Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am sure I said this in one of the earlier threads, but I am getting my post count up..

Retiring at 39, for the first few years I used I am semi-retired. Then I said I do financial planning part time, some truth to this statement (since I did manage girlfriend and mom's money) Some where in my late 40s I simple said I am retired, while flashing a very large smile.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was never so lucky to win an IPO lottery, but friends who did, did have the problem you described. They usually answered the query vaguely by saying they were an engineer for XYZ company but are taking some time off before deciding what to do next. As far as I know no one ever followed up by asking how long they had been deciding, which has now stretched to over 20 years. At some point I hope they will just say they are retired.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumpyguy View Post
Thanks! Most of these are fairly old. I'd be curious to hear some new responses.
This is a rather "ageless" question, so the age of the posts shouldn't matter. The responses haven't changed since 2006.

We pretty much answered "we're retired" from day 1 even though I was still 39 on that day. We kept it pretty low key - but still would get the question now and then. Yep - we got the "but you're too young!" response for the first few years. It's almost never asked now - probably because we are around mostly other retirees. It's almost 15 years now.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I left my position as a senior exec and member of the global executive committee at my former company, I told my colleagues that I was going on sabbatical. I told my PA that I was going to semi retire, but take a few months off before deciding what to do next, next being part-time or non-executive director.

I'm now 15 months in, and I can't even think about going back to the corporate world without nearly having an anxiety attack. My blood pressure definitely goes up (significantly) when I think about it, and I've even measured it to be sure. Recently I even turned down a request to speak at a conference in my former industry, due to the anxiety that even pondering it caused me.

So, now I just say I'm retired. I no longer have any significant desire to consult or sit on a board, although I might if the right opportunity arose.

I'm not in OP's target demographic. I had just turned 51 when it was announced that I would leave megacorp, and I'm 52 now.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:53 AM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I personally don't give a flying reproductive act what people think.
+1, seems this mentality gets easier the older you get.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I am a misanthropic introvert.
Yes, out of consideration for others and an expression of my innate nobility, I try to live in such a way that no one will be sad when I'm gone.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I plan to say that I've left work having developed a severe ocular gluteal incongruity. Just can't see my a** at work anymore.
woodguy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:42 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I stopped worrying about what other people think a long time ago. Trust me, their thoughts are over rated.

so true! I just tell them "I work for myself".
KiraC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the poster raises an excellent point. I have been contemplating the same question. I am in my early 40s with 2.5 years until I retire. Having always been financially successful I have felt the jealousy for many years even though we live way below our means. I cannot imagine how many of those same people will react when they learn I have retired by 45.

I am thinking I will tell them that I am "transitioning away from ______ to do ________". Thats all they really need to know, whether its true or not. I think it can be dangerous to let others know you are FI. . .
Travelwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't understand what the big fuss is about with the word "retired". Myself, I can't wait to be able to say I'm retired, and won't care what people think when they hear me say it. Of course, I'm in my late 40's, not 30's, so it won't have quite as big an impact, but still...

In fact, one of the first things I plan to do the day after I walk out the door is update my LinkedIn, and change my title to "Retired" and delete all those connections with people I'll never see nor communicate with again.

"Sabbatical" implies I might go back to work again, which isn't true. I'll be "Retired" and damn proud of it.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #31

What I find more interesting than the actual responses is the underlying philosophies. Seems some folks want to slam the work door shut and nail it closed, while others are more ambivalent; willing, perhaps, to consider an amazing opportunity at any point and also perhaps having a broader definition of "work". I definitely fall into the latter camp while DW falls into the former.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

An interesting discussion ... and the old threads are great too.

I may not be fully qualified to comment as I haven't yet RE'd ... but I hadn't given it a lot of thought until I started mentioning to one of my more friendly work colleagues that I was thinking about getting out in the next year or two ... maybe sooner. Then I quickly realized I will need a suitable answer for people at the office since in my role/level/profession (NEO of public co) just about no-one leaves voluntarily - they keep cashing the paychecks and stock comp and some are too bound by the golden handcuffs to go away -- unless and until the Board/CEO asks them to go, their health fails and forces them out or their megacorp is sold to another (and the new owners don't need two of any senior people around).

I am leaning toward the sabbatical or semi-ER answer for the short term. That one is accurate and there is of course enough stress in these jobs to justify it. It also takes health off the table so people don't get concerned. It's also more palatable to most than 'retired' and all of its rocking chair unwarranted connotations.
TallTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #33

I am semi retired...have been since 35...going on 5 yrs now I tell people the truth, that I could not stand the corporate life and wanted something different. Some try to suggest jobs for me...kind of funny and cute! You don't have to explain it to people if you don't want to
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote