Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-15-2007, 07:34 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

yet it's only 1.5 miles to Wal-Mart.

----

That would be a big NEGATIVE to me!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2007, 07:54 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
yet it's only 1.5 miles to Wal-Mart.

----

That would be a big NEGATIVE to me!
Well, they have the best prices on flowers & garden things... this is very important!!

Too funny!

My parents live in the mountains of North Carolina, and it's beautiful, but if they need so much as a quart of milk, it takes them 25 minutes to get to town. That would make me crazy! I like the feeling of being "out" but without actually being too far from civilization (I know, I know - Wal-Mart probably doesn't count as civilization). How's this - I'm also only 1.5 miles from the public library! It's a tricky balance.

CJ

Old 06-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
........I like the feeling of being "out" but without actually being too far from civilization (I know, I know - Wal-Mart probably doesn't count as civilization)......
Reminds me of an email somebody sent me not too long ago:

"You might be a redneck if the biggest city you've ever been to was Wal-Mart."

Old 06-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sarasota,Fl
Beautiful city on the west coast of Florida with a very active arts community .Great beaches and restaurants ,Proximity to two airports ,Supreme shopping .
Negatives
Expensive ,expensive ,expensive
Old 06-15-2007, 09:10 AM   #65
Administrator

What I like about New Orleans - -
  • The Cajun/Creole/Italian/French/NewOrleanian food
  • The people, the multitude of cultures and languages, down to earth tough attitudes
  • America's only European city
  • The architecture, what's left of it
  • The history, the cemetaries, the spirituality that pervades this city
  • The music; jazz, blues, outstanding musicians on street corners and in dumpy bars everywhere
  • The art; from touristy paintings at Jackson Square, to higher tastes on Julia St.
  • The antiques!!! I just love shopping for antiques here. There are some amazing and breathtakingly beautiful things that would never show up elsewhere, and they are cheap if you know where to go.
What I don't like about New Orleans - -
  • Our levee/drainage system was badly damaged by Katrina, and we are not as well protected from storms as we were before.
  • Potholes are so bad that I have had a cracked tailbone that won't heal due to repeating injuries.
  • Crime is rampant and the status quo; what we have here is chaos, and law and order are the exception, not the rule.
  • Being surrounded by an avalanche of individual people's individual tragedies, constantly, that are too extreme and too common to even begin to make a dent in helping.
  • Louisiana politicians (corrupt, ignorant, self-serving).
  • Medical care decimated and getting worse by leaps and bounds since the storm (doctors can afford to leave, and many/most have, and hospitals were destroyed anyway).
  • Poor nursing homes and elder care.
  • Infrastructure badly damaged in general.
  • Traffic has been awful since the storm
I do plan to leave when I retire, but it is going to be very difficult to do so. Bittersweet. I must, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:00 AM   #66
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
What I like about New Orleans - -
  • The Cajun/Creole/Italian/French/NewOrleanian food
  • The people, the multitude of cultures and languages, down to earth tough attitudes
  • America's only European city
  • The architecture, what's left of it
  • The history, the cemetaries, the spirituality that pervades this city
  • The music; jazz, blues, outstanding musicians on street corners and in dumpy bars everywhere
  • The art; from touristy paintings at Jackson Square, to higher tastes on Julia St.
  • The antiques!!! I just love shopping for antiques here. There are some amazing and breathtakingly beautiful things that would never show up elsewhere, and they are cheap if you know where to go.
What I don't like about New Orleans - -
  • Our levee/drainage system was badly damaged by Katrina, and we are not as well protected from storms as we were before.
  • Potholes are so bad that I have had a cracked tailbone that won't heal due to repeating injuries.
  • Crime is rampant and the status quo; what we have here is chaos, and law and order are the exception, not the rule.
  • Being surrounded by an avalanche of individual people's individual tragedies, constantly, that are too extreme and too common to even begin to make a dent in helping.
  • Louisiana politicians (corrupt, ignorant, self-serving).
  • Medical care decimated and getting worse by leaps and bounds since the storm (doctors can afford to leave, and many/most have, and hospitals were destroyed anyway).
  • Poor nursing homes and elder care.
  • Infrastructure badly damaged in general.
  • Traffic has been awful since the storm
I do plan to leave when I retire, but it is going to be very difficult to do so. Bittersweet. I must, though.
And I forgot to mention the tons and tons of mold, and rat population explosion, rude Texas contractors who drive huge trucks and don't give a hoot about anybody or anything, huge influx of Mexican and Central American illegals since the storm, sky-high rents, skyrocketing insurance rates for those lucky enough to even get homeowners' insurance, empty storm-damaged homes everywhere that have become crack houses or worse, and the constant news coverage saying that we are not safe (surprise?) - - we've got to get out of here.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:58 AM   #67

This thread is a little distressing for me since some of you live in great places and mine (suburban Atlanta) seems to pale in comparison! Moved here 20 years ago for DH's job and have remained due to inertia and the requirements of health insurance to remain in the area or lose coverage.

