What do you think about tattoos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plantman

Recycles dryer sheets
When I was young it seemed like only guys who were in the military had tattoos. Nowadays almost everyone has them. I don't have any so I guess I'm in the minority now. I find some of them fascinating and others not so much. When and where did this trend start? I find it funny that many people claim to have no money, but they are all inked up. No wonder they are broke, those tattoos aren't cheap!

My Dad had a tiny blue tattoo on his chest that I thought was a headless dancer standing on one leg. He said it was a dagger through a heart, that he'd gotten on a bet when he was 17. He was in his 50's when I was little, so that taught me what can happen with tattoos over time!

Most people I know, don't have any visible tattoos. I see them on people at the gym (where the tattoo is more likely to be exposed) or people who come to work on our house.

I enjoy looking at well-executed tattoos, and asking people what the different designs mean. Most people love to be asked. Never got one myself, as I could never settle on a design that was sure to be to my taste throughout life. Mr. A. feels the same way.

To paraphrase a wise man (I believe it was Haha), I've never seen one that improved the landscape.

I won't get one, but I love to look at them. I want to ask, " will you roll up your sleeve so I can see the rest of it?" but I don't. I hate to stare, but some tattoos are really cool. Do the people with tattoos care if you try to really look at them?

I have natural tattoos as in age spots. Don't need anything extra.

Never wanted to give the G-men a chance to put a tattoo down on my most wanted poster as a distinguishing mark. Awful lot of tattoos look like scribbles with a felt marker to me.

Both DGF and I don't have any and in general don't think it improves the look of anyone.

I have one on each forearm - got them when I was 14...young and stupid. Loved them for 6 months, hated them for 60+ years.

I look at people with arms covered in them now and shudder. Was on one ship, last year or the year before, a guy in his 50s with an almost new 'sleeve' on one arm.....and thought "Young and stupid is one thing, but old and stupid?"

DD used to lifeguard and said the visible tattoos on women did not seem to fare well over time (and has decided never to get one herself). I’m amazed that people can decide such a permanent thing. Some people I know have small cryptic ones, using Morse code dots and dashes, on the inner forearm to commemorate something.

I have both sleeves done. They are each 1 large piece of artwork from the wrist to the shoulder. Each one was over 10 grand and took over 100 hours each. It takes 2-3 weeks of healing after every session (~5 hours give or take) so you can imagine how long of a process it is.

I didn't start on them until I was in my 40's and didn't have any before that. I guess that I'm just old, stupid, and now broke. :(

I actually have people from all walks of life on a near daily basis ask me to lift my sleeves so that they can see the entire pieces. Other people are clearly disgusted by the artwork and have expressed their opinion on the matter to my face. My response is usually the same "thank you for your input, have a nice day."

Last edited:
They need to develop inks/techniques that cause them to instantly disappear after 5 years. Think of the added business those would generate.

DD used to lifeguard and said the visible tattoos on women did not seem to fare well over time (and has decided never to get one herself).

I've noticed the same thing at the gym.

I don't really have an opinion on them since I don't see how someone with a tattoo is harming anyone else, and evidently they wanted it because it's there. I do wonder at the motivation though.

I don't like them. However, to each his own. I've never seen anyone look good wearing one. But that is just my opinion and if someone wants one and they're old enough to make their own decision on it, whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:
I’m amazed that people can decide such a permanent thing.
I am amazed at that too. I could not imagine intentionally inserting ink into my skin to create a permanent image. Maybe, just maybe, I might consider a small and discreet tattoo that had some special meaning, but even that is unlikey.

I also think that 99% of the tattoos walking around suck something fierce. The random rose on a woman's shoulder, Chinese symbols on a guys arm, etc.....all look stupid IMO. I'm really only into large, custom pieces that require an entire arm, leg, back etc....that took a lot of planning, time, money, pain, and amazing talent by the artist. Anything and everything else is a no go and people should try to be talked out of them.

Another area that has come a long way in recent years is scar cover ups for women that have had single/double mastectomies and other surgeries. The artists specializing in this area are doing very cool things and should be commended.

Tattoo preference is one of those things that can really define which "generation" you are from, as well as where (in the US) you live. Those right behind GenX (or on the back end of it) thru the Millennial, have more tattoos than those on the front or older. A 35 year old in brooklyn today with no tattoos would be a minority.

The post-Millennials aren't going for them as much, probably quite simply because it's not cool if everyone over 30 is doing it. And so it will wax and wane.

I grew up with negative judgmental stereotypes about folks with tattoos, because that's what my parents told me. I know that's just silly trained bias, but it does get deeply ingrained.

I never got one, then again, it can take me a half hour to figure out what color for my pedicure, so no way I could pick a permanent tattoo design.

I dislike tattoos. They are vulgar and low-class.

They need to develop inks/techniques that cause them to instantly disappear after 5 years. Think of the added business those would generate.

Henna designs on women’s hands are beautiful and wear off gradually, but that is a different art. My little grandchildren have some cute temporary tattoos that I’ve considered stealing if I ever need some tattoo cred :LOL:

“A permanent reminder of a temporary feeling” . . . Jimmy Buffet.

I don’t mind a small discreet tattoo, but I really dislike the large ones that pretty much take over one’s body. Especially dislike them on women (sorry, I’m kind of old fashioned). I think they severely restrict a person’s job employment opportunities in the more professional occupations.

I have two thoughts:

1) Here is a person with poor judgment and poor long-range planning skills.

2) I wish I could find a company with a truly effective tattoo removal patent. There is a lot of money to be made there.

2) I wish I could find a company with a truly effective tattoo removal patent. There is a lot of money to be made there.

'Back when', tattoo removal left a scar that never tanned, and simply highlighted the fact that a tattoo had been there.

(Not that I'd ever wear a short sleeved shirt with a suit, but when I was obliged to wear suits I never rolled up my (long) sleeves.)

Now...approaching 76.....I don't give a .....

I am mixed about them. I agree many are just going along with a fad and will look like crap over time. Some are very nice and definitely qualify as art. I do think that some discretion is advisable as to location, especially in reference to work environment. I do think tattoos are more acceptable now than in the past.

I do laugh when a criminal with face and neck tattoos is wanted by police and they show a picture on TV, like anyone will not be found with the specific identification all over visible to all.

I do think that getting a tattoo is a personal choice and should have meaning to the person, as it is generally permanent. Not to follow the masses and get the same as everyone else tattoo.

One generation always has to remind mom and dad that they are independent. Smoking was a common way to impress this. Kids got the message that smoking is bad, so enter the tattoo. This came right after the bare-midriff stage. It was more shocking.

Now, the next generation after millennials? I don't know. They'll find something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom