Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #21

Calmloki, the 76 Airstream, though surely not as pretty as your '56 Chevy, does require a good bit of maintenance, as do those 96 & 97 Saturns and the 84 Mercedes and 84 Chevy truck.

I'm surprised how much maintenance and repair costs are every year for the POS fleet, but then put them in perspective to new car payment/taxes/insurance.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In 2007 and 2008, my big expenditure was travel (2 cruises and Berlin, Germany) with my daughter. This year...no travel since daughter is now working and I'm too chicken, so far, to travel by myself. Spent the night before last in a local hotel while I was bug bombing my basement. Does that count as travel? At least it got me out of the house.

This year, since my house is now 10 years old, my largest expenditures were house related. Bought a new dishwasher, new hot water heater, new bed and night stand. I actually feel guilty some times about buying bed and night stand, but, this is the first nice (wood) bed I have ever purchased.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I would say travel is our big expenditure. We take several trips a year. We are off tomorrow for two weeks in NM to escape the heat in TX. We spent a week in New Orleans in June, didn't manage to escape the heat there....In September we are off to Europe for three weeks. We have four cruises planned to the caribean in Jan. and Feb. to escape the cold.

We live very cheaply when at home. We don't eat out a bunch or buy a lot of consumer goods. My husband is in to photography so he buys camera equipment. I don't spend much on clothing, but I do buy good clothing when I make a purchase.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Income taxes and other mandatory deductions (pension, Medicare). 40-some percent (will know exactly at the end of the year)

Home and rental mortgage, insurance, taxes, repair, and upkeep. 30-some percent.

There, we have at least 75% of our income all taken care of. The remaining bits and bobs get invested. With what's left, we buy health insurance, grocery and liquor store items, gasoline, the occasional haircut, gym fees, athletic shoes. Aperiodic splurges on hobby supplies - I spent over $200.00 on beads this year. We don't eat out, but we eat very well at home.

I would call us ascetic by Firedreamer's definition, but not Alan's,heaven forfend
Old 07-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Calmloki, the 76 Airstream, though surely not as pretty as your '56 Chevy, does require a good bit of maintenance, as do those 96 & 97 Saturns and the 84 Mercedes and 84 Chevy truck.

I'm surprised how much maintenance and repair costs are every year for the POS fleet, but then put them in perspective to new car payment/taxes/insurance.
My 37 year newer BMW work truck gets bare minimum to keep it rolling and has cost about 1/7th what the free acquisition '56 has. so far.
">">

Do you get out there with the polish to make your Airstream all shiny?
Old 07-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I forgot to mention that I occasionally spend money on "Little Souls Dolls ". They are handmade dolls made by artist Gretchen Wilson and dressed in antique children's clothes . I am a sucker for them . Here are a few of mine .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (532.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 026.jpg (784.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 07-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

sushi, books.

books, sushi.

Eating out at my favorite Japanese restaurant generally involves sushi, and I bring a book.

It's my big weekly (more or less) thrill.

Sad, I know

ta,
mew
Old 07-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mews View Post
sushi, books.

books, sushi.

Eating out at my favorite Japanese restaurant generally involves sushi, and I bring a book.

It's my big weekly (more or less) thrill.

Sad, I know

ta,
mew
No saki?
Old 07-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #29

Travel is our biggest expense that most folks would call a splurge, but much of our travel is home leave and paid by megac*rp. Once we FIRE most of our travel will be domestic, and most will be in the "yet to be acquired" RV or trailer (which will be a well considered splurge when we finally get to it). Other things are exercise equipment, computers (big ones at home, netbooks to travel), occasional blunders (like a $900 or so iPhone bill, acquired by just turning the doggone thing on for a week while overseas and not turning off automatic email checks, video camera battery dropped thru the cracks of a hiking bridge, etc).

We don't eat out much anymore...tired of it, can't eat as much as I could before, the portions sizes just keep getting bigger, and lots of places aren't happy when you share a meal. Even then, one meal can be more than the two of us can eat if we have also ordered an appetizer to share.

R
Old 07-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #30

After 35 years of LYBM and then having my mega-corp options hit the big time (even followed by a 70% meltdown now improved to 50%) we spend it on anything that pleases us (travel, kids and cars mostly).

SWR is still below 3.2% and who knows what the future will hold. Was it Bernstein who suggested that a 30 year retirement was impossible, no matter what WR was assumed, for those in continental Europe retiring any time between 1900 and 1946?
Old 07-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Good food (grocery and farmer market)

Person who does yard work

Person who does house work

Occasional electronic gadget
Old 07-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
In my dictionary (Merriam Webster), "asceticism" was only defined as "the practice of self-denial, austerity", so I thought it was appropriate... YMMV. I guess it depends how literal you want to be!
Just teasing. I simply googled it and the on-line Merriam Webster is "practicing strict self-denial as a measure of personal and especially spiritual discipline"

The Oxford English on-line dictionary is "strictly self-disciplined and avoiding any sensory pleasures or luxuries."

...but I got a giggle at the Wikipedia definition which I know is a lot less reliable than Meriam-Webster or OED.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Good food (grocery and farmer market)

Person who does yard work

Person who does house work

Occasional electronic gadget
Also have been giving money away (small amounts to personal causes).
Old 07-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #34

DW spends her cash on Scrap Booking stuff.

Mine would be electronic gadgets, computer stuff, xbox games for grand kids,

However, it is not much different in RE as it was when we w#rked. We pay the bills, insure reserves funds are there, and spend the rest on what ever we want to at the time.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

We give quite a bit to our church and to kids/grandkids.
We don't dine out much but we do spend freely for the groceries we like.
Travel is important to us. We take 5 to 7 trips per year, mainly in the western U.S.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Food, travel, electronics, kids (still). I don't feel like we scrimp.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:17 AM   #37

Most of our discretionary income is going to savings right now. After retirement we found that we could have lots of time or lots of money, but not both. That's part of the reason I went back to work, and the bulk of the money I'm earning now we'll spend when I'm not working. I'd like to travel more but DW does not travel well, so instead I bought a small boat ($2k with 5hp outboard and gear) and a motorcycle ($12k). While the acquisition cost of the bike was fairly high, at almost 50 mpg it's cheap to run. I couldn't sell her on the idea of a travel trailer.

While the weather is decent the motorcycle is enough for me. Since we didn't grow up in this area there are still surprises to be found and I like to just follow a road to see where it goes. I may end up getting some camping gear to take on the bike to extend that.

I'm also thinking of a bicycle for the C&O Canal, but I'd have to truck the bicycle there and that's a pain, and I'm not sure I'd use it often enough to make the purchase/storage worthwhile. Bicycling on roads around here is not an option as one would have a life expectancy of about 20 minutes. I'll probably find a used one eventually and if I like it a lot may invest in a very nice one.

DW spends a lot of time dealing with her family's issues of an 83-year-old father who doesn't want to admit that his driving days are nearly over and that he can't afford the house he's in, and a learning-challenged niece with two working parents. What she does costs little or nothing but takes a lot of time - she's over there usually about 3 times a week. She's put almost 90,000 miles on a 6-year-old car, the bulk of it running back and forth so there is that expense, and the coming expense of replacing the car when it does wear out. We'll get a Honda Fit or something similar then.

We do eat well at home, perhaps four times a month at a wide range of restaurants.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I scared up a couple of jobs from my old employer last year for discretionary spending money and am doing the same this year, though to a much lesser extent.

Inflatable kayak
recumbent bike
RV trip to texas, stayed in very nice "campground" outside the world birding center
baby stuff, including clothes, crib, urban assault stroller, etc.
beading supplies
electronics

Next year I anticipate the discretionary spending will mostly be for another winter trip, plus maybe a train trip.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Netflix at $30/month (4 discs + Blu-Ray).
Cable w/HD and DVR $100/month.
Eating out $300/month.
Various Martial Arts training/trips (variable, has been as much as $200/month)
Cats $200+/month (we've had several sick cats in the last year)
Lawn mowing $100/month -- not going to do that myself
Rarely used land phone line $36/month

Of course, health care (including insurance) this year trumps everything else at $1300/month for the two of us, but then that's not really discretionary spending.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
No saki?
Good idea, we always order that, also with Vietnamese food. It does feel like we are living it up.

I thought I would spend more on eating out but find that in retirement it’s easy to keep the kitchen stocked and to make my own healthful foods. So, that frees up part of the budget for other things. Also, being away from the house for fewer hours than when I w*rked means I don’t get hungry when I’m out.

Biggest recent splurge was opera tickets. SO & other friends can be dragged to the opera house once a year or two and I actually like to go by myself without the distraction of someone who doesn’t want to be there. They sold me a subscription in the first row, dead center of my preferred section which is a very good deal. I also budget a lot for various theater & music events. I’ve stopped buying CDs, there are too many in the house.

There seems to be some slack in my budget so I’m reconsidering hiring a cleaning lady again, maybe well into next year, no rush. I don’t seem to need much new stuff or clothes as I have too much and the major things like TV & other electronics are still good.

I get $25 coupons from Amazon.com every month or two and have a little trouble spending them, the last one went for a book and three packages of ground coffee; I added $11.00 to that order but would have bought coffee anyway. I could confine my frivolous splurges to those coupons. I’m buying a lot of books & magazines for the Kindle and now prefer getting the morning news that way.