Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-26-2007, 07:12 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

[quote=bright eyed;593332 i do the color on my own for about $5 every 6-8 weeks.

i must say, i do look like i just stepped out of a salon...

[/quote]

The few times I've colored my own hair it was a disaster .I looked like Lucille Ball with dry hair .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2007, 07:21 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

$0. Been cutting my own since I stopped working, and I cut Gabes too. So far my wife isnt taking the bait.

I can do at least as good a job as a basic barber shop haircut, and Gabes looks way better than the standard bowl cut most 3 year olds seem to be getting.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:38 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$28.00 plus a $7.00 tip. I get a haircut about every six weeks. My wife will shear my neck about every two weeks ( I think she doesn't charge me, but I'm not quite sure about this). I know it's time to get a haircut when my eyebrows become noticiably (sp)? grey and bushy.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:17 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I pay $29 every 6 weeks or so for a wet cut (I walk out with it still wet). My stylist charges $46 to cut and comb, and I don't like the way he combs. So I only let him cut. I usually tip about $5. I color my own hair, those pesky grays are easy to turn red. I trim my own neckline in the shower between cuts.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:33 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Uh oh, seems like we have a lot of redheads.

Redheads are huge, huge trouble.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:53 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The few times I've colored my own hair it was a disaster .I looked like Lucille Ball with dry hair .
my color's easy, one step - nothing fancy - and dark brown - no highlights or anything to lift...if it was more complicated i wouldn't do it myself - although i have tried in my younger days when i didn't have to try to squeeze it in between kiddy naps etc...

you can get professional color supplies at the beauty supply and the cost difference is huge! i also do my mom's color. cut my daughter's hair and no, they don't have bowl cuts! used to cut my own when it was short, but got over doing that...
Old 12-26-2007, 09:04 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe red is a stretch, let's say warm auburn. No the trouble is in the men that we attract, we are prefectly safe.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:31 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
$15 per cut plus $5 tip...about 4x a year. Enjoy the company of my "stylist" more than the experience itself!

BF shaves the "dome" daily, so razors run him some $$ - probably $20/mo (?)....doing it yourself does not always save $$$
Huh! I buy a $20.00 Norelco rotary every 2 years for $30.00. (replacement blades are $28.00, figure that). I use it on my face and give a quick run all over my head not trying to get it anywhere near perfect. Then I use the new Gillette Fusion on my head in the shower. Blades last one month as pruning the noggin with the Norelco makes the Fusion blade work less, also less pulling. I alternate between a squirt of hand cream and just regular soap instead of shaving cream.

About $50-60 a year.

W
Old 12-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlip View Post
Ge whizz, that tipping thing in the US is weird. It sure complicates life when even on a haircut, you all seem to have set a price in your mind as to what you will pay including the tip, but you all have to do mental arithmetic to ensure that you give the tip you want to give.

Not only that, it is obviously not a spur-of-the-moment decision as you all know in advance what tip you will give so it is no reward for good service at all.

Do you tip motor mechanics as well? Electricians? Postmen?
i've been with the same barber for about 20 years. she only keeps half her fee, the rest goes to rent her space in the store. once a month for 45 minutes she has sharp scissors to my scalp. why would i even consider tipping any less than i do a waiter who spends all of 7 minutes on me or a bartender who spends all of 56 seconds. why do i tip the bartender? because i like it when he doesn't delay on servicing my thirst just like i like it when my barber doesn't draw blood. also if i have an appointment after being with her it's nice to know she'll shampoo me again to get all the little cut hairs off.

as to the math, when i can no longer figure the percentage of a tab, just shoot me.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlip View Post
Do you tip motor mechanics as well? Electricians? Postmen?
Nope. Though a fair number of folks will give the mail carrier something at Christmas.

Coach
Old 12-26-2007, 11:25 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife cuts my hair for free. Haven't been to a barber in a few years.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:44 PM   #52

wahl clippers from target lasted me 5 years so far....once a week i shave it off....
Old 12-27-2007, 09:33 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
a fair number of folks will give the mail carrier something at Christmas.
Heres a tip for mine: dont piss me off!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:25 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Just the cost of the electricity to run the clippers and vacuum cleaner to clean up afterwards...I cut my own with a set of clippers. I have very straight short hair and was paying someone $15 + tip to cut my hair up until 2 years ago. One time it didn't come out as well as I'd hoped so I took out the clippers to even it out. I've been doing my own haircuts ever since...saves me about $140 per year.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:53 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm impressed with how many in this group cut (or shave) their own hair. When I suggest it to my DW, she acts like I've asked her to do brain surgery on me or something. :confused:

So, I pay $10 every couple months, no tip. (Full disclosure: DW & DD go to same guy, and they pay a whole lot more, plus a nice tip.)

He used to charge me $12 ten or fifteen years ago. But one day he said it would be $10, something about there not being enough hair anymore to justify the full $12. I hadn't noticed, but maybe he knows what he's talking about, he's the pro.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #56

I'm surprised nobody has one of these (or tried to rig their own version):
Flowbee Info and Testimonials

hehe, i swear, my dad had one to cut the dog's hair...poor puppy...
Old 12-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I had a thingy made to cut animal hair with that used a vacuum. Looked like a blow dryer but worked in reverse and had a spinning blade inside of it with a slotted guard over it.. Used to use it on the old himalayan cat we had before the poor thing passed away. I'd take her down to about 1/2" when summer rolled around, she'd grow it right back out again by late fall.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

$12 plus a $5 tip.

Recently, I've been thinking more and more about buying a pair of clippers goin' for the #4 look.

I really wasn't planning on having a full head of hair at this point in my life. Dad was bald by 30, older brother bald by 30 and younger brother balding at 22. Guess I got the good genes.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:10 PM   #59

OK, this is one area where I don't skimp...spend $105 every 8 to 10 weeks for hi-lights, cut, and blow dry. That's around $630/yr if I go every 8 weeks. I try to stretch it out as long as I can, but those darn roots get the best of me!

I'm thinking of trying one of those root touch-up kits. My friend knows someone who does this at about the 6 week mark, and it works well enough that she can go 12 weeks before needing professional lites again.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:00 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to imnxpat
I'm another "freeloader" whose wife cuts his hair, which she has been gracious enough to do for me for several years now.