What do your grandkids call you?

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
Inspired by Grumpy's recent blessed event, I was curious to learn what others' gkids call them.

To our 4 grandkids we are "Gramma Lynn" and "Boppa." The latter seemed to arise spontaneously on both sides without any colllusion to my knowledge -- kind of a mispronounced "grampa" that kind of stuck at Boppa.

So when their friends visit while we are there, we occasionally hear, "Tommy, this is my boppa, Boppa."

And you?

My little 4 yr old grandaughter Olivia (Libby) calls me "Pa Pa" and my wife "Honey". She melts our hearts...

We are Abuelo and Abuela ... spanish for grandfather & grandmother. I'm sure if there are any grandchildren from our other 2 offspring we will have additional, different names as well.

My grandson is too young to call me anything yet but my son and daughter are working on him by constantly calling me "Grahnd Pah Pah" with a phony upper crust accent.

Our grand kids call us Gramma and Papa. In fact, DIL refers to us by those names too. But to DS, we're still mom and dad.

I spend quite a bit of time with my oldest grandson (9 yrs old) who has cerebral palsy. I find that the folks at his school and at Easter Seals refer to me as Papa too! He apparently thinks that "Papa" is my name and instead of refering to me as his grandfather to teachers, therapists, etc., he refers to me as "Papa." When I arrive to chauffer him around, everybody knows my "name!"

My step-grandson just calls me by my first name. I think it is his mother's way of making sure I know I'm not a real grandfather.

My sister is a step-grandma. She asked the kids to refer to her as Nana. (They were going to call her "Mee-maw," but her reaction was:eek: :sick: )

Amethyst

My grandson calls me grandma and it melts my heart . Gary's grandchildren call me een because when they were young they had a hard time pronouncing my real name so it got shortened .

Inspired by Grumpy's recent blessed event, I was curious to learn what others' gkids call them.

To our 4 grandkids we are "Gramma Lynn" and "Boppa." The latter seemed to arise spontaneously on both sides without any colllusion to my knowledge -- kind of a mispronounced "grampa" that kind of stuck at Boppa.

So when their friends visit while we are there, we occasionally hear, "Tommy, this is my boppa, Boppa."

And you?

Don't have grankids yet, but I will probably be Nana, because I had a Nana.

DH will be "Bubba", as his father was "Bubba" (and often "Bub" for short) for the exact same reason as you state. DS couldn't say "Grampa" - he always said "Bubba" and it just stuck.

My first 2 grandchildren ( very close in age) actually named me Mimi when they were learning to talk. Now all 4 call me Mimi as do all their friends. Living in the south, one of their friends calls me Ms. Mimi.:)

'Gamma' and 'Pa Pa'. She can also sign (ASL) both, but gets impatient at times and combines both into her own personal sign. :)

Back
Top Bottom