Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-27-2007, 10:57 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

The way my hair has been thinning and hairline receding, I would have thought the price of my haircuts would go down. But I am still paying $12 a pop. But I only go about once every 2 months so I guess I can afford it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2007, 12:28 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I had a thingy made to cut animal hair with that used a vacuum. Looked like a blow dryer but worked in reverse and had a spinning blade inside of it with a slotted guard over it.. Used to use it on the old himalayan cat we had before the poor thing passed away.
um, what did it die of, a heart attack?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:50 AM   #63

In Thailand $2.00; in the Philippines $1.25.

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:54 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
OK, this is one area where I don't skimp...spend $105 every 8 to 10 weeks for hi-lights, cut, and blow dry. That's around $630/yr if I go every 8 weeks. I try to stretch it out as long as I can, but those darn roots get the best of me!

I'm thinking of trying one of those root touch-up kits. My friend knows someone who does this at about the 6 week mark, and it works well enough that she can go 12 weeks before needing professional lites again.
Hi simple girl,

You might want to give it at least one try. The modern hair color kits are pretty easy to use. I was spending big bucks on haircolor and hair cuts for years. Then my hair stylist quit this past summer. I hate changing stylists!! My mom suggested that I try doing it myself. She recommended the Revlon Colorspa line because it washes out after 28 shampoos so you can't permanently screw up your hair. I read the package inserts for many systems and picked one to try. I got a lot of compliments both at work and from family on how nice it looked.

I had my husband cut my hair to see how that would work. First cut was great. Second cut, well, thank goodness my hair grows out quickly. Jury is still out on that one. But I can do the coloring myself now! My thinking is that when I retire early I plan to do a lot of travel and I don't want to be tied down to my hair stylists' schedule.

Cheers!
--Linney
Old 12-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
um, what did it die of, a heart attack?
Actually she liked her haircuts. Poor thing suffered in the heat with the long hair. The unit itself was almost completely silent and I had it hooked to a 20' hose to the central house vac.

But I think she did have a heart attack. She was pretty darn old when she showed up on our doorstep...I'm guessing 15 or 16. She lived another 6.5 years and that was one decrepit, albeit happy cat. She caught her claws in a rug (old cats have trouble retracting), and trying to get herself loose I think she panicked a little and had a heart attack.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #66

I have been cutting my own with clippers and scissors....was 11 bucks a shot when I was having it done....no flowbee

Wow, this is the 2nd thread that I have seen suggesting tipping the mailman I wonder what REW got his guy this year
Old 12-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #67

I pay $10 for the average haircut, since I am just an average Joe. I still have a full head of hair. You would think the barber shops would pro-rate or discount for the half head hair folks. Wearing a hat all the time hides a head that needs a haircut. That's a good tip from Redbug... What's the difference between a good and a bad haircut? (Answer's at the bottom of my post)...

I have wondered about those Flobee's, also. Are they as good as advertised? We also have a long haired cat named Sammy Cat. He was a stray I picked up out at the Hunt Club. That Flobee might be just the ticket for the two of us. Sammy Cat may decide once is enough, though. He likes being "broomed", but not vaccumed.

Boy, I'm glad I'm not a woman. That's a lot of money to have to spend in a lifetime for hair. Our society sure makes some awful demands...

We gave the mailman a bottle of wine for Xmas. He's real nice and another Federal employee. We compare benefits, sometimes. I hope all the mail got delivered that day...

A= About two weeks.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:34 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
I wonder what REW got his guy this year
Mine got 60lbs of cast iron pans. And that was just the first load!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:56 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
$15 here and $5 in PV. I get it cut more often in PV because of the heat.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:09 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linney View Post
Hi simple girl,

You might want to give it at least one try. The modern hair color kits are pretty easy to use. I was spending big bucks on haircolor and hair cuts for years. Then my hair stylist quit this past summer. I hate changing stylists!! My mom suggested that I try doing it myself. She recommended the Revlon Colorspa line because it washes out after 28 shampoos so you can't permanently screw up your hair. I read the package inserts for many systems and picked one to try. I got a lot of compliments both at work and from family on how nice it looked.

I had my husband cut my hair to see how that would work. First cut was great. Second cut, well, thank goodness my hair grows out quickly. Jury is still out on that one. But I can do the coloring myself now! My thinking is that when I retire early I plan to do a lot of travel and I don't want to be tied down to my hair stylists' schedule.

Cheers!
--Linney
I'd love to be able to do it myself. However, I prefer a highlighted look over an all one color look. Plus, I'm a blonde (dark blonde), and when I did the all over color at the salon they had to do a double process on my hair (lift and tone). I've heard that type of process is really tough on your hair. My hair is really fine so I don't want to damage it excessively. Highlights are less damaging to the hair since all the hair isn't lightened.

However, highlights are really tough to do (It takes my stylist an hour just to put my hair in all the individual foils. She does LOTS of foils so that the sections are small, and it blends really well. I had one stylist -if you can call her that - who didn't do that, and I ended up looking like a blonde skunk!). So, I don't think I could completely go without a professional, but if I can manage to highlight just my roots (doing the part area only) perhaps that will reduce costs. I really hate spending so much money on it but I feel like crap when my hair looks like crap!

Maybe when I am retired someday I'll be more adventurous with coloring on my own...nothing like screwing up your hair and having to face all your coworkers the next day!

I do cut my own bangs periodically as needed. I had my DH cut the back (I have long straight hair) for me once. Ok, it's just straight across, shouldn't be tough, right? Let's just say that experiment didn't go well!

I'm sure this is all TMI for the guys on the list!

OK, I call myself simple girl, but I'll admit I'm not so simple when it comes to my hair

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:25 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

[quote=simple girl;594003 it but I feel like crap when my hair looks like crap!

r[/quote]

Me Too ! I spend way too much on my hair but I've seen some pretty awful dye jobs and I'm not ready to go gray or whatever color is under there .
Old 12-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #72

Quote:
I'd love to be able to do it myself. However, I prefer a highlighted look over an all one color look. Plus, I'm a blonde (dark blonde), and when I did the all over color at the salon they had to do a double process on my hair (lift and tone). I've heard that type of process is really tough on your hair. My hair is really fine so I don't want to damage it excessively. Highlights are less damaging to the hair since all the hair isn't lightened.

However, highlights are really tough to do (It takes my stylist an hour just to put my hair in all the individual foils. She does LOTS of foils so that the sections are small, and it blends really well. I had one stylist -if you can call her that - who didn't do that, and I ended up looking like a blonde skunk!). So, I don't think I could completely go without a professional, but if I can manage to highlight just my roots (doing the part area only) perhaps that will reduce costs. I really hate spending so much money on it but I feel like crap when my hair looks like crap!

Maybe when I am retired someday I'll be more adventurous with coloring on my own...nothing like screwing up your hair and having to face all your coworkers the next day!

I do cut my own bangs periodically as needed. I had my DH cut the back (I have long straight hair) for me once. Ok, it's just straight across, shouldn't be tough, right? Let's just say that experiment didn't go well!

I'm sure this is all TMI for the guys on the list!

OK, I call myself simple girl, but I'll admit I'm not so simple when it comes to my hair
yeah, that does not sound like a do-it-yourself job!
Old 12-28-2007, 04:11 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

(presume I made some clever comment about cuffs and collars here)

(try as I might, I cant seem to get myself into trouble lately...)
Old 12-29-2007, 02:04 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Actually, I did the overall color and then I did the highlights on top of that. My stylist has always done both so having a solid color doesn't look right to me. The home kits don't require foils. You can apply the highlights for just a touch-up or you can do it throughout your whole head of hair. It took me about 30 minutes the first time, going slowly and methodically.

Quote:
I'm an engineering manager so showing up with clean hair more than meets the job expectations here.

Quote:
If my hair stylist hadn't quit, I would NEVER have tried to do this on my own. I'm like you -- my hair affects my mood. I'm sure glad this little experiment worked out (thanks mom!)

--Linney
Old 12-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Current guy I use charges $12. He has a price chart that reads "$10 for age 60 and over". Just 6 1/2 more years for a price reduction. Who says inflation is the only thing I have to look forward to?
Old 12-29-2007, 10:04 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

$0.00

Thank God my best girl friend from high school and I are still good friends. She works at a trendy salon and cuts my hair for free. Okay, well, she still probably has a crush me.

Actually, I'll buy her a coffee or lunch/dinner once in a while as payback, but that is nowhere near how much she charges males for a haircut ($65 + tip).

I used to pay ~$12 before seeing her consistently.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:04 AM   #77
Administrator

About hair coloring - -

Last year I got a huge promotion at work. Women at my present level at my work pay $120-$150 every six weeks at the hairdresser (they all dye their hair because they are all of an age where their natural color is gray, and just about all of them go to the same salon because it is the best around).

I actually like my gray/white hair and it looks natural with my skin. Now, if I was still on the way up, I might reluctantly consider going to that salon and having it colored. But since I plan to ER in less than 23 months, there is no way I am going to spend my hard-earned money to meet someone else's idea of what makes a 59-year-old woman look good. I guess I'm just a rebel!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:54 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I've seen some women look great with gray hair .I'm not one of them .The color actually gives my hair body .A good friend of mine stopped coloring her hair and when she went to the doctor's with her boyfriend they asked if she was his mother .That would have me running back to the bottle .
Old 12-29-2007, 12:54 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Old haircut thread with flowbee comments

No more haircut
Old 12-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #80

$14 plus $6 tip, includes shaving (with a straight edge razor), back massage, and hot towel. I love getting my haircut every 3 months from the ladies who run this shop which has around 10 chairs. My father was a barber for many years and getting a haircut brings back good memories for me.