Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rambler's post reminds me of the management of my (former) company. They announced a mandatory new-hire drug testing program just a few days after I returned from a sales convention. Of course, the company bought and distributed tens of thousands of dollars of a popular drug at that convention.

Imagine a poll asking "Should we legalize marijuana, subject to approximately the same restrictions as alcohol?" My rough guess from reading the posts here says that question would get a clear majority of "Yes" from these posters.

That's what I saw on such a poll on a different forum. My guess is that people who post on the net are more "libertarian" minded than the general public.

Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
eazey- im wondering about the Volcano! i have heard of them but never got to try one. can you explain how it was? i know how it works, but did it WORK?

thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
I watched a documentary film on ShoTime this morning, "American Drug War: The Last White Hope" (2007).

I have to say it was rather an eye opener for me. I would need to watch it at least a second time in order to comprehend it all,,,, it was just so shocking for me to hear many of the thngs said. The people interviewed seemed to have been quite credible with unique inside views in many instances.

I'm not really good at synopses, but some of the salient points for me:

A huge number of people are incarcerated in the USA, the vast majority of whom are non violent offenders. Privately owned/run prisons are a huge cash cows. Huge amounts of money are being spent on our "war" on drugs, and the criminalization of addiction is supplying an endless "resource" for these prisons. The CIA itself is/was involved in the actual transport of illegal drugs into the USA (Iran-Contra/Oliver North Scandal). This is related to the use of heroin, e.g., as an agent of genocide for black Americans, as well as supporting the extreme need for prisons. Even tho' we are engaged on a war on terror, with supposedly more secure borders, etc. more drugs then ever make it into the USA. Before we invaded Afghanistan, there was no heroin being imported from there as Al Qaeda had clamped down on poppy farmers. Now, 80% of our illegal heroin originates from Afghanistan.

The film made a very reasoned & convincing case for legalizing marijuana, particularly for medicinal purposes. But also that other drugs could be "tolerated" and the $ spent on the "war on drugs" would be better put to use treating addicts & education.

Here's the ShoTime schedule for when it is shown again. Showtime - Movies - American Drug War - Main
I might watch it again....... or just pull my head back under the covers.....

This is a great program, it should be required watching...this is the first time I have seen it brought out for years it has been insinuated..
kathyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:32 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
eazey- im wondering about the Volcano! i have heard of them but never got to try one. can you explain how it was? i know how it works, but did it WORK?
I don't know brands but I tried a friend's vaporizer on a trip to Hawaii and it worked quite well. Another friend was there who was recovering from lung cancer. She liked it enough that she was planning to order one.

Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote