Join Early Retirement Today

What does Coleman Camp Fuel Smell like ?
Old 01-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What does Coleman Camp Fuel Smell like ?

Doing a household project, and gasoline is by far the fastest solvent I have found ( cutback flooring adhesive removal) .

I tried a solvent liquid ( looks and smells like kerosene ) turns the stuff softer and gummy, a water based product that liquefies the surface only, and takes many applications.

Good ol cheap , smelly, and dangerous gasoline works great. IIRC, Coleman fuel is sim. to benzene and gasoline. I don't recall the smell , haven't used the stuff in 40 years or so. Maybe one of the retired petroleum folk's here can chime in.

Not that cheap ( $13 gallon), but might be just the ticket if it smells less than gasoline.

(PS had the adhesive tested, no asbestos in it)
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't do it. Even static electricity can set off gasoline fumes. I'd use mineral spirits and patience.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Coleman fuel used to be naphtha. Maybe it still is.

I find that rubbing alcohol is an excellent cleaning solvent. Same with acetone. Rubbing alcohol, while still fairly volatile, may be less dangerous than gas or acetone.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:51 PM   #4

did you try ammonia?

coleman fuel has benzine removed and does not have all the additive in gas... see below. I'd be careful using it is very flamable.
below from wikipedia
Quote:
Coleman fuel is a petroleum naphtha product marketed by The Coleman Company. Historically called white gas (not white spirit), it is a liquid petroleum fuel (100% light hydrotreated distillate) usually sold in one gallon cans.[1] It is used primarily for fueling lanterns and camp stoves. Additionally, it is a popular fuel for fire dancing. Originally, it was simply casing-head gas or drip gas which has similar properties. Drip gas was sold commercially at gas stations and hardware stores in North America until the early 1950s. The white gas sold today is a similar product but is produced at refineries with the benzene removed.[2][unreliable source?]

Coleman fuel is a mixture of cyclohexane, nonane, octane, heptane, and pentane.[3]

Though Coleman fuel has an octane rating of 50 to 55 and a flammability similar to gasoline, it has none of the additives found in modern gasoline and should not be used as a substitute for gasoline.[citation needed] While it will function as a fuel for gasoline engines, its high combustion temperature and lack of octane boosting additives could damage engine valves[citation needed], while its low octane rating and lack of anti-knock agents can produce knocking that could lead to bearing and piston rod damage, so such use should only be considered for emergencies and/or very short distances. And like gasoline, it should not be used as a substitute for kerosene or diesel fuel. However, it is quite popular as a fuel for model engines, where the low octane rating is not a problem, additives are unwanted, and the clean burning, low odor and longer shelf life are considered advantages.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:23 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Stop it! I'm a chemical engineer with 38 years of oil refinery experience. Gasoline is highly explosive and it will kill you. It also is carcinogenic and highly toxic. Use one of the less effective commercial solvents. Thousands of people have been killed or disfigured using gasoline as a cleaner. It works great right up until the ambulance takes you away.
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
did you try ammonia?

coleman fuel has benzine removed and does not have all the additive in gas... see below. I'd be careful using it is very flamable.
below from wikipedia
Awesome, think it smells like old time gasoline?

I used to siphon diesel, kerosene, and old leaded gas back in the '70s. That's how we transferred fuel at logging sites. When you were out in remote places often we would wash our hands of the grease with gas before eating.

I really would NOT suggest doing this with gas, or anything that flammable. Seriously if you can't find the right stuff, hire it done. From a buddies personal experience you Really don't want to go to the burn unit.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:10 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have laid quite a bit of 3" x 36" vinyl strip flooring with a Tarkett/Domco mastic.

Charcoal lighter fluid on a rag is recommended to clean the excess glue that squeezed out of the cracks. It's much less volatile than gasoline and it did the job for me.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:31 PM   #8

This is the "Dreaded" black cutback mastic adhesive . It was applied in 1942. Flooring contractors usually cut out the sub-floor and replace if on wood, and use shot-blasting if on concrete with this stuff. Sometimes it also contains asbestos fibers, although not on this application.

Just as ask flooring or demolition contractor about black cutback adhesive, you will get a frown.

The petroleum solvent I bought , intended for this stuff smells like kerosene , with a dye. Softens it into a gummy mess.

I think lighter fluid is sim. to Coleman Fuel.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:31 PM   #9

No matter what you use, I believe you'll be applying a liberal amount of elbow grease as well.

Please don't use gasoline or other seriously combustible solvent. Get help.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:38 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
I think lighter fluid is sim. to Coleman Fuel.
Both are naptha
http://www.nafaa.org/Coleman_MSDS.pdf
http://www.ronson.com/en/Safety%20Da...20May%2008.pdf
Old 01-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #11

I would just scrape what I could then put down a thin coat of self leveling compound then do what ever floor finish if on a slab, if it's on wood I would then put down a layer of 1/8 in plywood, then finish flooring. No way am I going to use a flammable solution in the house.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:15 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Doing a household project, and gasoline is by far the fastest solvent I have found...
If you aren't already a boomer you could become one.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:29 PM   #13

I came across this: someone making his own home brew campfuel from gasoline. Glad he doesn't live next door.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

There's always a different way to view things.

Tis a brand new year. Many new ideas are needed. As well as Darwin Awards.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:08 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I would just scrape what I could then put down a thin coat of self leveling compound then do what ever floor finish if on a slab, if it's on wood I would then put down a layer of 1/8 in plywood, then finish flooring. No way am I going to use a flammable solution in the house.
I agree with Steve 100%. Cover that old floor up.

If you were putting down porcelain or ceramic tile, you could cover it up with the thin Wonderboard backerboard set by thinset.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:39 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I agree with Steve 100%. Cover that old floor up.

If you were putting down porcelain or ceramic tile, you could cover it up with the thin Wonderboard backerboard set by thinset.
I'll 3rd that - why remove it if you can cover it? Lazy is a virtue.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'll 3rd that - why remove it if you can cover it? Lazy is a virtue.

-ERD50
Fourth.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveark View Post
Stop it! I'm a chemical engineer with 38 years of oil refinery experience. Gasoline is highly explosive and it will kill you. It also is carcinogenic and highly toxic.
I think Tesla stock just went up again.

Think about it. If we were all driving electric cars at their current state of the art, and somebody invented the IC engine using gasoline at its current state of the art. Would they be allowed to sell it today? My guess is that this dangerous, flammable, cancer causing liquid would never be allowed for use by the consumer.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #19

When I was a kid we used to camp and IIRC used "white gas" in the Coleman lantern and stove. Wasn't that just unleaded gas? All this by father, a chem e.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
When I was a kid we used to camp and IIRC used "white gas" in the Coleman lantern and stove. Wasn't that just unleaded gas? All this by father, a chem e.
Yep. .....and I used to siphon gas between cars by sucking it through a hose with my mouth and spitting out the extra.