Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2007, 05:18 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
What do you like about where you live?
For one, this:

OK, not really moving in full time till next year, but my soul is already there

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2007, 09:00 AM   #42

donheff said: I am on Capitol Hill in DC. KAudrey and SoontoRetire covered it pretty well for me. DW and I have the added luxury of a weekend house on the tidal Potomac with 240 degree water views.

-----

Sounds like we need a DC ER get-together at donheff's house!

SoonToBeRetired - I am a big sports fan (playing and watching). I often go when my NY teams are in town, although I will go to hockey or the Nationals anytime.

Karen

Old 06-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Do people do these things on the Mainland too?
we have all that minus the pedestrian care & even less concern for bicyclists (a few killed each year). and of course just a 1/2 hour south of here is miami where drivers have rated as the rudest in the country, two years running. thus the 300-hp under my hood.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #44

Quote:
I have to say from the start that Hawaii drivers will always let you in. If you learned to drive in an aggressive-driver state then you won't believe what you're seeing. (It must be a trick!) You sometimes have to be careful following the driver ahead of you because they'll slow down to let someone else go ahead of them.
Nords, does this also mean that Hawaii or Oahu is "bicycle friendly"?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:21 AM   #45

Lake Liningston, Tx
Home
Click link above and see for yourself. It is our website and will give you a good idea of retirement on Lake Livingston.
Livingston is a large lake and not crowded. Benifits of Houston are less than 1 hr away. Cons of Houston are 1 hour away. Nice golf course.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post
Roadside memorials are very common in Japan. (That is what you meant by the Mainland, right?) Usually flowers, sometimes other things that the deceased liked.
Well, the Japanese heritage would explain why we're seeing so much of it here.

Honshu-- yeah, that's it, that's what I meant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Nords, does this also mean that Hawaii or Oahu is "bicycle friendly"?
I think so. I used to commute 2000-3000 miles/year for five years from Central Oahu to Pearl Harbor. Once you acclimate to the sweating, the most "difficult" parts of Hawaii commuting are rainy weather and the hills. Luckily work was downhill and home was uphill or I never would've left the house. I managed to put more commuting miles on the bike than on the car for three of those years.

There's a bike trail from Pearl Harbor all the way out to Waipahu that's perpetually a candidate for expansion to Kapolei. (Kapolei can be reached now by surface streets.) You can also get downtown from the Pearl Harbor end by a mix of surface streets, bike lanes, and parks. Almost every major/secondary road on the island has a bike lane or at least a wide shoulder. The most dangerous stretch of biking is off my back lanai (Roosevelt Bridge, a 1933 two-lane bridge with very narrow shoulders) and there's a plan to build a bike trail through the gulch to bypass that bridge.

When you can't stay off the streets, most drivers are pretty considerate to cyclists although some are careless. I don't believe that drivers are a problem-- I think it's the few bad-apple cyclists who jeopardize the reputation of everone else on wheels. Pedestrians also periodically attempt to take over the bike trails but they learn pretty quickly to stay to the side and pay attention.

On weekends I also see a lot of club rides on the North Shore. The Honolulu Bicycle League is active with "Bike Ed" in the schools and with lobbying the legislature for bike-trail improvements on all road projects. IMO it's right up there with San Diego. No legislator wants to run afoul of the Sierra Club or the HBL's "aloha" campaigns so they're pretty well received.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #47

Quote:

those silly-sounding mufflers.
- A huge floral script on the rear window of your SUV/pickup saying "In Loving Memory Of ________, 1927-2006", or words to that effect.

We call the mufflers fart cans

Window memorials??
I didn't,,,,but I could have retired by selling Dale Earnhardt #8 window memorials.

I'm now thinking about doing one that says--"Thanks for remembering me on your POS pickup Dude---Your buddy Dale"
Old 06-14-2007, 11:36 AM   #48

Quote:
Compact cars with rear-deck spoilers, fiberglas hoods, custom suspensions & lights, and those silly-sounding mufflers.

uh, wherever you have decent population of asians, you'll get the super modified small cars - like hondas...sup'd up engine, custom parts and whatever imported from japan...vroom vroom! now that i look back, i'm like, dude! relax, it's a honda!

it was waaay big when i was in high school (southern california)- every car had a serious bounce because they were lowered (springs cut) in someone's garage. there were the drag races - a la' fast and furious - but now that i'm back in the same hood, things have lightened up and it's not as serious as it used to be - back in the day!
Old 06-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Re: fart cans...

Why would you put a fancy-schmancy muffler system on a 4-cyl p.o.s that takes 10 sec. to accelerate to shift point??

Dallas-area drivers are rude, inattentive, selfish, cellphone-talking morons...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
uh, wherever you have decent population of asians, you'll get the super modified small cars - like hondas...sup'd up engine, custom parts and whatever imported from japan...vroom vroom! now that i look back, i'm like, dude! relax, it's a honda!
True. And in a hispanic community, you would find low-ride trucks, and hippie vans.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #51

Quote:
There's a bike trail from Pearl Harbor all the way out to Waipahu that's perpetually a candidate for expansion to Kapolei. (Kapolei can be reached now by surface streets.) You can also get downtown from the Pearl Harbor end by a mix of surface streets, bike lanes, and parks. Almost every major/secondary road on the island has a bike lane or at least a wide shoulder. The most dangerous stretch of biking is off my back lanai (Roosevelt Bridge, a 1933 two-lane bridge with very narrow shoulders) and there's a plan to build a bike trail through the gulch to bypass that bridge.

When you can't stay off the streets, most drivers are pretty considerate to cyclists although some are careless. I don't believe that drivers are a problem-- I think it's the few bad-apple cyclists who jeopardize the reputation of everone else on wheels. Pedestrians also periodically attempt to take over the bike trails but they learn pretty quickly to stay to the side and pay attention.

On weekends I also see a lot of club rides on the North Shore. The Honolulu Bicycle League is active with "Bike Ed" in the schools and with lobbying the legislature for bike-trail improvements on all road projects. IMO it's right up there with San Diego. No legislator wants to run afoul of the Sierra Club or the HBL's "aloha" campaigns so they're pretty well received.
Thanks. Sounds great.

I had no idea San Diego was also bicycle friendly. I was there several times, but was not paying attention. Anyone here from SD? Please share your observation.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:23 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Re: fart cans...

Why would you put a fancy-schmancy muffler system on a 4-cyl p.o.s that takes 10 sec. to accelerate to shift point??

Dallas-area drivers are rude, inattentive, selfish, cellphone-talking morons...
so you can feel like a tough guy and everyone, including the police, can hear you coming 500 ft away!

as for the dallas drivers, must be the socal transplants - sorry
Old 06-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
so you can feel like a tough guy and everyone, including the police, can hear you coming 500 ft away!
Good point...

Quote:
as for the dallas drivers, must be the socal transplants - sorry
I think transplants outnumber Texans...

HFWR, Hoosier transplant

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #54

About LaSalle County, IL:

We live in the Illinois River Valley with lots of nice scenery, and several very nice State parks within 15 to 30 minute ride. Lots of good places to fish, hunt, camp, hike, bike ride, etc. We're about 90 miles from Wisconsin, Indiana, and Iowa, and all (or none) of what they have to offer. Chicago is an easy 70-90 minute drive, so we get there once in a while sight-seeing, dining, Cubs games, museums, the Symphony, and Lake Michigan cruises.

We can fly out of O'Hare or Midway in Chicago, or out of Peoria, Bloomington, Rockford, or the Quad-Cities...they're all about the same distance. The nearest Amtrak station is about 1/2 hour away. And we have municipal bus service....and it's FREE. It's fine for those without their own wheels, but for the most part, it's a royal PITA.....lousy schedules and lousy routes!

We have four seasons: Winter's worst here is cold and snow in January and February, the rest is not too bad. Spring brings rainy, cold weather for March and most of April, again the rest is not too bad, as May and most of June is pleasant. Summer is nice, though the end of July and most of August can be quite hot and humid. And then there's Fall......usually perfect weather! Warm during the day and a little cool at night! And usually SPECTACULAR Fall colors!

We live in small-town America. Most everybody knows most everybody else, or is related to one of their relatives. Everyone knows the owners and the workers by name at most of the restaurants, grocery stores, and other businesses around here. The "mom & pop" businesses are still the 'norm' here, even though we have all of the 'big-boxes' around. The cost of living is pretty reasonable for the most part, and unemployment is fairly low. (and IL income tax is only 3%...and my pension is exempt!)

The best part of living here (for me) is that our home is paid for, the neighbors are great, the neighborhood is quiet, the crime rate is low, public services and utilities are excellent. Also the butcher shop and our favorite restaurant are only a couple blocks away, and grocery stores and the downtown area are only a few blocks further.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #55

Good:

Very low cost of living
Excellent public transportation
Free healthcare
Very low violent crime
As much fascinating history as you can handle
Excellent museums, art galleries, theater
Incredible architecture from over the centuries
Gorgeous countryside
Small population = not crowded
Beautiful Nordic women
Short inexpensive trips to other great European destinations
Very high tech and efficient
Beautiful snowy winters (this is a plus for me)

Bad:

Can't get Miracle Whip or Ziploc bags
Border with Russia

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:01 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Good:

Beautiful Nordic women

does your fiance/mommy to be read this thread? or is she in the above category!
Old 06-14-2007, 06:08 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
This used to be a big thing in Japan, too, though not as much lately -- there may be some inverse correlation with the state of the economy, I suppose. Kids would cruise around in "bousozoku" gangs in the middle of the night, with the goal of simply making as much noise as possible. Annoyingly, the police wouldn't do much of anything about it, because "gee, that would give the kids a record, which would ruin their futures!" The kids would also bend their license plates up at an angle to make them hard to read. Black lights, loud mufflers, Hawai`iana (hibiscus flower designs, plastic leis, etc.) and molded attachments reminiscent of lightning or the antennae on medieval Japanese helmets were all the rage, the last especially on tricked-out vans.

The really cool ones would get some hulking Detroit POS, and put little tiny wheels on it so that the bottom of the car would barely clear the pavement, giving the overall impression of an elephant wearing ballet slippers.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:23 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Window memorials??
I didn't,,,,but I could have retired by selling Dale Earnhardt #8 window memorials.
Heretic.

He was #3.

Dale Earnhardt #3 Merchandise & Gifts - NASCAR Merchandise & Gifts by Driver
Old 06-14-2007, 10:39 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You are correct---This has been a test
Old 06-15-2007, 05:59 AM   #60

Fun thread! Thanks, Wildcat for starting it. We are always looking for the "perfect" place, and it almost seems that there is no such thing. (I know, what's "perfect" for me isn't perfect for someone else...)

Pluses to where I live (outer suburbs of Baltimore):

- 2 cities easily reachable, but far enough away to avoid the problems and traffic
- Close enough to mountains or beaches for a quick trip
- I think this is the best weather (for me) - I love the change of seasons. We have hot weather in the summer (but it doesn't last too long) and snow in the winter (though usually not too much). Spring and fall are beautiful.
- We have 4 wooded acres with a stream and a log home, so it feels like we are somewhere else entirely, yet it's only 1.5 miles to Wal-Mart.
- We've downsized over the past 5 years (reference the downsizing thread) to 1800 sf, and we're very comfortable with that. Wish we had a garage, though.

Minuses:
- Our pace of life is slower than the city, but sometimes not slow enough. Lots of people have moved out here and are in a big hurry to commute to the city.
- We live on a nice back road that people are using more and more as a shortcut. They drive too fast, and leave their litter scattered around
- We live far out enough to have a redneck factor. (They drive their old beat-up pickup trucks too fast, and leave their beer bottles scattered around)
- I would like less maintenance, and a garage.

CJ