to use "please", "thank you", "Sir" and "Ma'am" frequently. Seems to work so far.

If someone does treat me poorly I usually ignore it but in the extreme, if they really piss me off I turn on them with a vengeance and a sharp tongue.
I got a kick out of this as you ran the full gamut of emotions here. Somehow at the end of that last sentence a picture from the distant past flashed up complete with sound effects:

Maybe I've done a little of that too.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
......Sometimes I think that is the best thing about our pets. They accept us for how we are...... .
My dog thinks that I look and smell funny.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
This is not at all a new idea, but I think people will treat you as nicely as you treat them. Sure, sometimes one's a jerk (I certainly am), but in the long run things get cemented.
+3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I always say thank you. But generally I am pretty invisible so nobody treats me nicely or not.
Did someone say something?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+2

I try to be nice to people as much as I can and to maintain a sweet, positive disposition.

It's hard sometimes.

I find that pointing a gun at someone while doing my best Clint Eastwood impersonation pretty much guarantees that I am treated nicely and respectfully. At least while the gun is drawn
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I try to treat people nicely. I listen to their stories. I always try to attend a social gatherings when invited. I do not get upset if I am not included. I try to help out when the person is in need. I rarely give unsolicited advice.

I try my best but sometimes circumstances make it difficult.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

+3

Did someone say something?
Thank you.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
+1
My waitress Kitty called me "Honey", "Darlin' " and "Hun" at various points during the meal. I gave her a nice tip.)
From time to time, I am called "sweetie" and "hon" by cashiers in local stores and love it. These types of greetings have a ring of old-world charm about them. It makes me feel happy when a relative stranger greets me that way. We need to keep more of these older traditions alive in our world

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #31

I notice when someone walks down the street with their huge rottweiler every one they encounter is on their very best behavior: lots of smiles and no sudden movements. Well, maybe an involuntary and unwanted sudden movement if someone becomes startled and scared at the same time.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I find that pointing a gun at someone while doing my best Clint Eastwood impersonation pretty much guarantees that I am treated nicely and respectfully. At least while the gun is drawn
At least until the cars with the flashing blue lights arrive.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Yep. Bodyguard effect. Perhaps every small, frail, lonely older person needs a large, respect-inducing dog.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I notice when someone walks down the street with their huge rottweiler every one they encounter is on their very best behavior: lots of smiles and no sudden movements.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Yep. Bodyguard effect. Perhaps every small, frail, lonely older person needs a large, respect-inducing dog.

Amethyst
Trouble is, old frail people with big aggro dogs are hazardous to themselves and others. Not sure what the answer is. Once society gets rough things get rough, and roughest for the most vulnerable which definitely includes the old. Still, an amazing number of old, frail and sometimes whacky men and women who are alone get along fine. Where I used to live I would see an old lady bent over so badly that she had difficulty seeing anything other than the sidewalk right ahead of her. Yet she walked around, did her shopping with one of those little pull carts, and seemed to be quite self sufficient. These people amaze me with what they can handle. Imagine being blind and crossing a street! They know full well that some of the morons in cars are texting, running from the law, drunk or otherwise impaired.

I think it really helps if there is a strong church in the neighborhood, and the old man or woman becomes a member-even better if they do this while he or she still can participate fully.

Ha
Old 08-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

My experience is that church is just another pecking order, where everyone is assigned roles based on age and sex and expected to play them.

In that context, if an old person needs and gets help, it is not given unconditionally just because it's from a church. Instead, it constitutes a gateway to the inevitable "You really need to..." and "isn't it time you..." all fully discussed behind your back with other church members first.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
T

I think it really helps if there is a strong church in the neighborhood, and the old man or woman becomes a member-even better if they do this while he or she still can participate fully.

Ha
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Smile, eye contact, acknowledge others' existence, firm handshake, good posture, confident walk, act like you know what you are doing and are supposed to be there. Be polite to others, listen, respect them, have deference to others when appropriate. Say please and thank you. When talking to an adult stranger, give them a title (like Sir or Ma'am) even (especially?) if you feel they are "beneath" your social standing.

Maybe these rules only apply in the South? I have described the charismatic "good ole boy" that seems to climb to the top of the dung heap (socially and politically, particularly on the right), often without real merit other than charm.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #37
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
My experience is that church is just another pecking order, where everyone is assigned roles based on age and sex and expected to play them.

In that context, if an old person needs and gets help, it is not given unconditionally just because it's from a church. Instead, it constitutes a gateway to the inevitable "You really need to..." and "isn't it time you..." all fully discussed behind your back with other church members first.

Amethyst
Good point! I've experienced the same thing in churches and it was a real turnoff for me. There are a lot of folks with agendas in those places. Many times I felt guiltier after church than I did before. Still though, I think that ha has a point and that churches can provide community (however dysfunctional) and that gets more important as we age.
Bob Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Smile, eye contact, acknowledge others' existence, firm handshake, good posture, confident walk, act like you know what you are doing and are supposed to be there. Be polite to others, listen, respect them, have deference to others when appropriate. Say please and thank you. When talking to an adult stranger, give them a title (like Sir or Ma'am) even (especially?) if you feel they are "beneath" your social standing.

Maybe these rules only apply in the South? I have described the charismatic "good ole boy" that seems to climb to the top of the dung heap (socially and politically, particularly on the right), often without real merit other than charm.
This is really hard, but a great lesson to learn. If you met the supreme being at the grocery store, would you recognize the divine nature? You just never know what you may bump into.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I forgot to mention good grooming. That is the reason I shave every Friday, if I need it or not. And I also pick out the very best thrift store shirt from my closet. It is important to me for people to see a poor, hard working fellow. Not the lazy, well heeled man I really am. {I do buy good shoes}
Old 08-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #40
Administrator

MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote