Join Early Retirement Today

What does semi-retired mean?
Old 02-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What does semi-retired mean?

I feel very retired b/c I bailed from the demands of trial attorney work in an ever expanding aggressive law firm. However, I planted myself in an assistantship program (meaning I teach a class and take full time grad courses) as a severely non-traditional student. While I now have long breaks between academic semesters (though, being the workaholic I am, I did summer school), I work very hard week to week in my program; more than a 40 hour work week. But it doesn't feel anything like the grind of the legal career. It is, for the most part . . . fun. I could go on but what I am wondering is how others define that stage between bailing from the desperation of competing for the pile of chips that will enable you to say sayanora (or FU as the case may be) and planting the ass firmly on the rocking chair.
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What does semi-retired mean?
Old 02-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well I think this is a good issue to explore and I am SURE that there is no one right answer for everyone. When I read Bob Clyatt’s book, “Work Less, Live More” I realized it just didn’t apply to me. (And I have recommended the book to others who I do see it fitting). A lot has to do with how much you like your work and what the alternatives are. I have been in a management position for some time, when I reflect on what I would do if I had to get a job in retirement, I joked that I would want a manual job; “Where ‘ya want this box, boss?” kind of thing, anything not involving managing, my brain is just tired. If I need more money in order to retire I would just stay where I am and work some more, nothing is going to pay me more.

But for some folks working part time is really great. MY wife retired from teaching last year. She has a few hours a week job placing student teachers in classrooms. She loves the contact with the schools, teachers and the university. The pay is not significant but she likes that she is getting a check.

I am not the kind of person that brings work home. If I have to do more than 40 hours a week my first choice is come in early, second is work late, third is weekend time. But I will not bring work home, that is my family space. Yet I know others who work successfully from home.

Things may change when I actually retire, but for now I see retirement as not working at all, I really don't know what semi-retired is.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
I have been in a management position for some time, when I reflect on what I would do if I had to get a job in retirement, I joked that I would want a manual job; “Where ‘ya want this box, boss?” kind of thing, anything not involving managing, my brain is just tired.
A retired friend of mine in Monterey used to give his spouse a domestic-togetherness break with his part-time job three days a week.

Each workday he'd walk four miles (hilltop Pacific Grove down to Monterey), restock a liquor store for eight hours (wine & scotch cases by the truckload), and walk home. He smiled all the way because he couldn't believe that he was getting paid to exercise.

He was 86 years old at the time.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

My mother worked 20 hours a week at the local library from age 60 to 75 until her arthritis got too bad.

My father never totally retired. He would leave the house each weekday and observe what was going on in town, give advice to people (blue collar consulting?), and have a beer at some local establishment.