Positives
* Weather (4 seasons, mild winter)
* Relatively low cost of living
* Cultural stuff
* High concentration of Asians (= good restaurants and food shopping for us)
* Excellent county, state, and federal parks

Negatives
* Traffic
*Crime
* Soulless (Atlanta has always been a place of commerce/transportation/
marketing---it all revolves around money, making it and
spending it)
* Conservative (politics and religion)
Old 06-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Seattle. A wonderful city with only 2 real negatives. An awful lot of depressing dreary weather, and a very high cost of living, especially housing. For some another negative is no salt water warm enough to swim in.

People in this thread have often emphasized what is an easy drive away. For me, even when I was in my 20s, what mattered to me was what there was that I liked right where I was. In Seattle there is very much to like. And only the Bay Area or coastal Socal can compare for lovely summers.

Traffic sucks but if you are rich, or own a home bought before the run-up, or rent in the city you can avoid much of it.

Ha
Old 06-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ha -

No bikini season in Seattle right?
Old 06-15-2007, 04:49 PM   #70
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Northern Minnesota on the edge of Lake Superior:

Pluses: Many beautiful parks with walking trails and cross country skiing trails right in town. Beautiful big lake. Lots of small lakes and rivers nearby for kayaking and canoing. Not at all crowded. Cool here close to the lake. (Today will be 65 to 70 near the lake, 85 away from the lake). Our flower gardens. Walking out the door and to the lake walk, which will take me all the way downtown. Family nearby. Our next door neighbors are nice. Housing in inexpensive. Farmer's market 5 blocks away. Grocery store is 3 blocks. Co-op less than a mile away.
Northern Minnesota is the historic home of my family (Dad born in Hibbing). I remember going there as a kid in the summer to visit relatives in Duluth, Hibbing and Babbitt (they were all miners on the Mesabi Range). I thought it was beautiful. We swam and boated in the lakes and ran around outside a lot.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:02 PM   #71

London ON, the centre of the Universe.

Very close to the beaches of the lower Great Lakes. 30 minutes to Erie, 45 minutes to Huron, 90 minutes to Ontario.

Some of the best farmland in the world.

Safe city 2 hours from Detroit, Toronto, or Niagara.

Booming manufacturing region, Toyota, Ford, GM, served by A1 transportation network.

Superlative medical facilities. (see Michael Moore's "Sicko"). No worries about care.

We are on a 0.3 acre lot with a small pond and landscaped to perfection by the Zippers. White Pine, Columnar English Oak, Red Oak, Sugar Maple, Japanese Red Maple, Gingko, Blue Spruce, and Dogwood.

As mentioned last year, I use coffee grounds from a local Starbucks to supercharge my compost. I never have to add fertilizer to the flower beds.

We have tons of hummingbirds and butterflies.

Balancing everything is a "shi**ty winter with lots of snow.

Looking back though, I can truthfully say that the climate is changing.

Summer is longer now and winter is shorter in my lifetime (1943).

The growing season in Southwestern ON is definitely longer.

Khan we have corn here from fencerow to fencerow too.

Mother Zipper receives a U.S. R.R. pension cheque each month. 5 years ago she was getting ~$1.50 C. Now she get's less than $1.10.

On the other hand when we go Stateside we are almost @par.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:17 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Ha -

No bikini season in Seattle right?
Oh, I wouldn't say that. Late July, August and September are suitable for those with suitable figures. Just don't tell anyone.

Salt water swimming? A "Japanese current" can be found off some of the San Juan (or Gulf) islands. Generally speaking a wet suit or surfer's suit serves as both as insulator and flotation for those who wish to swim or dive in the salt water in the NW. The water temp isn't much different than N. CA.

The kids start wearing shorts in March. It didn't matter to my son that he had goose-bumps on his legs - it is almost as if by wearing shorts you could coax out the sun.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Manhatten:

1) the food!!!
2) the random craziness that you can see (the entertaining kind, not the scary kind)
3) being so close to 3 major airports, most trips are a direct flight for us, which is really nice & saves time
4) the fooooooood!!!
5) dog-watching. I love dog-watching
6) the museums, especially the Met
7) having so many cultural experiences at my fingertips (which I don't take enough advantage of, but I'm working on it).
8) meeting so many different kinds of people, with different histories & experiences & contacts
9) did I mention the food?